Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #1

SDM lens & Pentax body compatibility

Background:
I have a *istDS that I have enjoyed for several years. I am looking to pick up another camera body and keep the DS as backup. I tend to keep my cameras for a long time [I bought a ME & MX in the mid '80s and that was it until the DS came along. I hope the digital cameras last a longtime too]. I want to keep my lens options as open as possible so that will affect my choice of a new camera. In a perfect world, I would be able to get a modern DS [AF, SR, Liveview, AA batteries, penta-mirror, 3" LCD, same size as DS. I know this last might be very tough but the DS is the size I prefer and the closer to that size, the better I will like a new camera body]

Question:
I would like to see a chart or table that describes how each of the Pentax bodies deal with the lens with SDM. Does anyone have a link to such information?
[I tried searches but got either no data or way too much... search engines don't like 3 letter words]

At a high level, I know some bodies offer only screw-driven focusing [e.g., my DS], other offer both screw-drive & SDM [K20]. I don't think any offer only SDM. From reading, the Pentax marketing literature, it is hard to tell which of the new lens with SDM can be used which body and still have AF. They barely tell you that you get MF only on older bodies [which I am OK with if I can avoid a mis-match]. Since I may want to buy a used body to save a little money, it would be nice to know more about how each body works with SDM [or doesn't work]

01-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All current Pentax DSLRs support screw drive.
However SDM capability was only made available after the K100D.
That means the K100D Super, K10D, K200D, K20D, K-m (aka K2000) all support SDM.

For the K10D, SDM support requires the camera's Firmware to be updated to Version 1.30.
01-30-2009, 08:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks!
That is nice and concise.
02-08-2009, 07:29 AM   #4

Ask and you shall receive.

Below are two links for Pentax compatibility. Personally, I went from a K1000 film camera to a K200D - all lenses work fine.

Pentax Lens/Camera Compatibility - Mark Roberts Photography

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Hope this helps!

02-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #5

Agree with creampuff. Firmware 1.3o than you can start fell the SDM
02-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bencason Quote
Background:
I have a *istDS that I have enjoyed for several years. I am looking to pick up another camera body and keep the DS as backup. I tend to keep my cameras for a long time [I bought a ME & MX in the mid '80s and that was it until the DS came along. I hope the digital cameras last a longtime too]. I want to keep my lens options as open as possible so that will affect my choice of a new camera. In a perfect world, I would be able to get a modern DS [AF, SR, Liveview, AA batteries, penta-mirror, 3" LCD, same size as DS. I know this last might be very tough but the DS is the size I prefer and the closer to that size, the better I will like a new camera body]

Question:
I would like to see a chart or table that describes how each of the Pentax bodies deal with the lens with SDM. Does anyone have a link to such information?
[I tried searches but got either no data or way too much... search engines don't like 3 letter words]

At a high level, I know some bodies offer only screw-driven focusing [e.g., my DS], other offer both screw-drive & SDM [K20]. I don't think any offer only SDM. From reading, the Pentax marketing literature, it is hard to tell which of the new lens with SDM can be used which body and still have AF. They barely tell you that you get MF only on older bodies [which I am OK with if I can avoid a mis-match]. Since I may want to buy a used body to save a little money, it would be nice to know more about how each body works with SDM [or doesn't work]
Any lens with a screw drive, with or without SDM, will work fine on both cameras. Lenses with SDM only will not AF with screw drive only bodies. That said, and not having any such lenses, I wonder what happens when an SDM only lens is mounted on screw drive only bodies. Does the camera automatically assume it is a Manual Focus Lens, or does the user have to set the camera to MF to make things work properly?
02-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks again!

Lots of good stuff in both these links.

I don't have to worry about a lack information anymore