Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #1

sensor cleaning for k10d

hey guys,

whats the best way to clean the k10d's sensor?

i've noticed more spots on my k10d... Some have been blown away by my dust blower, i still have one that won't go away...

no way am i touching my sensor... too paranoid i might just scratch it.

is there a proper way?

if there is a previous thread bout this, kindly show me the way =)

thanks!

02-01-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
Forum Member

I have had success using the Arctic Butterfly on a Canon. It is kind of expensive for what you get but it gets the job done.

I find that dust blowers sometimes make the situation worst, especially if there is that one stubborn particle that won't go away.
02-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Make sure that when you use the blower the mirror is up.
Try taking the lens off and holding the camera with the front facing down. Operate the dust removal mechanism, leave it a few seconds and repeat. Do this four or five times (you can even rotate the camera as you do it but keep the front facing down.
One other thing, when changing lenses, make sure the camera is turned off, static can suck dust into the camera.
02-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I've had good results just with a Rocket blower.

02-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have three things I use on my K100D.

First: the rocket blower, which works for the dust most of the time. Keep in mind that you may actually blow dust up in behind the view finder, if that sort of thing bothers you(dust will eventually find its way there anyway). You could probably skip this step and go directly to the second step. But I would get one anyway because they work great for blowing dust off of lenses too, and they are cheap. Giottos Rocket Air Blower Review

Second: If the rocket blower doesn't get it all, I go to the artic butterfly which will get whats left, 99.9% of the time. VisibleDust - Product Page

Third: As a last resort I go to the digital survival kit (Photographic Solutions, Inc. - Digital & Photographic Cleaning Solutions), which I have only had to use once in the 18 months I have had the camera. I think on the digital survival kit you have to make sure you get the one with the correct fluid in it, as there are 2 different types, if I remember correctly. (I got the cheap one with the 4 sensor swabs)

Anyway, I searched around and there were all kind of suggestion for sensor cleaning with everything from canned air to someone who tried using a cheap medical bulb syringe. In the end I decided it would be better to invest a little in a cleaning kit, than ruin my camera. I shopped around and got all three together for under $100.

Have a good one.

7.62lew
02-02-2009, 07:54 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the tips!

I saw the Rocket Blower at a local shop, I might just get it next week.

Will research more on the artic butterfly, and see where I can find it locally.

=)
02-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Make sure that when you use the blower the mirror is up.
Try taking the lens off and holding the camera with the front facing down. Operate the dust removal mechanism, leave it a few seconds and repeat. Do this four or five times (you can even rotate the camera as you do it but keep the front facing down.
One other thing, when changing lenses, make sure the camera is turned off, static can suck dust into the camera.

Good suggestions, especially about the mirror.

02-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by chicochongchu Quote
hey guys,

whats the best way to clean the k10d's sensor?....
I rarely have to clean the sensors on my K10D bodies but when I do I use the Pentax Sensor Cleaning Kit O-ICK1. It's easy and safe but I recommend the Visible Dust Sensor Loupe to aid in seeing exactly where the dust is located. Adorama has both of these items.

Richard
02-03-2009, 12:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not the proper way

Not the propwer way, but very effective - Scotch Magic Tape 810.

I'll probably receive a lot of flack for this, but it works, and it is safe - as long as you are sure that your batteries are properly charged.

I set the camera on sensor cleaning, take a 6-8 inch piece of Scotch Magic tape and fold it into a loop with the adhesive side out. Using the back end of a pen or a pencil I lightly touch the sensor with the tape and make sure that it is in contact all the way from side to side. I lightly pull the tape away from one side.

For good measure, I use another piece of tape, repeat and this time pull the tape away in the other direction.

Sensor absolutely clean - and fear not: there is absolutely no glue/adhesive on the sensor. It is as clean as it can be.

Test before and after with a picture of the sky at smallest aperture and focus not at infinity.

I don't recommend it if you are nervous about this solution, but I can guarantee that it works well for me.

It has been my only cleaning method in combination with the occasional blast from a blower for more than three years on the DS and more than two years on the K10D.

---

If you are sceptical - try cleaning the top and back LCD with the tape or a dirty filter. It really works.

EDIT:
Use ONLY Scotch Magic Tape 810 - this tape has a special kind of adhesive

Last edited by LaHo; 02-03-2009 at 03:34 AM. Reason: additional information
02-03-2009, 01:45 AM   #10

The thought of leaving behind the adhesive sends shivers down my spine so not something I will try.

But thanks for sharing your way though I'll stick with using a blower for now.
02-03-2009, 03:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used everything from a microfiber cloth, fine paint brush, tissue, Q-Tip and when empty handed, my finger, haha.

Figured, since I was about to shoot a wedding I picked up one of these:

LENSPEN is The superior Camera lens cleaning system for all fine optics, rifle scopes, camcorder and camera viewer screens, binoculars

Sensorklear Review

You could pick up a spin brush and magnifier used for that purpose but IMO that's only good for dust, not grease or stuck on grime, plus it costs about $100. To clean the felt tip of the pen use a piece of tape to remove dirt. It's good for over 500 uses. I shoot a test shot of the sky or ceiling slightly overexposed to check for any spots. Surprisingly my sensor was fine before buying the pen but I used it anyway just in case.
02-03-2009, 04:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Searched results.

PentaxForums.com - Search Results

Some pretty helpful threads contained within.

Jason
02-03-2009, 05:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I used a blower and if stubborn dirt I used the Copperhill method... worked great for me on a number of cameras including the K10d..

Sensor Cleaning

The first one on the site above is the kit I use..
02-03-2009, 05:35 AM   #14
Inactive Account

First use a large Rocket Blower and then the arctic butterfly. I had the same aversion to touching the sensor as you do. Last spring while out taking some landscape shots, a bit of pollen affixed itself to the sensor. I used the rocket blower again and again to no avail. While at a camera shop they said " If the Arctic Butterfly doesn't work, you can return it. " I read up on it, put the camera in cleaning mode ( Mirror UP ) and by the second swipe of the arctic butterfly the loupe showed a clean sensor. Oh, and the sky did not fall when the brush touched the sensor.
02-03-2009, 06:02 AM   #15

What I did when I had some dust on my K110D sensor was:

1. Bought a little cheap blower thing from the Dollar Store.
2. I put the mirror up.
3. Help the camera upside down, so the dust can come out.
4. Gave about 5 or 6 shots/blows at the sensor in different spots.
5. Put mirror down, and everything was clear.

That's what worked for me.

-Isaac