Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #31
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Confused,

Great handle!

I'm nowhere near being a professional, I just have a bad addiction in getting started with Pentax stuff. I first brought a brand new *ist DS but then a great deal came along for a K10D so I snagged that. I just thought it was unusual to be able to buy a brand new *ist DS in 2009 and heard several people say a lot of good things about it. I'm just wondering if it has enough special characteristics for me to put it to good use, if so I'll keep it. Some forum members have pointed out that it meters better with legacy lenses and has great high iso performance. It is also a lot smaller, so it might be the better camera to carry if I want to travel light. There is also the convinence factor of having two bodies with different lenses, this way I don't get caught up trying to change lenses.

But then I'm worried about the K10D producing vastly superior images, making me so disappointed with the *ist DS that I wouldn't be using it. If that were the case, I might as well sell it to someone that can make better use of it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi greenboy

As others have reiterated before, if you seriously intend taking photographs on a professional basis (charging fees to a client), then imho a back-up body is an utterly essential requirement. However I'm not a pro myself and thus some might regard owning two identical bodies as something of a luxury. I personally waited until the price of the K10D body had come down sufficiently before purchasing a second one, as I simply find it a great deal easier to grab the body/lens combo that I require rather than continuously swapping lenses over all the time. Hope this helps somewhat.....

02-02-2009, 05:54 PM   #32

I still have my DS because it travels well because of its size, great high ISO performance and it works great with my pair of AF500FTZ flash units.

Is it a backup body or is it another digital photography tool that I still use when I am not using my K20D?

Tom
02-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by greenboy Quote
I'm just wondering if it has enough special characteristics for me to put it to good use, if so I'll keep it.
Since you don't need to sell it to buy the second camera, keep both for a time and see for yourself if it's worthwhile.
02-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #34

Photos: Gallery
Just get a K20D so my DL will become a backup ...
May bring together for some event to avoid changing lens