Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
Forum Member

How many of you have backup bodies? Help me decide!

I originally wanted to get into Pentax because I wanted to try some of the cheaper legacy lenses but I caught the Pentax bug and next thing I knew I found myself as an owner of a K10D and a couple of limited lenses. While I had this Pentax flu (and it isn't entirely over yet) I also purchased a brand new *ist DS. Now I feel conflicted if I should sell the *ist DS or just keep it as a backup body. Since the K10D is suppose to be vastly superior, does anyone see any point in keeping the *ist DS? For those that have more than one camera body, do you guys use both when they are vastly different on the technological front?

02-01-2009, 09:02 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
If you're earning money from making photos I see every point in having a back-up. One wide/long/prime lens, one with flash (or whatever combination you choose) as never know when the gremlins are going to strike, or you'll wish you'd had longer/shorter/wider/faster.

If it's not absolutely necessary why spend? It doesn't make sense to me if you're only going to carrying the back-up as a back-up and it's only going to get used on the odd occasion.

I'm sure you can think of a few other areas where it'd be worth splashing out.

My penneth for what it's worth.
02-01-2009, 09:22 AM   #3
Inactive Account

2x K10D's here, but as HouseofHorla indicated above....we shoot portraits and family shoots for fees - and don't want to get caught with no equipment on the job.

I think there are some benefits to the IST DS over the K10D (high ISO, if memory serves me correctly), so it may make sense to have to different bodies, rather than two identical.

c[_]
02-01-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

i am (was) in a VERY similar situation, but instead of the *Ist DS, i got a *Ist DL.

I bought it few months ago because of a trip to Europe and i needed a smaller body. That was done and the original plan was to sell it once i got back to the USA.

Now, few things to point out:

* fell in love with the DL: small, good high ISO, end light
* i do weddings occasionally and there is a justification to have two bodies.
* i still want the K2000 for the back up body (really fast AF) but i just cant find a good reason to sel the DL (besides money, of course!), but i can find many reason to keep it: M42 dedicated? Traveling beater? motorcycle road body? etc...

Obviously, i paid a good price for the DL and even got MS Cashback on it, so it is even easier to keep it. And I still am looking for a K200D or K2ooo for wedding backup body (actually a 2nd working body, not only a back up).

And before someone says i may have "CBA" , let me clarify the following: LBA you buy lenses and in some cases you dont use them that much. With my bodies, I am ALWAYS using the DL, actually, a bit more than the K1D, which i only reserve for project-specific photos.

02-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #5

K100D for backup and a K20D for everyday use
02-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I like to shoot twin bodies and I currently ride on a couple of k10d's.

If you are making money, it is absolutely necessary to have backup of everything everything everything.....not kidding.

just wait until one breaks.....i hated that day...and the other time....

thank god for school loans right?
02-01-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

It all really depends on your photography and your reasons for doing it.

If money is at stake i.e. it's your job and therefore failure is not an option, you would not even be asking the questiion, as someone already said multiple backups of everything you and even then, some extras as spares.

For the hobbist it's still real nice to have a couple of bodies, even if it's just for ease of use, remember a photograph is just an instant of time and you don't want to miss it, through changing a lens.

I would get another K10D as the backup body (their cheap enough nowadays), or even a K20D as they both will handle the same or similar and it becomes second nature in use. I know for me, that I'm less prone to cock ups through pilot error that way.
02-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I get paid for my photography so it's extremely important that I have backups. But if you're just a recreational photographer or hobbyist then if your camera fails, you have only yourself to answer to. So obviously backup isn't as important from a non-business standpoint.

However, even as a hobbyist, it can be very frustrating if the greatest photographic opportunity in your lifetime is right before your eyes and suddenly your camera has stopped working. It certainly would be nice to have a backup.

I have the K20d, K10D, and istDS. The DS is a great camera however it's only 6mp. That's OK as long as you're not trying to make prints larger than 8x10. Otherwise, the image quality is excellent. I don't think the DS auto focus is as fast as the K10D or K20d though and it doesn't have all the bells and whistles. But it certainly gets the job done.

Recreational photography is not so critical that you MUST have a backup so if your budget is limited then I would not spend the money on one. Besides, am I really going to carry that backup camera around with me everywhere I go? The reality is that you'll hardly ever use the backup, so why spend the money?

02-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #9
Kei

I have the K200d and my backup is the DL, and I am no pro here.

I bought the K200d for $600 + tax and the DL (a few months later) for $200 all-in. Having a second body is way better than buying those "extended warranty plan" anyway; and the deal I came across for the DL was just too good to pass up.

Now I just use the DL as a beater/family/experiment/take-anywhere camera. The K200d will be used when I am sure I can shoot lots of pics.

Below the DL, I still have a bunch of p&s as well (those I bought before moving up to dslr and I would never sell them).
02-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #10

I am still a hobbyist at this point in my photography and my older k10d is now pretty much a dedicated manual focus lens camera since it has a katz eye screen installed. k20d is my main body and since I didn't want the spot metering messed with on it, I kept the katz eye on the k10d.

also a second body can extend the life of your cameras as it not just one camera being used so it doesn't get beat up all the time and keep in mind that the shutter is only rated to last about 100K actuations.

Last edited by sharko; 02-01-2009 at 11:34 AM.
02-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have 5 digital bodies. One is a gx-1l (ist-dl). I would never sell it because its worth more than I could get, and I couldn't replace it for what it would sell for. I'm also going to call BS on the 8x10 comment. I've printed 16x20's with the 6mp sensor and the prints look awesome. I think you could go 20x30 as long as you dont crop the original image much. Just my 2 cents
02-01-2009, 11:37 AM   #12

I tried carrying two cameras for a while to minimize lens changes, but didn't like it. I sold 2 K10Ds on eBay and bought a K20D, which I love. I just bought a K-m as a light-weight kit for hiking and airline travel, basically for when I don't want to lug around the large K20D. I didn't need the K-m, but I got it for a great deal on a ProDigital2000 eBay auction, so I figured "what the heck"; $355 including shipping. Unfortunately it had a pretty severe front focusing problem with all my lenses, so it is on the way back to Ontario for an exchange.

So mine is not a backup as much as it is a second camera
02-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My backup body would be a film camera. While I don't plan on buying a second body ( if I came arcoss a real super deal, like under a hundred bucks I would go for it) when I eventually upgrade my K10D in a few years I will keep it as a spare. I had a couple of film SLR's at one time. A funny thing, the oldest camera I own, a Pentax SP 1000 is my spare which has survived over 30 years abuse. It will be interesting to see how long our digitals will last. Will our K10 and 20D's be around in 15 0r 20 years to do service as backup cameras. Will my grandkids be able to use one for their high school or college photography classes? My old cameras have been handed down, not sold.
02-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I always keep a second body. When I switched to the K10 I kept my istDS and when I got the K20, I kept the K10 (still do) andsold off the ist DS.

BUT I regret I sold the istDS, it has a very useable IR performance - better than any later modell, and that alone makes it worth keeping!

Ben
02-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #15

K10d backup, K20d for everyday or wide on K10,long on K20d.