Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2009, 11:58 AM   #1

K2000 - I wish I had never read the review

Hi,

Long time no post. A few years ago I had a Pentax K100D. Loved the camera, but my right wrist couldn't handle the weight. Went back to Panasonic super zooms. Then I saw this camera! Really thought it had some nice features and cool little toys to play with, such as the filters. So, I pre-ordered it. Now the weekend is filled with with the review horror story. Knowing that things like reviews need to be taken for what they are, an opinion, I wonder if I should back out of my order.

Yes, I am a female. I'm in my early 50's, but I'm certainly not a novice to DSLR photograpy. Custom menu settings are not beyond my skill set. I would rather not shoot RAW and post process every image though. The light weight does matter as does in-body image stabilization. However, if this truly is some sort of crippled camera with lower quality lenses than competitors in the same size bracket, then I need to make a decision in a hurry about cancelling my order.

Talk me into it Talk me out of it I just don't want to buy in haste and repent in leisure. Heaven forbid our only local store actually carry anything but Nikon and Canon in mass.

Debbie
PS: Fire at will!! I pre-ordered the WHITE version. I love things with a retro look. There is no excuse for me

01-31-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would say wait for it and try it our for a few days (if your store has a decent return policy). I try not to put too much stock in what reviewers say... (see RiceHigh's rant on reviews).

I take into account what fellow users experiences and make up my own mind once I tried the product.

But thats just my opinion....

Pat
01-31-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Debbie, I think the biggest problem for you will be lens selection. The two lenses that come with the white K2000 are probably going to be as light as they get considering they are plastic. If that setup is too heavy for you, maybe you should hold out for the new micro 4/3 systems.
01-31-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The two main concerns for the reviewers were:
  1. In-camera JPEG characteristics
  2. Lack of AF point in viewfinder

Are these important to you? The JPEG characteristics can be overridden. If the AF points are a concern, you might want to take a serious look at the K200D. Of course, if you must have it in white...

Steve

(More concerned myself about the "L" version kit lenses...)

01-31-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Izzy Quote
... lower quality lenses than competitors in the same size bracket...
The lens quality is at least as good as the competition, but build is not quite as good as the previous version kit lenses. Gone is the metal mount. Gone also is "quick-shift" focusing.

The best advice is to actually compare cameras. The KM/K2000 is a nice unit. So are the competitor's products. Go to the store and see which fits your hand better and feels most natural to use. Decide in advance what additional lenses (if any) you anticipate needing and find out what they will cost. Go home and put it all down on paper or on a spreadsheet on the computer. Include pro/cons and estimates of total cost. The obvious choice should jump out at you.

Steve
01-31-2009, 12:48 PM   #6

I have had it for a while now and I am extremely satisfied with the camera. The review is so wrong, I would just ignore it and try one for yourself.

I also have a K20D and a 5D MkII, the K-m is often the one I take, with a couple of limited lenses, you don't get more compact than that.
01-31-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The two main concerns for the reviewers were:
  1. In-camera JPEG characteristics
  2. Lack of AF point in viewfinder

Are these important to you? The JPEG characteristics can be overridden. If the AF points are a concern, you might want to take a serious look at the K200D.
I'd like to reiterate this. Read the concluding paragraph again They actually liked the camera quite a bit, except for these two things. Frankly, neither would affect me one bit: I shoot RAW, and only use the center focus point. Even if I shot JPEG, I'd certainly have the sense to tweak the settings to suit me.

So if you were OK with not being able to select or view the focus points before ordering, I don't know why that should change just because someone else thought it would be a problem for some people.

01-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Don't listen to the DPR review of it, that is probably one of their worst.
01-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
Don't listen to the DPR review of it, that is probably one of their worst.
Well, I rather agree with them. I used K2000/K-m for a week and while initially excited, finally it just felt underwhelming. If I'd be looking for small cam I'd go for E-420, if I'd be looking for Pentax specifically, then perhaps K200D. Probably it's just me but I failed to see any benefits of having K-m over anything else. It's not like it beats competion by miles with anything other than being available in white. I could possibly fancy white camera, I imagine, but then again I couldn't live with that kit lens quality.

So for me the review was pretty much spot on and I agree with the conclusion -- average camera, nothing special. Not a bad purchase but nothing to write home about too.
01-31-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

All cameras have their shortcomings - it really depends on what you are willing to accept.

The K2000/km - seems like a very nice dSLR to me - if it were available as body only - I would have got one.

It has 10Mp - this is more than adequate for 19"x13" prints and about 13"x9" exhibition quality prints - so examining at the pixel level would be petty -

No, it does not get the very best out of its JPGs when compared to RAW -
but then I can't think of ANY dSLR JPGs that can match their own RAW -
otherwise why even have RAW?

I would worry only if I was displaying my images at full pixels - that would be 3872x2592 pixels and at 96dpi screen resolution that's a 40"x 27" image on a screen - I don't think there are even monitors that can do that....

or if I were printing to larger than 26"x17" regularly.....
I know I can't afford to do that.

I think the main problem with reviews is that they have to note differences and inadequacies -
But the important thing for us is to realize what is important for us and what really makes a practical difference.

Remember the K10D, well regarded here, did not get such a great review either - one of the main criticisms was that its JPGs were not the best that could be got out of its RAW - sounds familar?
So how many people here dumped their K10D?

I still only use a 6mp K100D -
so you should be able to take better pictures than me with a K2000 ......
01-31-2009, 02:53 PM   #11

I agree.

For me (actually my wife), there are two major shortcomings of k2000: 1) lack of AF selection and confirmation; 2) 4 AA batteries kill the lightweight benefit. I do not care about its in-camera jpeg processing.

The biggest benefit of k2000: it has an AF mount for 3 LEs and all DA pancakes.

QuoteOriginally posted by aabram Quote
Well, I rather agree with them. I used K2000/K-m for a week and while initially excited, finally it just felt underwhelming. If I'd be looking for small cam I'd go for E-420, if I'd be looking for Pentax specifically, then perhaps K200D. Probably it's just me but I failed to see any benefits of having K-m over anything else. It's not like it beats competion by miles with anything other than being available in white. I could possibly fancy white camera, I imagine, but then again I couldn't live with that kit lens quality.

So for me the review was pretty much spot on and I agree with the conclusion -- average camera, nothing special. Not a bad purchase but nothing to write home about too.
01-31-2009, 03:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Don't worry about it, unless you absolutely need the AF indicator.

Like you, I am also getting a bit tired of the weight of my K10D and would love to have a smaller, lighter camera.

The AF indication is not a big deal for me, since I mostly shoot centre AF or manual. And I always shoot RAW, so in camera processing is not a big deal.

If you do get it, and decide you don't like it, let me know. I may be interested!
01-31-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If weight is an issue, I would think Pentax has the best possible lens selection, with the pancake limiteds. I think the DA 40ltd would look great on the white K-m!

Here is the DA40 ltd:
01-31-2009, 05:24 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you all so much for sharing your thoughts with me. Nice variety of responses from love it to under-whelmed and all things in between. No I'm not hooked on white. Interesting read on the Rich High opinion on reviews. I'm going to continue to ponder it. I can't express enough how greatful I am to all of you.

Debbie
01-31-2009, 05:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

dpreview is a hack site. Their reviews are tainted crap. Only read them for the specs and menus, forget the rest.

Mine shows up next week. My plan is to mount my 43/1.9 to it and use it primarily as a street cam. With a limited prime (such as the 40 shown above or any of the other ones) the body should be a great, highly portable system. I *always* shoot with center focus so I don't care at all about choosing focus points. I point at whatever, then keep the shutter down halfway and recompose if need be. I also never use a jpg out of the camera so that isn't an issue either. But ymmv.