Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2007, 09:23 PM   #1

M mode not playing nice..

Hi guys, first time poster here..

I've got what i think is a problem with my M mode dial setting on my K10D. I don't think it's supposed to work this way

Here's what's happens:

I turn the dial to M, then i use the front wheel to change my shutter speed to 180 and i use the rear wheel to change my aperture to 2.0. Ok, everythings fine..i take the shot. As soon as the picture is taken my shutter speed, on it's own, changes to something else, like 250 and my aperture changes to 2.4 or something. Don't know why it changes on it's own while in M mode. I thought manual mode was so i could decide what aperture and shutter speed i wanted to keep it at.

Now if i take multiple shots the camera will keep changing to random aperature and shutter speed values...it could go from a f2.0 to and f4, then next shot to an f5.6 and then maybe back to f1.4. The shutter speed is just as random.

I experimented pointing the camera at the computer screen and focusing on the same word on the screen. Initially set my aperture to 2.8 and my shutter speed to 125. Here's what happend:
-After first shot aperture changed to 2.0 and shutter to 60
-After second shot changed to 3.5 and 180
-next shot 1.7 and 45
-next shot 2.4 and 90

I reset the camera's custom menu to the factory default settings and still am getting the same type of results

Does it seem like i have a bad K10D or am i doing something wrong? Every other dial mode seems to do what its supposed to do, according to what my understanding is.

Firmware is 1.11, the latest

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
-Alan

03-25-2007, 10:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Alan_A,

Just wondering what lens you are using?
03-25-2007, 10:33 PM   #3

Hey Alan,

I had the same thing happen to me, and I *thought* it was a problem... but it's not. So there's nothing to worry about. The camera is set on the default settings, which allows for AUTO EV (Exposure Values), meaning the camera can override your chosen shutter speed, aperture, etc... to compensate for "better" exposure. All you have to do is go into your Custom Settings and turn it off, I believe it's the ninth choice down.
03-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hanamai you rock!

Thank you! Problem solved.

-Alan

QuoteOriginally posted by hanamai Quote
Hey Alan,

I had the same thing happen to me, and I *thought* it was a problem... but it's not. So there's nothing to worry about. The camera is set on the default settings, which allows for AUTO EV (Exposure Values), meaning the camera can override your chosen shutter speed, aperture, etc... to compensate for "better" exposure. All you have to do is go into your Custom Settings and turn it off, I believe it's the ninth choice down.

03-26-2007, 01:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm glad your problem is solved. I use Manual or Bulb most of the time, but with our manual lenses there's no way that the camera can over-ride me.
03-27-2007, 11:14 AM   #6

Glad you got it sorted out!

QuoteOriginally posted by Alan_A Quote
Hanamai you rock!
Thank you! Problem solved.
-Alan
03-31-2007, 08:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Wow!

QuoteOriginally posted by hanamai Quote
The camera is set on the default settings, which allows for AUTO EV (Exposure Values), meaning the camera can override your chosen shutter speed, aperture, etc... to compensate for "better" exposure.
I am surprised: so the default K10D behavior allows camera to automatically adjust setting in manual mode? Do I understand that well? What would be the benefit of that feature? Any K10D user that find that "feature" useful and in what situations? (Since I can not think of any.)