Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2009, 05:14 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Just an addendum for Heliphoto: I had a rig made that can be clamped in my Cessna and have the camera triggered with an extended cord remote. I use the wing to aim and I squeeze the remote at the proper time. You have to have a soft rubber block installed between the camera support and the camera itself to insulate against vibrations, but I get decent result out of it. Just don't try try to use it with an off balanced prop (it is easy to get an off balanced prop on a Cessna 210, since ground clearance is 6 in. with the motor off, which makes it less with motor on and sucking all the dirt through the fan).

02-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well, according to the post office my new toy is coming in tomorrow! Wooooo!

Pat
02-04-2009, 09:06 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
wtlwdwgn ... I was thinking of ordering the grip with it, but I almost never do portrait orientation shots so I am not too sure what use I'd have for the grip.

Pat
It makes the camera much nicer feeling, and I can hold steadier with the grip on the K10D - should be the same on yours. I was in a resort last summer, and a lady saw the grip on the K10D and she had a K10D. We put her lens on my combo; she picked it up; she said she was ordering one as soon as she got home. See if you can find someone with a k10 or k20 with the grip. the feel is so much better.
02-04-2009, 09:13 PM   #19
Site Supporter

i was skeptical over the necessity for a grip in terms of just holding it in normal landscape mode - but i bought one anyway.... it feels nicer and steadier since my wrist rests near the bottom of the grip and so my wrist isnt completely pushed back as it would be if i rested my wrist on a gripless k20d...

hopefully that makes sense.. anyway, its easier for me that way... unfortunately my current bag cant fit a k20d with a grip on it.... so i have to keep taking it off and putting it back on

02-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I'll definetly investigate the grip, I'll probably go to the store and try it on.

Pat
02-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Aaaaaack! Now I'm really hurtin!

I got this nice brand new K20d in my hands and I have to wait for the battery to charge before I can play with it!!!!

Pat
02-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Aaaaaack! Now I'm really hurtin!

I got this nice brand new K20d in my hands and I have to wait for the battery to charge before I can play with it!!!!

Pat
Should I say it k200d owners?, should I? OK OK, I will, if you owned a k200d, you could have shot pictures right away, no "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" waiting for THAT damn battery to charge, OK, got that off my chest, Gawd I'm evil

Barry
02-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You are indeed evil!

But then again I also got a K100 and a K110 lying around here... funny enough after a long with no battery problems my K100 just started getting finniky with it's rechargeables, shutting down when they still have plenty of power (checked with a meter).

Well, I'm still staring at that charger...

Pat

02-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #24
Inactive Account

You are indeed evil!

But then again I also got a K100 and a K110 lying around here... funny enough after a long with no battery problems my K100 just started getting finniky with it's rechargeables, shutting down when they still have plenty of power (checked with a meter).

Well, I'm still staring at that charger...

Pat
Glad you took my humor in stride, right now I'm looking a k200d body up for auction on Ebay, it's so far at $150.00 with a little less than 3 days til it ends. Checking the waters to see what mine will bring, might make a step up to the K20 although I have so many Eneloops and other rechargable AAs, I might have to pass.
02-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on your purchase !! Speaking of sick time..where I work you can build up as much sick time as you want....no limit, and after you have thirty days built up, you can cash in the excess ( anything over 30 days ) last year before Xmas, I cashed in 10 days, this year I cashed in 5, it REALLY comes in handy that time of year....
02-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, got my new toy last night

I haven't had much time to play with it yet as I am at work...

The few pics I took in the stations garage are encouraging though... already a lot sharper than my K100d, and the viewfinder is unbelievably brighter!

The only sad note is that it crashed on me once (had to pull out the battery to reset it). I read somewhere that may be related to the SDHC card in it (I have a cheap class 4 8gig card in it, I'll buy a good quality class 6 monday).

Pat
02-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Congrats Pat here's hoping days off are nice so you can field test !
02-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I hope you enjoy your new toy as much as I do. Have fun!
02-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dave & Yves, thanks!

It was raining + I was a bit busy at work, so I only took a few shots in the garage this afternoon.

All are handheld at ISO 800 under fluorescent lighting (white point ajusted with a grey card)

This is the hose shelves at the back of the station

The back of the garage with our station crest painted on the wall

This is a "loaner" engine on loan from Fleet Maintenance, my stations engine (Engine 58) is getting fixed. Almost all loaners are old beaters that have seen better days.

Yes, my bunker gear locker with spare boots on top, spare bunker in it and street clothes.

Trying for an "artistic" shot of hose couplings but not enough light to get anything decent.

I can't wait for my next day off!!! (not until thursday!)

Pat
02-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #30
Site Supporter

Great shots Pat - would never guess that is ISO 800 - I see a few more clicks in your future.