Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2007, 09:49 AM   #1

Bad moire pattern problem from K10d. Fixable?

Wow I was really surprised to see several examples of very bad moire patterns when shot in Raw PEF and converted to DNG. Can't seem to excape it. Any ideas?

Can it be fixed? How do I avoid this in the future?

Thanks.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by Photomy; 03-26-2007 at 09:58 AM.
03-26-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photomy Quote
Wow I was really surprised to see several examples of very bad moire patterns when shot in Raw PEF and converted to DNG. Can't seem to excape it. Any ideas?

Can it be fixed? How do I avoid this in the future?

Thanks.
Is it there before you convert it?
03-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
Is it there before you convert it?
I am not sure what you mean. If you mean does it show up when I bring the PEF file directly into PS (CS2), and do not use the Adobe DNG convertor program, then yes it is still there. My copy of Pentax Photo Lab does not seem to work so I use PS only. I did not take any JPEGs to compare with.

There were several other shots with the same blue knit shirt that were even worse. I had no idea that a camera with an AA filter installed could have moire this bad at high resolution. Hopefully this shirt just happened to have just the right knit pattern frequency?
03-26-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am not sure what you mean. If you mean does it show up when I bring the PEF file directly into PS (CS2), and do not use the Adobe DNG convertor program, then yes it is still there. My copy of Pentax Photo Lab does not seem to work so I use PS only. I did not take any JPEGs to compare with.

There were several other shots with the same blue knit shirt that were even worse. I had no idea that a camera with an AA filter installed could have moire this bad at high resolution. Hopefully this shirt just happened to have just the right knit pattern frequency?
As far as I know, the strength of the AA filter is inversly proportional to the amount of moire. Stronger AA, less moire. At least generally speaking.
Resolution is also inversly proportional to the strength of the AA filter..
My D hardly ever exhibits moire. The critics say it's resolution is lower than most 6mp DSLR's. Pick your poison......

03-26-2007, 07:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

that is weird.
One long shot to try is......
set your color space output to Adobe RGB 1998 in your camera

If you are in bright color mode, then switch it to natural mode.

I am taking a stab in the dark with those idea, but worth a try.

otherwise, I did not read in detail about other camera's with the same problem, but if you do a search a few nikon forums have a solution posted for nikon cameras, but not sure if the idea could be transfered to the K10

otherwise you will have to post process in photoshop to get rid of it

good luck and let us know how you solve the problem if you can

cheers

randy
03-26-2007, 08:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I had no idea that a camera with an AA filter installed could have moire this bad at high resolution.
Actually, most cameras would exhibit moire under the right circumstances. This is a fact of life for digital sensors with photo sites aligned in a regular pattern. The only way to avoid them is to blur them out - i.e. AA filter; but you reduce the resolution in doing so. So it is always a compromise.
03-27-2007, 07:43 AM   #7
dbh
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Actually, most cameras would exhibit moire under the right circumstances. This is a fact of life for digital sensors with photo sites aligned in a regular pattern. The only way to avoid them is to blur them out - i.e. AA filter; but you reduce the resolution in doing so. So it is always a compromise.
With subjects likely to produce the moire pattern, try a few brackets with slight camera tilts. You can straighten the shots later.

You can try adding some noise to the unprocessed image.
Make a few copies - add random noise to each, add them back together. You can mask out areas where increased detail needs to be retained.

Also Google "removing moire patterns with photoshop" for several step-by-step procedures.
--
dbh