Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

K200D Noise Reduction

Hello all,

I own a K200D and and becoming more critical of the technical details in my photos. I wanted some feedback on the noise reduction for K200D with High ISO. I have just left it set on Weakest, but does weak, or off give better result?

Any links?

thanks for all replys!!

~T

01-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shiestmiester Quote
I own a K200D and and becoming more critical of the technical details in my photos.
In which case, you are better off shooting RAW and doing your NR in PP - you'll have far greater control. Plus you'll gain the other benefits of shooting RAW in terms of what you can do with exposure, color, sharpening, etc. And with the right software, working with RAW is as easy as or easier than JPEG.

QuoteQuote:
I wanted some feedback on the noise reduction for K200D with High ISO. I have just left it set on Weakest, but does weak, or off give better result?
If one was objectively the best for all situations, they wouldn't give you options :-)

The more NR you apply, the more detail you lose - that's the nature of the beast. I prefer no NR at all for many shots, but for the ones in which noise is for whatever reason objectionable to me, I'll apply a small amount in PP. Usually an amount more or less equivalent to what Pentax does at the weakest setting in its JPEG processing. Some images - like ones I deliberately shot underexosed at ISO 1600 and then pushed a stop or more in PP to simulate ISO 3200 or higher - I'll apply a bit more, but I do so using the sliders in my PP program (ACDSee Pro) which allow me to do so with far more finesse than simply choosing the Weak or Strong options in the Pentax JPEG settings. And while in very rare cases I might apply as much as Pentax does in their Strong NR, I'd hate to have anywhere near that much smudging going on in the pictures that don't need it. Which is why I much prefer doing it in PP.

QuoteQuote:
Any links?
The sample pictures included in most reviews of the cameras show the effects pretty clearly on their own test subjects, but who knows what other JPEG settings they were using (eg, bright/natural, sharpness, saturation), and that can affect the results. And the results can vary according to the kind of shot used in the test. Since you have the camera already, you're far better off making the comparison yourself using the other JPEG settings you prefer, using a variety of types of scenes and exposure. For example, some with lots of dynamic range and deep shadows, some that are flatter; some that are underexposed, some "correctly" exposed, some "exposed to the right", some overexposed; some under tungsten light, some under fluorescent; some at ISO 800, some at 1100, some at 1600, etc. If by some miracle you find that one setting produces exactly the results you prefer in every single case, great - but more likely, it will be a question of compromise.
02-01-2009, 07:06 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well I'm apparently the fool here. I did not realize that the moise reduction was only applied to JPEG files. I have been shooting RAW pretty much since I purchased the camera. As for my options in PP, I own and use Adobe LIghtroom. I am still learning lots of it's tools and haven't really gotten to the noise reduction feature yet. I'm assuming the results from Lightroom or ACDSee Pro are similar, the menus probably just vary a little.

Perhaps I should post up about noise reduction in LIghtroom.

Thanks for the help

~T
02-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shiestmiester Quote
Well I'm apparently the fool here. I did not realize that the moise reduction was only applied to JPEG files.
I should say I'm like 90% sure that's true. Feel free to test and post if you discover otherwise. I haven't really played with it much, because whether or not the camera can do some NR, I'd still rather handle it myself. If I thought all images needed some, I might change my mind, but really, even my ISO 1600 images rarely get any unless I've underexposed them.

Note it's possible LR would notice the NR setting you used (it's stored in the EXIF) and set its own defaults for the file accordingly.

QuoteQuote:
I'm assuming the results from Lightroom or ACDSee Pro are similar, the menus probably just vary a little.
I'm guessing LR has more sophisticated controls in this area - NR is not ACDSee's strongest feature. It works well enough for me because I prefer a light touch, but if I'm trying to rescue a two or three stop underexposure at ISO 1600, I do push the controls a lot harder, and sometimes look at third party programs like Neat Image, which can do pretty amazing things.