Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2009, 06:43 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Hello Izzy,

I'm moving up to a dslr (from a Canon S5) and I also pre-ordered the white Pentax K2000. It's a sexy camera. I would not be put off by what the review says about the jpg engine. After reading the review and comments posted on DPR, the review was done using the default settings (bright mode). To "correct" the "flaw" that DPR mentions, you would have to tweak the settings of the camera (use natural/neutral mode and maybe add some sharpening). It's all a matter of taste. And the K2000 allows you to customize to suit your tastes - unlike the competition.

After months of board-trolling and flip-flopping between which dslr to buy, I've settled with the Pentax K2000 just cause it looks good in white. And it's a great value for the price (2 matching lenses and in-body stabilization). Also, I love being able to use AA batteries. I can't wait for the camera to arrive. I'm sure it'll sell more than its listed price when these things hit ebay. I don't plan on doing that, but I'm sure someone will.

Anyhow, I can't wait to get mine and start shooting.

Last edited by bladerunner0427; 02-01-2009 at 01:53 AM.
01-31-2009, 06:56 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read the review after I bought my camera. It worried me a bit, but after some use, I think they were just wrong. Mine had a similar complaint about JPEGs, but it's not an issue in real life. It can be dealt with simply by altering the settings on the camera.
01-31-2009, 08:16 PM   #18

Original Poster
You all are just great. I sort of pondered and read and looked at other offerings in the weight range I desire and I think I've just decided to sit around and be excited waiting for mine to arrive! I've never had a camera I didn't tweak for my vision anyway. I wonder....the K100d would use two CVR3 batteries rather than 4AA's, if this one will do the same. I used to get miles and miles out of a set CVR's. So hopefully sometime in February I'll be able to truly join in on the fun here.

Debbie
01-31-2009, 11:49 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Izzy Quote
I wonder....the K100d would use two CVR3 batteries rather than 4AA's, if this one will do the same. I used to get miles and miles out of a set CVR's.
The K200D's battery compartment was specifically designed to be a little smaller than the K100D and CRV3's don't fit. I'm betting the K2000 is similar. In any case, buy a set of Eneloops or other low self-discharge rechargeables, and you'll get miles out of your K2000 too (K200D gets >500 shots; K2000 is presumably similar), and you won't have to throw them out when they do run out.

02-01-2009, 12:09 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Don't listen to the reviews or the naysayers. The camera is great. It has some flaws as do all of them. but one of the benefits oer the K100/200 is even quicker access to commonly changed settings, more important to me than the features missing. It is also a far more responsive camera in terms of AF and operation speed.

If you shoot RAW you'll love it, and if you shoot Jpeg you'll love it once you tweak the settings to your liking.

As to the kit lens. It lacks the metal mount and quick shift but it is a very well built kit, esp compared to the Canon and Nikon equivalents.
02-01-2009, 02:03 AM   #21

Decide what's imortant

Thank you all so much for sharing your thoughts with me. Nice variety of responses from love it to under-whelmed and all things in between. No I'm not hooked on white. Interesting read on the Rich High opinion on reviews. I'm going to continue to ponder it. I can't express enough how greatful I am to all of you.

Debbie
I'd just like to say that I am extremely pleased with my K-m, and use it quite a lot. I eight weeks I have taken 1400 shots. Last Friday I was walking around in 111 F taking pictures. I like its simplicity, portability, feeling of quality and the advanced features you don't have to use if you don't want to.

Here are sample shots

Flickr: Redzircon's Photostream

http://picasaweb.google.com/home

All the best
02-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #22

Not much to add but I have the K200D, love it, my oldest son will Pic up the White K2000 when it comes out (fits his car's Stormtrooper Theme) so he can use my lenses, I'm sure it will be a great DSLR for him, certainly better then the usual Nikonan lower priced offerings....

But I have to ask, what are you doing to strengthen your wrist? Even the K2000 weighs a lot more then your average superzoon, you should be looking into some light free weights you can do in front of the tv and work on your arms, wrists, shoulders. Make some sexy arms!

02-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
...I wonder....the K100d would use two CVR3 batteries rather than 4AA's, if this one will do the same. I used to get miles and miles out of a set CVR's. So hopefully sometime in February I'll be able to truly join in on the fun here.

Debbie
If CRV3s don't fit, something like Energizer E2 Lithium AAs are a good choice. They are much lighter than NiMH rechargeables, last forever like CRV3s, and have a long shelf life. I just weighed a set, and they are about 60 grams, vs. 120 grams for NiMH.
02-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #24

I'll join the chorus: Don't worry, be happy. Coupled with something like a pankake-lens *hint hint* you are bound to have an extremely lightweight cam.
02-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'd like to reiterate this. Read the concluding paragraph again They actually liked the camera quite a bit, except for these two things. Frankly, neither would affect me one bit: I shoot RAW, and only use the center focus point. Even if I shot JPEG, I'd certainly have the sense to tweak the settings to suit me.

So if you were OK with not being able to select or view the focus points before ordering, I don't know why that should change just because someone else thought it would be a problem for some people.
Good points

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
If weight is an issue, I would think Pentax has the best possible lens selection, with the pancake limiteds. I think the DA 40ltd would look great on the white K-m!
Pancakes are gonna be brilliant on the K-m :
21 mm

40 mm

43 mm

various limited lenses

Last edited by Jonson PL; 02-02-2009 at 05:39 AM.
02-01-2009, 10:53 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I find all the talk on review sites about the superiority of jpeg (out of camera) being superior from Canon & Nikon rather amusing to say the least.

One of the reasons I bought my Pentax was that I found I liked the Jpeg output far nicer.

The colors were richer, more vibrant and had a lot more "headroom" for pp tweaks (in jpeg) than the others.

All the shots in my gallery were shot in jpeg with most just having sharpening added and slight contrast adjustment (according to my taste).

Having seen quite a few pics from the Km-I believe its exposing ability has been improved over the older models.
02-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder, after all. I remember moving from a P&S Nikon E880 to my first DSLR (Canon D30) and thinking that something was wrong with the camera because everything looked so soft and heavily antialiased. Turns out, that was the flavor of the day and the Canon "look".

Needless to say, it's really a matter of preference, TBH.

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
I find all the talk on review sites about the superiority of jpeg (out of camera) being superior from Canon & Nikon rather amusing to say the least.

One of the reasons I bought my Pentax was that I found I liked the Jpeg output far nicer.
02-01-2009, 11:32 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
dpreview is a hack site. Their reviews are tainted crap. Only read them for the specs and menus, forget the rest.
I would have to agree!
02-02-2009, 02:03 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Re: My "Rant" (And don't cancel / return..)

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
I would say wait for it and try it our for a few days (if your store has a decent return policy). I try not to put too much stock in what reviewers say... (see RiceHigh's rant on reviews).

Pat
I provide also the URL of my somehow longish "rant" here and hope you will feel better after reading it! :-)

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Problematic DPR "Reviews" (Esp. Recent Ones)

Actually, I don't think my above longish article is a rant, its more or less my wholehearted words with "calm" analyses, although I was really angered at first.. :-)

Bottom line: Since I found the K-m is more accurate and faster so far (yet to be verified more to see if it really fully meets my requirements, though), if the in-camera jpeg is crappy (to a certain extent it is, but so do many other DSLRs), shoot RAW and convert them all in a batch - big deal!

And, since you already decided (and pre-ordered), why cancel the order? If you cancel it, would you find something you like better to buy? So my humble advice is: just take it and try, you *may* love it!
02-02-2009, 02:09 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
If CRV3s don't fit, something like Energizer E2 Lithium AAs are a good choice. They are much lighter than NiMH rechargeables, last forever like CRV3s, and have a long shelf life. I just weighed a set, and they are about 60 grams, vs. 120 grams for NiMH.
I bet possibly CR-V3s won't fit, as what K200D does. I shall try it out soon and I want to use my old stock too!

P.S. CR-V3s are more long lasting in my K100D, *ist DS and D than the Energizer AA Lithiums - they have different chemical formulas!