Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2007, 07:18 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
A few more,

QANTAS getting in on the act.

The Roulettes, flying PC-9 Trainers

And finally the F-111C's signature move, the Dump and Burn.

They achieve this by dumping fuel into the After Burner Stream, the pilots have to be careful when they do this that the After Burner doesn't make them go Supersonic as they are hiking it (going very fast) when they do these passes.

Once again all shot with the k10D and Samsung 50-200.

03-27-2007, 02:27 AM   #17
Forum Member

Cideway was not alone

I was also at Airshow Downunder but being an old fogie my subjects are in the main a little more sedate. I just love the oldies.

The magnificent Super Connie...

A Black Cat...

The timeless DC3
This is a real DC3 delivered before WWII.

Not so old just plain (plane?) crazy...

...and Friday night's Finale.

Cheers from Oz
03-27-2007, 02:34 AM   #18
Forum Member

The Bulldog aerobatic performance at the Australian Avalon Airshow last Friday afternoon.

Pentax K10D - Samsung 50-200mm Lens at 200mm, 1/750 at f/8.0, ISO 200, JPEG

I shot in JPEG as I had been checking for sensor cleanliness while preparing for the trip - Doh!!

Switched to RAW soon after - I also took about 2000 images - got more than 1500 images out of one battery - pleased with the capacity when you include the chimping

Rod

Last edited by RodConn; 03-27-2007 at 02:40 AM.
03-27-2007, 02:42 AM   #19
Forum Member

Cideway was not alone Pt 2

The continuing story..
These are my first two posts...please be kind.

All with K10D and DA 50-200

Another flag

The Hawk advanced trainer

This guy could fly. He wrung the little plane's neck. And just like the car racing drivers finished with a burnout!!

As always the mandatory Dump and Burn!

ten Stick of Dynamite. This rotine was ..er..well just unbelievable. This was the BIG finish!

By the way, I think this forum is just a little saner that that other place.
Nice to see some familiar "faces".

Cheers from Oz

03-27-2007, 02:45 AM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UltraWide Quote
I was also at Airshow Downunder but being an old fogie my subjects are in the main a little more sedate. I just love the oldies.

The magnificent Super Connie...

Cheers from Oz
Nice shot of the Connie - I had the luck to travel to England in one of those back in 1950 as a 9 year old - was a thrill to see and hear it again after 50+ years.

Rod
03-27-2007, 02:51 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Wow. That is some great photos. The two of the F15 would be my favourits. The one with the skydiver and the flag really stands out. Great job.

Cheers

Eddie
03-27-2007, 03:24 AM   #22
Forum Member

Did someone mention the F15????

Someone mentioned the F15.

I couldn't resist...

This is some spectacular take-off!!

Cheers from Oz
03-27-2007, 06:06 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Wow, that is an amazing series of photos! It seems like a real party going on there.

Did you guys line up long for the ticket or how did you squeeze through the crowd to get these shots?

03-28-2007, 08:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Great photos, Chris. I particularly like the parachutist with the Aussie flag, but they are all excellent. Nicely captured series.
04-01-2007, 01:25 PM   #25

36GB of RAW. Wow!

I like the parachutist and the flag; and the Roulettes.

I took around 1,500 JPG images at Biggin Hill in an afternoon last year with my *ist DS. I had two 512MB SD cards and a Jobo GIGA One and each time I filled a card up, I put it in the Jobo and put the downloaded card back in the camera. I didn't lose any images, but I did get one lot duplicated on the Jobo when I wasn't sure if I'd copied them or not, so copied them again to be on the safe side.

I loaded the firmware upgrade with continuous AF that morning, and it worked really well. I did find that sometimes my Sigma 28-300 lost focus and shot out to infinity and I had to zoom it out to get it to find the aircraft again. I changed to my second set of rechargeable AAs late in the day, so probably got over 1,000 shots on the first set.

One thing I learned was that you don't really need to keep your finger permanently on the shutter button. Five or six of the same thing are still the same thing, and it's a nightmare trawling through them all later. I've separated out the ones I like best, but I have yet to tweak them months later!

You've inspired me to go back. I, too, have pictures of a Catalina. In fact, we saw it flying over our house a couple of months ago, so it must be based somewhere in the UK and go into Biggin Hill at times other than the Air Fair.

Last edited by HelenEdith; 04-01-2007 at 01:59 PM.
04-01-2007, 01:57 PM   #26

Airshow Up Over (Biggin Hill 2006)

With the exception of the Sea Vixen, these are all straight out of the camera. (*ist DS)

Vintage airliner

Biplane

Red Bull Matadors

Sea Vixen

Catalina

Gyrocopter

Light plane on a commercial flight
04-01-2007, 05:30 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, some nice old memories! My parents flew cross country in a three tailed Constellation when I was about 6. I saw the military version when I was in Thailand in 1971. I did not get to see the F111, they were grounded when I was overseas. I think I see the tail of the radar version of a Boing 707?, we called it AWACS, don't know if that is the name used down there. I've flown in a DC-3 as a child.
04-01-2007, 06:07 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello HelenEdith,

Nice photos of the British Air Show!

The amphibian has markings that I think of as US aircraft, or is that symbol used in the UK well?

I gave my wife an istD when they first came out. She uses it with a Pentax 50mm Macro for flowers, butterflies, etc. But when she travels she takes her (Am I allowed to say this?) Fuji S5200 because of is light weight with 10x Zoom.
04-02-2007, 06:15 AM   #29

Leo, I'll have to ask my other half about the markings on the Catalina. He's a lot more knowledgable than I am about such things.

We've seen a white Catalina at times other than the Air Fair, and presume it to be the same one, so it's possible that whatever her markings, she's UK based.

Some of the aircraft on display were defiitely wearing US markings - memorably, the "Sally B" was there! I'd better dig out a picture. I think it needs a bit of levels and curves before I post it - unlike most of what I posted yesterday, which came straight out of the camera. I think I used spot metering that day (must check the EXIF data) and it did a good job for the most part.

Most of my pictures are of propellor aircraft. There were some jets there, but they went faster than I could frame and pan! I do have some shots of a Learjet. It's based at Biggin Hill and its owner displayed it in the Air Show.

Helen
04-08-2007, 04:44 AM   #30
Forum Member

Hi Leo,

LeoTaylor wrote; "Wow, some nice old memories! My parents flew cross country in a three tailed Constellation when I was about 6. I saw the military version when I was in Thailand in 1971. I did not get to see the F111, they were grounded when I was overseas. I think I see the tail of the radar version of a Boing 707?, we called it AWACS, don't know if that is the name used down there. I've flown in a DC-3 as a child."

A great two and a half days!! Very observant about the AWACS. There were two, one from the RAF and one from the USAF. The USAF E3 had the original Pratt and Whitney smoke generators but the RAF one had CFM56's. The Americans have always strongly supported this show plus the Brits and Singapore. NZ doesn't have too much in the way of boys toys any more.

Cheers from Oz