Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #46

I just bought a K2000/KM and wanted to know how the in-camera jpeg characteristics can be overridden. What works for you?

07-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #47
Inactive Account

Welcome and congratulations.

By default, the K-m is set to "bright." You may want to change it. Shoot a few pictures with different settings until you find something that you like. You can also customize each setting (adjusting sharpness, brightness, etc). I don't shoot jpeg, so those settings don't matter (I shoot in RAW). If I do shoot jpeg, I use "natural" settings in the camera.
07-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #48

Photos: Gallery
Just got a K2000 a week ago...

To overcome jpeg softness, I put +2 in sharpness or fine sharpness.

With high ISO I put it back to 0 in order to avoid too much noise.

Or in case I'm shooting what I think should be a keeper I shoot RAW
07-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #49
Veteran Member

I have a K2000, I just received it this week. I am pleased with this camera, I haven't shot in JPEG yet but I am pretty sure there are some settings to make this camera better. I don't know it yet. I just went to the Mall today, then outside at night in the parking ramp at hotels and banks. I am going to post some shots soon. I am pleased with the picture quality but not too pleased as I don't know how to shoot them correctly yet. But it still looks ok to me. I love this camera and I will eventually learn how to shoot near-perfect pictures some day as I am on my journey to perfecting this camera. It is my first DSLR after all.

07-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #50
Forum Member

My 2 cents:

I bought K2000 double kit (18-55+50-200) 6 month ago. 2 month Later I've realized,
I need one fast prime or tele for nights/evenings portraits/street shots, so I've purchased SMC FA50/1.4

Here my proc and cons:

Proc:
1. Light, small - very comfortable for long walking trips.
2. AA - batteries: (too many people don't like AA's, but I like it! I have Sony rechargeable 2700 and Energizer 2450 - never had a problem!!!)
3. Easy to use/operate

Cons:

1. Visible ISO noise starting from ISO340 and up (Personally I don't think ISO1600-3200 is usable at all - I've tried already almost all available RAW converters and results are not pleasing my eyes at all)
2. Sometimes when I am trying to shoot moving animal or bird 3.5FPS is not enough!!!
3. Auto 5-point focusing system is limited and unpredictable! Very often, in order to get predictable auto focus and save time, I have to use central point only! Sometimes it becomes very annoying!!! But I can live with that.

Honestly, I like my K2000/K-m as my first DSLR camera, but my next camera will be much more advanced and probably I'll not get Pentax. Even K-7 has high ISO noise problem!

Last edited by grishazzz; 07-09-2009 at 03:37 PM.
07-10-2009, 04:20 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grishazzz Quote
My 2 cents:

I bought K2000 double kit (18-55+50-200) 6 month ago. 2 month Later I've realized,
I need one fast prime or tele for nights/evenings portraits/street shots, so I've purchased SMC FA50/1.4

Here my proc and cons:

Proc:
2. AA - batteries: (too many people don't like AA's, but I like it! I have Sony rechargeable 2700 and Energizer 2450 - never had a problem!!!)
3. Easy to use/operate

Cons:

1. Visible ISO noise starting from ISO340 and up (Personally I don't think ISO1600-3200 is usable at all - I've tried already almost all available RAW converters and results are not pleasing my eyes at all)
2. Sometimes when I am trying to shoot moving animal or bird 3.5FPS is not enough!!!
3. Auto 5-point focusing system is limited and unpredictable! Very often, in order to get predictable auto focus and save time, I have to use central point only! Sometimes it becomes very annoying!!! But I can live with that.
I would second most of your observations, except, that I find high ISO noise for such an entry-level camera quite acceptable, as it is hardly noticeable in the usual standard print sizes. For large format prints, other cameras may be better - and more expensive.

I find the AF system very capable. Its the first Pentax DSLR, where I can actually use the automatic AF-system, as I use the K10 and K20 exclusively with center-point AF. Unpredictability is a common problem with all AF systems in all cameras, under certain conditions. The AF system cannot anticipate, which part of a scene you want to focus on, if you leave the usual paths of portraits and group shots...

Honestly, I like my K2000/K-m as my first DSLR camera, but my next camera will be much more advanced and probably I'll not get Pentax. Even K-7 has high ISO noise problem!
It is way too early to say anything valid about the K-7's noise at high ISO. I have seen quite good samples. Also, freshly released there will be improvements both in formware and in the RAW-converters to address the K-7 specific noise level and pattern. Nevertheless, feel free to switch systems, if another make suites your needs better.

Ben
07-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #52
Inactive Account

My 2 cents:

Here my proc and cons:

Proc:
3. Easy to use/operate

Cons:

Haha, that's my story, too. Well except for the noise part, I don't notice it much. Right now I am at the "bought SMC FA50/1.4 " stage.

07-11-2009, 02:54 AM   #53
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
I would second most of your observations, except, that I find high ISO noise for such an entry-level camera quite acceptable, as it is hardly noticeable in the usual standard print sizes. For large format prints, other cameras may be better - and more expensive.
I do agree with you, but still even at ISO500 the noise level is visible. I've uploaded some test pictures, so you can check it out:

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

no PP, straight from camera!

Even entry-level canon xs/1000d performs way better at high iso!

QuoteQuote:
I find the AF system very capable. Its the first Pentax DSLR, where I can actually use the automatic AF-system, as I use the K10 and K20 exclusively with center-point AF. Unpredictability is a common problem with all AF systems in all cameras, under certain conditions. The AF system cannot anticipate, which part of a scene you want to focus on, if you leave the usual paths of portraits and group shots...
Ok, here there is only one big difference: you can not choose AF point manually! Now if you are using slow kit lens or slow 50-200 the AF 5 Auto points are ok, but with fast prime 50/1.4 it becomes a real problem! Many reviewers reported same thing! Unpredictable focus occurs only when fast lens is attached, so in order to get sharp shot, I have to use central point only! Now, in case I want to focus somewhere else, like for example: focus in the upper right corner, I have to lock focus and move my camera. Sometimes it takes too long, and I am missing/loosing the right moment.

QuoteQuote:
It is way too early to say anything valid about the K-7's noise at high ISO. I have seen quite good samples. Also, freshly released there will be improvements both in formware and in the RAW-converters to address the K-7 specific noise level and pattern. Nevertheless, feel free to switch systems, if another make suites your needs better.
K-7 has cropped sensor, like k-m/k20/k200, I do not expect too much! Same sensor size with more mega pixels - the result will be always the same: NOISE!
K-7 has much more advanced proccessor, so maybe! (maybe) it will control noise more effectively! Well.. we'll see! Still reading reviews and looking at the test shoots.
07-11-2009, 06:37 AM   #54
Veteran Member

It's true that the K2000 has more image noise than most... however, it also tends to render more detail, and you can use programs like Neat Image, Noiseware, etc.

DPReview notes that although K2000 high-ISO images may have more noise than the competition - which DPReview does nto find objectionable - the K2000 also appears to capture more detail.

As far as not being able to manually select focus points (other than center), this was simply the way the camera was designed, and is noted in every K2000/K-m review I've seen. If it's something that is difficult to live with, why would you buy the camera?

Looking at the samples grishazzz posted, the amount of noise seems entirely appropriate.
07-12-2009, 06:10 AM   #55
Forum Member

flippedgazelle:

Well, k2000 is my first DSLR, so I did not really worried about focusing point issues with kit lens.The real problem occurs when I am using fast prime like FA50/1.4 only!!! For example: if I am choosing 5 auto-points, camera will never! never!!! focus where I want! It will try focusing here, there, go back, go forward etc... in the end, like i said, it takes time to focus properly!
Now, if I'll select central focusing point only - everything seems to work fine! Focus is fast and reliable!
DPReview - clearly described this issue, but I've never thought I am gonna get fast prime! So I am not blaming my camera, I am blaming myself! This camera is very good as an entry level dslr with kit lenses, but with fast prime or tele this camera is not good at all!
Not to mention ISO noise, which is driving me crazy :-)
Anyway, I like K-m as my first DSLR.
07-12-2009, 07:19 AM   #56
Veteran Member

flippedgazelle:

Well, k2000 is my first DSLR, so I did not really worried about focusing point issues with kit lens.The real problem occurs when I am using fast prime like FA50/1.4 only!!! For example: if I am choosing 5 auto-points, camera will never! never!!! focus where I want! It will try focusing here, there, go back, go forward etc... in the end, like i said, it takes time to focus properly!
Now, if I'll select central focusing point only - everything seems to work fine! Focus is fast and reliable!
DPReview - clearly described this issue, but I've never thought I am gonna get fast prime! So I am not blaming my camera, I am blaming myself! This camera is very good as an entry level dslr with kit lenses, but with fast prime or tele this camera is not good at all!
Not to mention ISO noise, which is driving me crazy :-)
Anyway, I like K-m as my first DSLR.
Yeah, if you are using a large aperture, the "focus and recompose" method doesn't work so well. I wish I had some advice to offer, but my only fast prime is MF, so that's what I do!

As far as noise, I still don't see what the problem is... I agree that Canon strikes a nice noise/detail balance with the XS (at least from what I've seen on DPReview), but if you look at another K2000 competitor, the Nikon D60, that camera smears away so much detail in the quest for low noise that the image is sometimes ruined, IMO.

Here's the highest ISO shot with my K2000 that I currently have available - ISO 1250. There are issues with the photo, but IMO noise isn't one of them.

Last edited by flippedgazelle; 07-12-2009 at 07:27 AM.
07-12-2009, 07:43 AM   #57
Inactive Account

What works for me for stationary objects is removing the AF function from the shutter button and assigning it to the AF button. Then just focus and recompose.

With moving objects and the FA50/1.4 it is a bit tricky to get correct focus. The area that is in focus is too small and the continuous AF is not fast enough. Again, it seems the best results require prefocusing and waiting for the right moment to come.
07-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #58
Forum Member

Large Images!

My ISO test:

SMC FA50/1.4 + Sv-mode + NR-On + SR-OFF + 6mp jpeg straight from camera, no PP!!!
I think ISO800 is quiet usable, but it depends on a lighting conditions! ISO1000 is so so.
http://rapidshare.com/files/255108564/NR_ON.exe

Last edited by grishazzz; 07-12-2009 at 02:33 PM.
07-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #59
Veteran Member

I agreed that the noise is really high on anything above 800, I try turning off shadow compensation and putting noise reduction to strong but it seems to still be high.

I also have a question, what does Matrix metering mean? I see that under Metering some people have set it to Matrix on some pictures. What settings do I set my K-M/K2000 to to get it to matrix?
07-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Matrix metering (called multi-segment) means the camera evaluates the entire frame for exposure, and is the default setting. The different metering methods are explained in the manual.

If you want to reduce ISO noise, don't shoot JPG, shoot RAW.