Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What age group do you fit in?
0-16 61.23%
17-19 224.52%
20-24 5912.11%
25-29 7114.58%
30-39 9319.10%
40-49 9619.71%
50-59 9319.10%
60-70 387.80%
70+ 71.44%
Don't care 20.41%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I was reading a discussion of Pentax Marketing and service now that so much of the business is done online. Partly because there are so many fewer stores to show products (the Mom and Pop business is all but gone).

With Pentax Marketing what it is, are we a group of older shooters in general? I'm an older shooter...I'm 59.People who learned to shoot for the first time on a K1000 or Spotmatic and have some brand loyalty or a closet full of backward compatible lenses? I worked for a publishing company back in the '60's. I was an editorial assistant and one day the publisher told me I would have to make myself more useful, by also taking pictures. They had to be publication quality and he told me to check with the photography dept. and get either a Nikon or a Pentax SLR. Back in those days Canon didn't have much of a presence. I bought a Pentax S1a and a Sekonic hand held light meter. So I learned to shoot first time with a Pentax and I mean really shoot using a light meter and the pictures had to be good. The S1a and the Sekonic didn't let me down.

Are they missing the boat with the new, younger customer looking for the first camera? Not because the KM (K2000D) isn't a great camera but because it's not hyped much and on fewer shelves. My recent issue of Outdoor Photographer has 2 full page ads for Sigma (sure they have a large lens lineup) and one for Olympus near the front of the mag. Even Tokina has a full page ad and they are a very small company. I agree completely. Canon has an interesting ad campaign featuring one of the popular, younger female singers...don't know her name, but know she is very popular with the younger set. They run ads with her shooting all sorts of pix with a basic Canon DSLR. Inspired advertising...Canon are aggressively and effectively pursuing the youth market. I'm also a car buff and remember the '60's when GM actively pursued the youth market...because that's where their lifetime customers would come from if they could hook them early...on Camaros, Chevelle SS 396's, GTO's etc. Back in the '60's I had a Camaro RS 327, 4 speed, my buddy a Chevy Nova SS 350...today...both are still long term GMers...I have a big Buick sedan...he also has a Buick sedan. I think the fact that GM hooked us effectively many years ago, had something to do with it. Nowadays...Toyota and Honda are hooking the youth market and their sales are soaring.
At one time just about everybody had a K1000...the simple, basic SLR that was priced right. Pentax advertised regularly in the photo enthusiast's magazines, all camera stores had Pentax SLR.
The marketing has changed now with the influx of big block electronic stores, that usually feature Canon and Nikon, but rarely Pentax. I feel if Pentax became a 'known' once again in the youth market and if enough people went into these stores asking to see their non existent Pentax line...the big blocker would add Pentax....as the old saying you can't sell from an empty wagon is true.

Nothing from Pentax, even though the camera is featured in one article and Kerrick James is featured in a seperate multi-page article and discusses Pentax a little. It would have been a perfect month to advertise in that magazine. Kerrick James showing off his stuff and the fact that Pentax makes weathersealed bodies and lenses suited to the Outdoor Photographer audience. I got the same magazine ....you are right on the money.

So is the line supported by older shooters that knew Pentax back in the day when millions of Pentax cameras where out taking pictures? (Remember when Pentax was the first company to hit 10 Million SLR's in sales?)

When you vote, I'd be curious to know if you brought a Pentax because you had lenses from older cameras or just chose the brand for other reasons. I had older gear and just evolved to Digital's from film.
I had 3 Pentax SLR's...my trusty 40 + year old S1a, my '74 ES 11, my (wife's) K1000 and a number of lens, equipment. But I didn't automatically go to the K10D. Before the K10D I looked at the ist and frankly I was not impressed. So much so, that I agonized long and hard thinking maybe it's time to make the change with digital. I seriously considered the Canon 30D and the Nikon 200D. Then the Pentax K10D came out. I read a lot about this marvel, tried it, looked at all the great features...shake reduction in the body, not in the lenses like N and C, well sealed, rugged....alll sorts of customizable features that appeal to an long time photographer like me, rugged, robust build. Pentax convinced me by their product...to go Pentax and after more than a year with the K10D....I'm happy. I also bought the 16-45, 55-300 and 50 f1.4 Pentax lenses...they're great. I do use my old Pentax lenses (notably my '84...35-105 Macro Zoom A)...but mostly I use the new Pentax lenses.

I thought I should add that in the 40 + years I've been an avid photographer....I just haven't bought Pentax. Over the years I've picked up a Leica Rangefinder, Mamiya medium format, 220 Pro - F TLR with 3 lenses, Olympus clamshell, Pentax P+S, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta (medium format)...all film and a digital (bought in '04..because of the 'Leica" lens... Panasonic Lumix DMC8 with aforementioned Leica lens. I don't have a lot of problems with any of them....but Pentax SLR's....including the K10D have always been the mainstay equipment of my photography....although as i said before...I almost left Pentax...until they brought out the K10D. I sometimes wonder if the K10D and the K100...saved them...at least for now ? I almost didn't buy Pentax as for awhile...especially after the demise of Konica-Minolta ( a shocker to me...I know, I know Sony picked up the ashes and rose Phoenix like, etc.)......I wondered if Pentax was next. Hope it continues as they churn out fine products....but they need better marketing...or should I say....marketing, IMO. This going to their website that Pentax seems to promote as their advertising...isn't going to cut it...IMO.. Pentax makes fine equipment we all seem to agree....now the next move is Pentax/Hoya...they need to aggressively promote this valuable brand.....Pentax quality shouldn't be word of mouth only....
I do hope Ned B. and the powers that be at Pentax, read this informal, but well crafted customer survey...there's lot's of good info from Pentax owners that needs to be discussed at Pentax / Hoya Corp.

Last edited by lesmore49; 02-04-2009 at 11:05 AM.
02-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Practical Photography Magazine

In the January 2009 issue of Practical Photography there is an included 42 page handout "Real-Life Camera Manual" subtitled "Jargon Free Advice for all DSLR users" published "in association with Pentax" and of course all the examples use the control layout of the K20D and the menus are K20D menus.

The front cover is that back side of a K20D with a full page ad for the K20D on the inside front cover. The back cover is an advertisement for the K-M. The chapter contents are:
  • Going beyond Auto
  • Sunset
  • Portraits
  • Nature
  • Pets
  • Glossary of Photo terms.
I think this is a great advertising tool. It is unfortunate that Pentax does not target the North American audience more. My French magazine, Chasseur d'Images also prominently features Pentax equipment. It appears that Pentax Europe does a much better job of advertising and promotion than here at home.
Unfortunately.
02-04-2009, 11:11 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting topic but statistically insignificant. I have so many friends and aquaintences that shoot with DSLRs, of all kinds, that do not ever read or post in camera specific forums or in Photography forums at all.

All this poll will really tell you is what the age distribution of Pentax Forums visitors are. You might speculate as to the age distribution of Pentax users, but there is simply no way to authenticate any conclusions you want to draw from this poll.

That said, I started shooting Pentax Just after High School after a short stint with a Canon TX then AE-1. My first Pentax is still in my posession, an MX. Along the way I did have a ME, ME Super, Super A film cameras. First DSLR was a Samsung GX-1S and now a K20D. There were brief flirtatious affairs with an Olympus OM-1 and some Casio P&S and a Nikon 5700.

To answer your poll directly I started shooting Pentax in the 17-19 bracket, but fall into the 50-59 group now.
02-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #79
Veteran Member

My first Pentax is/was a Spotmatic that I bought in the late 60's, in a military store. I had intended to buy a Nikon, but preferred the way that the Pentax felt in my hand. At various points along the way, I picked up a few more Pentax film bodies and a bunch of lenses. When I decided to get a DSLR, my initial thought was Pentax because of the lenses, but I had no particular allegiance to the brand. After handling and comparing Canon, Nikon and Pentax cameras, I decided that the Pentax (DS) gave me what I wanted, at the best price. Interestingly enough, the Pentax still felt the best in hand versus Nikon (can't stand the feel of the lesser Canons);being able to use the old lenses was just a plus in the end. Also bought a K10D and have been quite pleased with both cameras.

My instincts (and corporate work experience) lead me to think that Pentax/Hoya can't figure out what they want to be and are probably having endless internal debates. The problem with that, is that the ultimate decision may be too late.

Almost forgot, I'm 66.

02-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
My first Pentax is/was a Spotmatic that I bought in the late 60's, in a military store. I had intended to buy a Nikon, but preferred the way that the Pentax felt in my hand. At various points along the way, I picked up a few more Pentax film bodies and a bunch of lenses. When I decided to get a DSLR, my initial thought was Pentax because of the lenses, but I had no particular allegiance to the brand. After handling and comparing Canon, Nikon and Pentax cameras, I decided that the Pentax (DS) gave me what I wanted, at the best price. Interestingly enough, the Pentax still felt the best in hand versus Nikon (can't stand the feel of the lesser Canons);being able to use the old lenses was just a plus in the end. Also bought a K10D and have been quite pleased with both cameras.

My instincts (and corporate work experience) lead me to think that Pentax/Hoya can't figure out what they want to be and are probably having endless internal debates. The problem with that, is that the ultimate decision may be too late.I'm afraid of that happening too. Pentax / Hoya should continue advertising...I thought the "Pentaxian' campaign was very good...until they decide what they want to do. I thought the Pentaxian campaign was effective...because it focused on Pentax as being an alternative to C and N...it also promoted the Pentax as the advanced amateur and beginner's photographers' tool depending on whether you selected the advanced K10D or less complicated 100D.

Almost forgot, I'm 66.
I'm an oldie but a goldie too. I think Pentax could profit by meeting with a mix of owners...long timers and newbies and those who have had Pentax for a relatively short while...a focus group, if you will.

Ned B. and Pentax/Hoya...my bags are packed (one full of my K10D and gear) and I'm ready for an all expense (just the necessaries) paid trip to a site to provide my wealth of experience as a Pentax consumer. Or set up an electronic conference through computers.
02-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #81
Pentaxian

When I got interested in buying a DSLR, I had no prior equipment at all and was heading firmly for the Nikon D40, partly because of the reputation of the name "Nikon" in professional journalism.

Thankfully, the Dpreview review of the D40 included a comparison with the K100D and I liked the K100D noise better than the flat, smeared D40 result. I looked at a lot of images on the web and personally preferred the colour rendition and exposure of the K100D over the D40.

I also liked shake reduction, the extra LCD panel at the top, bracketing, backwards compatibility to old lenses, but the deciding factor was the colour rendition of the images.

At the time I was interested in buying, I could have got the D40 a lot cheaper than the K100D but I waited till I found an opportunity to get the K100D. And have been more than happy with it ever since.
02-05-2009, 12:31 AM   #82
Veteran Member

I'm in the modal group (ahem!) OK, mid-fifties....

I've told my story before in a few posts, so will just briefly recap: didn't start with a Pentax, but bought a Spotmatic and a few lenses back in the early/mid '70s after shooting aerospace engineering documentation with a couple (plus Rolleis and Graphics). Still have, use, and love the Spottie. Used it exclusively until 2004, when I finally decided digital had come far enough to offer the quality I wanted at a price I could handle.

Didn't buy an *istD because it didn't have the resolution I needed and cost too much. Bought a N***n instead. Shot that for three years and gave it to a friend last year (she's fine with it, a former C***n shooter, y'know...) Bought a K10D and a couple lenses to start with last year. MUCH better! So, when (if?) my employment situation improves enough, I want the DA* tele primes, a wide angle, and a flash or two and I'll be good to go for another 25-30 years!

Last edited by christinelandon; 02-05-2009 at 03:09 AM.
02-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm 15 and had the choice between Nikon and canon's entry level DSLR's.

My neighbor happened to have a Pentax K100d and less than a month later I bought a K200d. I don't know of anyone other than my neighbor and I that actually know anything about Pentax......but I have been teaching my friends a little of the glorious ways of Pentax
02-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wanted to get into photography in my teens, but it didn't end up happening. Starting in college, I came into possession of an Instamatic knock-off with 110 film. In my mid- to late-20s, I bought my first SLR, a camera my housemate and fellow graduate student was selling. It was a K1000 with 50mm f2 lens. From then on I shot Pentax (ME super, Program Plus, Super Program, SF1n, PZ1p). I enjoyed the IQ, the ease of use, the reliability, the backwards lens compatibility, and knowing I was helping a company that wasn't one of the behemoths in the field but that was a historically signficant developer of cameras and technology. I had an Olympus OM4-T and a few Zuiko lenses for awhile, but sold them and remained with Pentax. Now have a K20D and almost all AF lenses.
02-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #85

I start with Ricoh then to Pentax K1000 and auto 110 but i lost it. Sold my Ricoh and buy Oly OM2N. Somebody broke my car and I lost my Oly system. bought Nikon FM and start using Nikon SLR till I have to use digital cam.

I bought Sony PnS but regret it. Thinking of getting Nikon DSLR but thier prices..... Its end up with Pentax K10D and DA* 16-50 because of dust and weather seal for body and lens whereby Nikon price tag very hefty one.
You can get DA* 16-50 and 50-135 with some additional cash compare to Nikon and for the body you need to pay 5 figure for it
02-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #86
Forum Member

I shot Nikon film. When I switched to digital, I chose Pentax because it was clearly the best bargain in the market: Excellent build quality, excellent images, all of the important extra features, and a reasonable price point (not to mention a boatload of excellent lenses available). And, yes, like many other Pentaxians, I don't have much of a herd instinct.
02-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #87
Veteran Member

When I went from my 110 compact to a real camera it was a Pentax ME super. That was back in the mid 80's. I dropped out of the Film SLR thing into the Digital P/S. But when I graduated back to the SLR world I did a bit of research and actually chose Pentax. The K10D was my first DSLR and it was the best bang for the buck. And I had my heart set on a Canon too but the research convinced me to go Pentax. I'm very happy I did and now I'm kinda hooked.
02-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #88

I love garage sales. My first camera as an adult was a Vivitar P&S. Took it with me on a cross country trip that lasted 2 months and shot maybe 12-14 rolls. I had no idea what I was doing but luckily it was idiot proof. My first roll that I loaded was wasted because I immediately hit the rewind button. Shortly after that I bought a leader retriever.

When I got back and developed all the rolls I discovered that I had quite a few keepers and actually sold a shot of a light house south of SF. I was hooked.

A little later I found an old Minolta XG7 at another garage sale. Five bucks. It had a great 50mm lens and a broken light meter. More great shots. Well a few here and there. I took lots of notes to figure out where I was going wrong and sometimes right. So it was pure chance that I backed into Minolta. A friend had 3 or 4 Minolta lens and some other gear but had fallen out of love with photography. She let me borrow everything and that meant I had to have a better camera. So I bought an X700 to go with her gear. She didn't ask for the gear for 4 years. By that time I had replaced most of what she had loaned me. All except for the 24 mm lens. Even though I don't use the Minolta any more I still feel a need to replace that lens.

Anyway, after years of Minolta I bit the bullet and bought my first digital. I got a HP945 and never looked back at film again although I have fond memories. After about 2 years of HP it got dust on the sensor. Three trips to the shop and they couldn't fix it. I managed to get a refurbished Canon sureshot out of the store and sold that right away to a friend.

Lots of research later I made the only decision there was to make and that was to go Pentax and get the K10D. I echo the comments here about Nikon and Canon. Pentax just seemed the best way to go and I have not been sorry. I love my camera but I do covet the K20D. But I won't make that leap for a few years yet. There are still many features to master first.

Now when I take a trip I can expect to shot 1400 or 1500 shots. And that is after I self edit in the camera.

There is a thrill still when someone is impressed with my K10D, especially if they are carrying around an old Nikon. Does yours do THIS???
02-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #89
Veteran Member

I couldn't vote for my 18 year old daughter, who is a committed pentaxian and owner of a white K-x as well as a SP1000. I have a feeling she'll be a pentaxian for a long while, unless of course she goes successful pro and gets tempted by equipment Pentax doesn't make & support Pentax doesn't give.
02-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #90
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I'm in the next to last age group and hope to graduate.

I had a brief fling with a Honeywell Pentax in the early 60's grad school then long hiatus.

Recent history was P&Ss-> superzooms+ attachments -> hand-me-down Canon Digital Rebel to which I added some Takumars -> K100D body to stabilize the Taks....-> K-x

It has been fun..

Dave in Iowa