Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What age group do you fit in?
0-16 61.23%
17-19 224.53%
20-24 5912.14%
25-29 7114.61%
30-39 9218.93%
40-49 9619.75%
50-59 9319.14%
60-70 387.82%
70+ 71.44%
Don't care 20.41%
Voters: 486. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #91
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I couldn't vote for my 18 year old daughter, who is a committed pentaxian and owner of a white K-x as well as a SP1000. I have a feeling she'll be a pentaxian for a long while, unless of course she goes successful pro and gets tempted by equipment Pentax doesn't make & support Pentax doesn't give.
My daughter was seduced by an ebay Rebel in 2005.

The good news she's still my daughter.
The better news is she gave me back my KX.

02-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Average Age

Hi All,
Should'nt one have 2 answers to poll, How old?, and How old you feel?
I remember seeing first pentax, some body with Honeywell/pentax logo
in mid 60's. Made association because parents super 8 home movie setup
was Honeywell.Can assume my dad bought spotmatic in early 70's
because of same association. Ive wondered in the past, how strong that
loyalty was in other people, if it was a factor for people that bought pentax
in the 70's and 80's
02-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #93
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

This is definitely a good question to ask to profile existing Pentax users. But the one that Pentax is probably more interested in is something like "What age segment currently has the largest disposable income available for dslrs & accessories" - ie which segment do we target for our next 3 years new revenue.

On another note it's interesting to compare it to population demographics. In the UK I think 43 is the most common age if I remember rightly, hence so many things are targeted at us 43 year olds.
02-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #94

Just joined the 30s

I got the K20D which was my first DSLR early last year... was actually going for a Canon rebel/400d but when I did more investigation I decided upon Pentax. Also helped that the father in law had Pentax years ago and still had some old lenses... as was his 60th last year we also got him a K20D. (actually bought his first and mine shortly after)

02-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #95
Pentaxian

Not quite to the 30s yet, but I learned photography with my K1000 many years ago. I tried a few other "digital" brands, but never found anything I liked. I decided to try a K10D as I still had my K1000 and an assortment of lenses from 20 years ago. Needless to say I still have my K10D and my K1000, along with a few more lenses!
02-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #96
Site Supporter

I am in the current slight majority group of this poll, the 40-49 class. I also got started in photography with a K1000 havng used a very similiar Minolta I think that belonged to an aunt and wanting more than the disc camera of the 80's offered.
A girlfriend, with help from her father, selected the K1000 for me as a gift and never really cared or saw the need to move to any other manufacturer. I was happy with Pentax and the products to use with Pentax so why switch when Pentax made cameras that fulfilled my wishlists?
I had looked at other systems in the 90's but was still very happy with film, Pentax and three different Pentax film cameras when my mother in law gave me a Kodak digital point and shoot which really promoted sharing images of daily life and our budding family. I had taken notice of how digitals were getting better and what Canon, Nikon and Pentax offered in slr. Then my wife surprised me with a nice Nikon dslr; which was a great camera but after doing some research and finding what was available from Pentax, most of the arguements made more sense to stay with Pentax. Took the Nikon back and got the K10.
02-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #97
Site Supporter

One thing I've noticed reading these responses is that Pentax Marketing seems to have had little effect to the posters on this thread. I also did a lot of research before buying. I am 55 and have had my K20D for about 7 months. I had no lenses from any manufacturer. I had used Nikons in a photojournalism class in the 70s, they were good. When the digital age started I had a Nikon P&S at work, then upgraded to a Nikon D70, a fine camera. At home I had bought a Minolta Z2, it served me well. Lots of research led me to Pentax, as others have stated"best bang for the buck". And as also mentioned previously, feel is important. Hardly anyone has a Pentax on the shelf but I did find one somewhere and it felt good. I will have to say that the Nikons have a good feel too. I had decided that in-camera stabilization was a feature I wanted. That eliminated Nikon and Canon. I had actually used a couple of Sony P&S cameras at work and they were weak performers. Another department at work got an Alpha 100. I got a chance to try it out and it did not impress at all.

I bought Pentax and I'm happy. Interestingly my son had an Olympus P&S that he liked very well. It developed some problems and quit working after 3 or 4 years. He went with an Olympus DSLR because he liked the color results on his P&S. Maybe Pentax should make some really good P&S cameras and sell them really cheap, that might be a good marketing strategy.
02-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #98
Veteran Member

I'm 19, so I fall into the second group. I'm kinda surprised to see how little younger Pentax users there are, although I suppose that may change with the "hip and cool" multi colored K-x that wasn't out when this poll was created.

Still, what drew me to Pentax wasn't the colors of the K-x; I bought a black one. I fell for the in body stabilization, legacy lens support, and overall package that the K-x gives me. When the time comes that I'm more confident with photography and master the basics, I can move up without breaking the bank (although recent price trends seem to have made Pentax lenses more comparable to others brands- not overly expensive, but not the bargain I hear they used to be).

Recently, I've stopped carrying around my K-x everywhere. It was getting to be a hassle keeping it in my backpack with books and notebooks, so I've started to carry an older, ironically enough, Samsung P&S that I've had for a long time, but never been able to fully take advantage of and understand. I guess I was always somewhat close to Pentax

But, once the weather gets warmer and the workload lessens up a bit (hah), maybe I'll be able to get in a day long shooting session outside.

Last edited by wshi; 02-19-2010 at 09:46 PM.
02-20-2010, 12:02 AM   #99
Pentaxian

I'm 20, I'm guessing the K-x might've increased the younger votes 0-16, 17-19, and 20-24. Not surprised that there are significantly more older people using Pentax.
02-20-2010, 09:31 PM   #100
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
50-59'er

I seem to recall a Pentax in the family as a teenager..early 70's. That must have what triggered my purchase of a used P3n 40 years later.
02-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #101
Veteran Member

My Pentax (Samsung) story.

I'm 21 now and so am part of the minority here. Problem is - like already mentioned - this thread only represents the forum users but you can't say how old the average Pentax owner really is. Especialy with the release of the K-x I guess many people bought a DSLR that wouldn't have if it wan't so cheap.

Anyway, my photography "career" started something like 2 years ago.
Caused by the fact the camera I had then was a ~2yr old Kodak Easyshare something I wanted something better. Back then I didn't really thought of DSLRs because of it's cost. Waaay too expensive. Of course I wanted one but after reading a lot of reviews and tests I bought a Panasonic FZ18.
Not a bad camera but soon after I got it I realized I'm too demanding and its higher ISO performance didn't match my expectations. Quite noisy at ISO400 and because of the tiny sensor smeary pictures.

Driven by jealousy (somebody else had a 400D) and my need for something better I began my quest for a new camera. Needless to say, the first cameras I looked at were Canons - the 400D.
After a lot of reading - again my listt of posibble cameras included Sony's A350, Olympus' E510 and Pentax' K10D. Pentax was extremely attractive to me bacause it offers the in-body stabilization and also because it supports older lenses - wasn't a priority back then but I thought it could be handy (yes it is). The Sony was dismissed for its weak IQ (and more I don't really remember), the Olympus for its tiny viewfinder and low DR. So this left me with the K10D. At this time there was the K20D already released. Always wanting more I tried to find one fairly priced.
I was lucky - so I got a almost new Samsung GX20 for 575€.
Otherwise I wouldn't own one.

So my first "real" camera was a pro-amateur model
At first I was shocked over the fact someone would pay $400 for a lens.
By now I must have spend nearly $1000. I still got every lens considerably cheap.
But now being in the deadly circle that is called LBA I still "need" more lenses - 3 are on my list: Sigma 10-20, Sigma 28 f/1.8 Macro and Tamron 70-200.

Unsurprisingly I don't earn anything with photography - so I'm just wasting my money for fun.

Rather long text but now you now why someone uses Pentax.
02-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #102
Veteran Member

Got the K10D, went into to look at a D80 and was seduced by the handling.

Researched everything to death and really liked what I saw. Plus I got it on Boxing day for a "good deal". (I'm shocked when I look back and think how much I paid).
02-21-2010, 11:18 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Just turned 52

My slr life started in the mid 80's with a Minolta X700 and MD50mm/1.7 . Added a MD28mm/2.8, MD70-210mm/4 and Vivitar TC, a Metz 45CT1 and a MD35-105mm/3.5-4.5.

Used it till about two years ago when I decided to leave it at home during a holiday in favour of an (advanced) P&S which screwed up most wildlife photos due to focusing on foreground subjects instead of on distant subjects after it woke up out of sleep mode

Researched and found a K10D to be the best value for money (end of 2008). Got it with a DA18-55mm AL-II.
02-22-2010, 06:47 AM   #104

Original post by Damn Brit "The gadget loving demographic is the only one I can think of that might invest heavily in these new cameras but that is going to piss off a lot of us because they won't keep buying unless new features are constantly added. Some (or many) of us won't keep buying if the cameras become feature heavy. Again new owners will rise at the cost of losing existing owners."

For hobbyists like me, its definitely about gadgets, just ask my wife!!! All my other hobbies are like that too, but there comes a point, for me, that I realize that the newest whiz bang product is not going to make me do a thing better. But JEEZ its cool.

Pro's on the other hand want the tools to do more, faster, and better. And I suspect that cost is irrevelant to them.

Last edited by Gene Temple; 02-22-2010 at 06:55 AM.
02-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #105
Pentaxian

49 here... As a kid I used those little 110 fiilm-cartridge cameras :-) Eventually my dad let me use his 35mm (no recollection what it was, unfortunately I have no idea what happened to it...). As a high school graduation present to myself I got a brand-spanking-new K1000 (hey it was what I could afford...). A few years and a bunch of film later, I acquired access to a nice little ME Super and a few nice hunks of SMC-M glass that came along with the new spousal unit Not ownership, mind you, just *access*...

Digital came along and I had a couple of P&S models that served well. My digital Pentax came along as a Christmas present - SWMBO decided that she was tired of me dithering about spending the $$$ to get a better camera and got me a K100D from our local store.

Still have it, it still takes great photos, and it still gets use out those old SMC-M lenses when I feel like it

Jim