Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K20D dealer: "prophotobags" ??

Hello, All:

As mentioned in other threads, there is an Amazon Marketplace seller moving K20Ds for mid 600 dollars. Name is prophotobags. The feedback seems to be okay, but I'm cautious, especially when B&H and Buydig are about 100 dollars more.

Has anyone bought a K20D from these folks? Any other sellers doing good deals on body only?

Regards,

germar

01-28-2009, 03:14 PM   #2

I'm very cautious about them as well, but they've been tempting me. What concerns me is that they'll be the low price, then only minutes or hours later, they won't show up. It makes me concerned they don't keep a good stock on hand and are trying for a bait and switch. I get so paranoid with online shopping.
01-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
Damn Brit

For a long while now, I've been suspicious that Amazon sellers take turns at having the lowest price so they all get a crack at it.
01-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #4

I've purchased from them, they are Carmen's in Canada, aka prodigital2000 on ebay. So all the usual caveats about prodigital2000 apply (slow, unresponsive, great prices and good product). Except I supposed you have Amazon's guarantees to back you up as well.

01-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #5
Inactive Account

My gf got my K20D from there for my x-mas gift and I got the grip/battery/remote package from them. Both times the Ebay/Paypal/Microsoft Cashback route was taken. Shipping was quick and items were new in box as advertised.

Though I will admit we were leary to try them but our doubts were unfounded
01-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
I have a K20D coming in tomorrow (fingers and toes crossed) from them. Took a over week to be shipped out because they had a large order from Pentax 'stuck in customs'.... It was a bit fishy because depending who you talked to some of them hadn't heard anything about the 'customs' issues......

Anyway, UPS says it'll be here tomorrow...
01-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
Forum Member

I bought my K20d from them through e-bay, and had no problems. It shipped out quickly, and they communicated well. I also, unknowingly, bought my LowePro camera bag from them under the name "prophotobags" through Amazon. It suprised me when the confirmation e-mail stated that it was coming from Ontario Limited. It was the same name that I got when I ordered my camera. Again, the bag came through with no hitches, and good communication from the seller. I have no reservations about ordering from them at this point.

01-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
BPT
Veteran Member

I noticed they popped up under the list of sellers on Amazon as the lowest price just after I bought an "open box" k20d from amazon for $659. The open box is guaranteed and it is described as minor damage to the outer box, and it is still facotory sealed.

So for $10 more and a damaged outer box, currently I trust amazon more I think, but that is my feeling
01-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I too bought from prodigital off their ebay site, and everything showed up as promised (bought a body, flash and case) so no complaints from my end. I've read some people saying that returning a lemon is difficult though, but fortunately I did not have to look into this as my stuff was/is fine.
01-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #10

I bought from them a couple weeks ago, got a good price as well! They had issues getting the order in from Pentax, and I was told the same customs thing, which is kind of annoying. It's on route to my house though! I trust them, and might buy a bag from them considering the prices!
01-29-2009, 10:54 PM   #11

I also managed to get an auctioned K20D body from ProDigital (Carmen's) a couple of weeks ago. Made payment. Received e-receipt. Then got an e-mail explaining a delay in shipment of stock with the option of waiting to have item shipped out once stock came in or get a complete refund. I waited about 5 days then called them up and requested a refund. Refund given without any issues. Now I'm simply waiting to confirm this on my CC statement which I don't foresee any issue there. Fine service.
02-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #12

I just placed an order a 50mm FA 1.4 from them, shipped out about 2 days, it's based in ON, Canada. my package is on the way, so it shouldn't be any issue order from them.
02-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #13
Inactive Account

What does it mean if the way of manufacture warranty if you live in the US and buy body, lenses, flash, etc. from Canada?
02-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #14

I purchased a k20d and da-40mm from them, thru Amazon. I had no idea that they were based in Ontario, however. I received a UPS tracking notice -- separate from and prior to geting Amazon tracking notice -- the day after I'd placed the order. Order placed on 01/29 and items arrived on 02/03, having spent the weekend sitting in Syracuse -- I'd say fast delivery for free shipping.

I haven't had much time to sort thru the warranty cards yet. I'd guess that warranty covers both sides of the border. Curiously, the packing slip, obviously checked by US Customs, had a declared value of only $180 -- small enough to avoid duty, I suppose. I wonder if that was also the insured value ...
02-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Their prices have gone up. $699 now.
I used to always look at the prices of the K20D and they offered it the lowest...then.
I guess instead of K20D prices going down because of a rumour of upcoming new models, but they actually shot up!