Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2009, 01:21 AM   #1

k10d Autofocus hunting

Hi, I haven't found any postings about this, so I thought I'd ask. I find that my k10d hunts to find focus rather frequently, even on things that have contrast (grass blades in snow for instance) and that more annoyingly, the camera will send the focus ring so that it's set to the opposite of infinity focus, and gets stuck there. I can have the camera try and re-focus on the target but it doesn't focus after about 4-5 trys. ALso, this happens primarily outside, where there generally is enough contrast for the autofocus system to pick it up. Any thoughts?

01-28-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
Forum Member

I think things like grass blades tend to confuse the AF if allowed to automatically choose the AF point. In situations like that I'll set the point manually, or use the center point, set the camera on AF.s, focus on the subject, reframe and take the shot. Hope this helps.

Presto
01-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When I have a problem with my K10D hunting for focus, I have found that quickly doing a DOF optical preview (p170-172 in K10D manual) usually allows the camera to then lock focus. Don't know why exactly, but it works 90% of the time.
01-29-2009, 04:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only really had trouble with mine in low light conditions, that have been a bit annoying at times.

01-29-2009, 08:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

have you calibrated the body with the 1.1 firmware (debug mode) or the 1.3 firmware mod via pc app?

i'd be surprised if any k10d shipped with proper focus calibration; mine needed a +100uM adjustment and now the af is much faster/accurate.
02-01-2009, 08:32 AM   #6

Original Poster
[Edit] Bah, I just figured out how to get to the menu.
02-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #7

Maybe some dust on the AF module?
02-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Presto Quote
I think things like grass blades tend to confuse the AF if allowed to automatically choose the AF point. In situations like that I'll set the point manually, or use the center point, set the camera on AF.s, focus on the subject, reframe and take the shot. Hope this helps.

Presto
I think this guy has it right. The AF system can get pretty confused (in pretty much all cameras) when there are narrow things to focus on.

02-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #9

The AF field ist bigger than the red LED.
02-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #10

K10D focusing

Just returned from a week birding in Mexico with my new DA300 and K10D combination.
So far, it’s a love/hate relationship and I experienced exactly your problem with refusal to focus. There were many, many times when the lens simply would not focus. Even in broad daylight with normal scenes the lens would often turn to the minimum focus setting and stay there. I had to manually refocus (thank God for the Quick-shift) out to almost infinity to get it to re-focus.

I will certainly try the manual DOF trick.

Some replies to my post on DPR suggested the state of the battery has a lot to do with the focusing, but other than ensuring it is charged fequently, I am not sure what else to do.
At one stage, I thought that I had improved things by slightly tilting the camera, to try to have the subject (usually a grass stem or branch) cross the focsus sensor at an angle, rather than directly in line with it. I will continue to experiment with this.

Two Jugs
12-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for your suggestions and information on focusing. I hadn't realized that it looks for contrasts as a point to focus on. The hunt continues to find a better way to have autofocus work, and until then, it's manual focus all the way.
12-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find that my K10 works much better when AF is set to centre point only. Probably, any one point would have the same effect. I did experiment the other night with auto select, just for the heck of it, and found that the camera does not like dark complected people (our new priest is from India) and focuses on the background where there is more contrast. Very annoying. Back to centre point only for me. As others say, your mileage may vary.