Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2009, 06:09 AM   #31

Original Poster
Good morning,

Where to start? Another huge thank you! I appreciate the battery comments and recomendations and the voices of support regarding the camera and reviews in general. Stefan, I really enjoyed looking at your work. RiceHigh, per a recommendation on the first page of this thread, I was able to Google your blog and read your comments. Very solidifying for the choice of camera I had made in the first place. Now to wait to see when in February, it actually ships. My credit card has already been "tested" for the dollar amount, maybe it won't be that much longer.

Jet - good insight and thinking about what I do or do not do for my wrist. It's just my right wrist, which is naturally my dominant hand. For 12 years I've been doing accounts payable and use a traditional real adding machine and the numeric key pad on my keyboard at work a good deal of the day. I was so sure it was carpal tunnel, which there is an easy fix for. Wrong, I simply have arthritis which flares up and ebbs back. I have an excellent wrist brace for long shoots and I've taught myself to support the camera and lens better with my left hand.

I used an Olympus E-510 for about seven months. I didn't dislike it, I simply was not crazy about it and it weighed a ton also. My regret kept being that I ever sold the K100d. When I first started hearing about the K2000, it began to niggle at me that *this* might be the one. I like the Panasonic FZ28 I have now, but so does my husband. He's way over due to upgrade a little, but only wants to learn as far as "auto". He has a nice eye for composition, just doesn't want to fool with "settings". I'm very anxious now for the K2000 to get here. I get asked occasionally asked to do things I think are above my skill set (two rather informal weddings last year), and I know in my head I'll never pull it off with a super zoom. I have a DSRL mind set with some physical limitations.

OK, what's my penality for using way too many words in one reply

Debbie

02-02-2009, 06:40 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Izzy Quote
Hi,

Long time no post. A few years ago I had a Pentax K100D. Loved the camera, but my right wrist couldn't handle the weight. Went back to Panasonic super zooms. Then I saw this camera! Really thought it had some nice features and cool little toys to play with, such as the filters. So, I pre-ordered it. Now the weekend is filled with with the review horror story. Knowing that things like reviews need to be taken for what they are, an opinion, I wonder if I should back out of my order.

Yes, I am a female. I'm in my early 50's, but I'm certainly not a novice to DSLR photograpy. Custom menu settings are not beyond my skill set. I would rather not shoot RAW and post process every image though. The light weight does matter as does in-body image stabilization. However, if this truly is some sort of crippled camera with lower quality lenses than competitors in the same size bracket, then I need to make a decision in a hurry about cancelling my order.

Talk me into it Talk me out of it I just don't want to buy in haste and repent in leisure. Heaven forbid our only local store actually carry anything but Nikon and Canon in mass.

Debbie
PS: Fire at will!! I pre-ordered the WHITE version. I love things with a retro look. There is no excuse for me
Debbie, I don't know, what horror reviews you have read. I bought a K-m (aka K2000) for Christmas for my partner. She has a good photographic eye and used to use a Canon AE1-program in film days, but has been using Nikon P+S cameras in the digital age. Now I concluded, that the K-m is small enough as a everyday camera for her - and that is true. I guess she loves the little camera.

For the lenses: you can use any Pentax lens on the camera, nothing inferior here. The kit lens, that comes as standard is optically exactly the same, as the highly praised kit lens for the K20! Only difference: it is the lightweight modell and ddoes have a plastic bayonett instead of stainles steel. But that is certainly not of too much concern.

The images I have seen so far are exactly what I would expect from a 10 MP camera, very nice indeed! At the price tag I cannot see, why there would be something crippled or of lower quality at all, than in competing modells.

Ben
02-02-2009, 06:52 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Izzy Quote
Thank you all so much for sharing your thoughts with me. Nice variety of responses from love it to under-whelmed and all things in between. No I'm not hooked on white. Interesting read on the Rich High opinion on reviews. I'm going to continue to ponder it. I can't express enough how greatful I am to all of you.

Debbie
it's good that you have gotten past your depression about the review. Please don't go back and get depressed by reading RH reviews and comments, they can be critical to the point of damaging any value in the technical content.
02-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Re: batteries - short version -
get eneloops
or any confirmed re-badged eneloops - like
Duracell Pre-Charged - but must be made in Japan with white top surrounding the +ve button
Sony Cycle-Energy (blue) again must be made in Japan.

Long version -
there was a pretty thorough thread -

K200D Battery Meter Problem

I know it's the K200D - but Pentax dSLRs share a lot of common traits especially for AA batteries -
to be specific about the use of CR-V3 - I don't think the K2000 can - probably for the same reason it is not possible for the K200D -

Please see -
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Pentax Forbade Use of CR-V3 Batteries in the K200D

It links to Post #4 that shows a photo why CR-V3 cannot fit at all in the K200D battery compartment.

From the K2000 manual -

notice the absence of CR-V3 as a battery type -
whereas the K100D - lists the CR-V3

02-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote

43 mm

As soon as mine shows up that is the first configuration I'm going to try (though I have the metal lens hood on as well). I'm hoping this will be the perfect hi-rez street cam.
02-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I provide also the URL of my somehow longish "rant" here and hope you will feel better after reading it! :-)

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Problematic DPR "Reviews" (Esp. Recent Ones)

Actually, I don't think my above longish article is a rant, its more or less my wholehearted words with "calm" analyses, although I was really angered at first.. :-)

Bottom line: Since I found the K-m is more accurate and faster so far (yet to be verified more to see if it really fully meets my requirements, though), if the in-camera jpeg is crappy (to a certain extent it is, but so do many other DSLRs), shoot RAW and convert them all in a batch - big deal!
Didn't you write this?
Just read the conclusion by Phil Askey and it is clear and self-explanatory for the (obvious) problem / shortcoming found. Indeed, the Rating on Image Quality is marked to be *Very Low*.

Actually, I had found something very close to what Phil has just told more than one month ago, when the production K10D was out and people started to post the production sample pics. After I had inspected quite some of those production sample pics at different websites, I had made some short remarks about my disappointment on the image quality of the K10D, at the Steve's Pentax/Samsung DSLR Forum and here is the thread:-

Again and furthermore, Phil Askey have exactly the same view in his review, as mine, that K100D has a (much) better image engine of which this fact I have being reported from time to time over months, since the K10D beta sample photos were out!

Now, can we regard this: P-R-I-M-E = Phil Rated Inferior iMage Engine?;->

Re: 5D anyone?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Dpreview puts Low Rating on the Image Quality of K10D

Didn't you CONSTANTLY use dpreview to back up your own claims??? NOW you decide they are all wrong and a bunch of hacks because now they disagree w/ you????
What more do I need to say.
02-08-2009, 12:15 AM   #37

I've had the km for several months and am happy enough with it. I use it with a Tammy 2.8 28-75 as a walk around. The DP review certainly got a lot of attention. I size down and post process so the texture versus edges JPG debate meant little to me. I assume this would only be noticed with a huge print. My only minor foible is slow focus in low contrast and I wish Katz Eye made something for it. I could care less about the selectable AF points and did not use it on the K200D. I focus/recompose. I don't care about the orientation sensor but I do hope for live view in the next iteration. It's a nice camera. It doesn't leap ahead of the competition but it isn't far behind either.

Last edited by nuqemie; 02-08-2009 at 12:21 AM.
02-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nuqemie Quote
I've had the km for several months and am happy enough with it. I use it with a Tammy 2.8 28-75 as a walk around.
Wow, the combination of the relatively small body and relatively large lens looks surprisingly freakish. Every once in a while I entertain the notion of getting that lens for my K200D, but I'd have a hard time adjusting from the DA40 to that...

02-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Wow, the combination of the relatively small body and relatively large lens looks surprisingly freakish. Every once in a while I entertain the notion of getting that lens for my K200D, but I'd have a hard time adjusting from the DA40 to that...
Ha. The Tamron does look a bit like an oil tanker attached to the k-m but is not as ungainly as it appears. It is not a discrete combo and attracts questions when out shooting. The Tammy is a compromise but I do like it better than the kit lens.
02-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #40

The majority of reviews say the k2000 is a excellent camera and the kit lens is sharper than the canon kit lens.I have only read 1 poor review and that was by dp preview.
02-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Are people here concerned about the review at dpreview.com? I read it just now. It seems pretty typical for dpreview and frankly sounds pretty fair. Does the reviewer actually make any mistakes? The conclusion page (click here) states pretty clearly that the reviewer had some difficulty making up his mind how to rate the camera finally. He lists many more strengths than weaknesses.

The key thing is simply to understand that camera reviews aren't simple engineering tests, that is, you aren't under any obligation to accept the reviewer's conclusions. Reviewers usually know the competition as well as the product under review. And for an entry level camera like this one, the reviewer is probably going to assume that this is a first purchase and that the buyer is free to buy any brand of camera. Seems fair to me.

But most of these problems have solutions - and easy ones. Don't shoot jpeg. You should not shoot jpeg anyway. Set the camera to use center-point focus all the time and get used to that: focus, then recompose when necessary.

In other words, FORGET WHAT THE REVIEWER SAID. Learn your camera. If you can take good photos with it, then who gives a flip what some reviewer said about it?

Will
02-16-2009, 05:17 AM   #42

Original Poster
I like it!

You were all very supportive when I let that review rattle me. I have had the camera for a week and I'm well pleased with it. It meets my goals for a light weight package and I've fiddled around with the settings and gotten to know it. I posted some first shot photos here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/51229-first-shots-k2000.html#post490781 You all are great. I am so glad I went this route. I needed small and light and got it....then stuck a fairly heavy lens on it <grin>. I think this will be just the ticket.

Debbie
02-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
As soon as mine shows up that is the first configuration I'm going to try (though I have the metal lens hood on as well).
As you should! Protects the lens and prevents glare. Get that lens hood on, folks!
02-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I realise I'm way too late to this party, but have finally finished my article Your First DSLR: The Pentax K-m. I link to many reviews and rebut the terribly biased dpreview stance. It's a shame that review has put off people and created uncertainty in such a negative manner.

My take: Buy the K-m but not with the kit lenses. Or, if size is not your main consideration, pay a bit more and get the K20D, a distinctly great value.
02-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #45
Thumper473

Debbie,
Those shots look great! Looks like you are going to have a lot of fun with your new camera.