Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #1

K20D on the way

Hey All,
I'm new around here, so thought I'd put up a post to say hello!

I got a sweet deal from prodigital2000 as well, and my camera is on it's way. Should be here by next Tuesday at the latest!

I'm still sort of shocked I went with Pentax haah. When I first started looking, I only gave Nikon and Canon a serious look, and was on my way to buying a canon. A friend of mine at work owns a K10D, and taught me some stuff about pentax. I liked the idea of the weather sealed body, and the features you get for the price. Another co worker and I both bought K20D's at that point, and well here I am haha.

I figure it will be a good camera to start, and they cost significantly less then the Canon/Nikon's all around. I understand the limitations, but if one of those becomes a problem, I'll deal with switching at that point.

I picked up the 50mm 1.4 with a B+W UV filter, so now I'm just waiting on the camera! My dad has an old KX from the 70's and 2 lenses. He has an 18-55 and the 135mm F3.5 (Pentax Lens Review Database - 135mm F3.5).

I have a few questions though. I thought I read something about having to turn something on to use the older lenses properly? Also, I bought a sandisk Ultra 2 (15mb/s). Is that card good enough for this camera?

It's good to see the pentax numbers going up! I've noticed on these boards in my short time, new people buying cameras, and places like prodigital having a hard time keeping stock.

Anyways, sorry for the long post, thought I would say hi .

01-29-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to our world! I recently got my K20D just over a month ago, so I'm still learning - but this place is a really really good place to get all the information you need :_

With the older lenses, yea, you have to go into the custom settings and turn on manual aperture use or whatever its called... otherwise your camera sits there doing nothing...

and the Ultra 2 is ok.... i havent done proper testing between my Ultra 2 and Extreme III's but i think the Extreme's are better when taking multiple shots quick shots...
01-29-2009, 10:24 PM   #3

Original Poster
Awesome, I'll make sure to turn on that setting then! Can't wait until it's finally here!
01-29-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
IronWolf: I figure it will be a good camera to start, and they cost significantly less then the Canon/Nikon's all around. I understand the limitations, but if one of those becomes a problem, I'll deal with switching at that point.

Welcome to Pentax and to the best forum on the Web. I have had my K20 for 10 motnhs now and it just gets better all the time. What "limitations" are you referring to?

01-29-2009, 11:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IronWolf Quote
Awesome, I'll make sure to turn on that setting then! Can't wait until it's finally here!
To shoot with lenses that have manual aperture, use Manual mode. You set the aperture by turning the aperture ring on the lens. You can manually set the shutter speed or let the camera do it automatically by pressing the green button near the shutter button--at least that's one way of doing it on the k200d.

EDIT: Also, regardless of the lens, I'd recommend setting AF point to center and white balance to center weighted from the start, if they're on some automatic modes out of the box.
01-30-2009, 08:10 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Welcome to Pentax and to the best forum on the Web. I have had my K20 for 10 motnhs now and it just gets better all the time. What "limitations" are you referring to?
Just around AF speeds and FPS. I don't think it will be an issue for me in all honesty. If I ever get major into it and shoot sports or something sort of thing, but I don't see that happening.

Thanks for the info on the settings asdf.