Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #1

Time to Upgrade from K100D Super?

Need some friendly advice.

When will be the best time to upgrade from K100D Super to K20D (or something else that might be announced at PMA 2009)?

Need to watch my coins so the thought of buying a K20D is interesting if prices on new/used drop...

Your thoughts?

02-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This topic seems to pop up once every month or so. What is usually said by myself and a lot of others here is this: What, if anything, do you find lacking in your current setup that would prompt you to want to upgrade? For me I find my K100DS is a special little camera and I believe that I am no where near stretching the capabilities of the camera. Nor do I feel that the camera is hindering me in any way shape or form. Once that ceases to be true I will consider upgrading. However I do not see that happening anytime in the near or distant future. My $0.02.
02-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
YJD
Veteran Member

In May/June new DSLR from Pentax should be announce, so the price will drop.

I have a K100D Super too and I'll prefer to see what the new ones will look like to see if the upgrade to K3x is worth it compare to the K20D or if not, the K20D will be cheaper at that time.

Anyway, I think any upgrade will be a nice upgrade. The K100D Super is a nice camera and the newer cameras are even better.

Edit: The $0.02 from MrApollinax are pretty good. If you have use fully your current equipment, what is the point of changing? Guess I've got to give him 2 cents for that!
02-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Now is probably a good time to buy as there are some good deals at the marketplace on used equipment and a new body at Amazon are selling for $699.99. Shopping around may result in even better deals, be careful on deals that sound to good to be true.

02-12-2009, 04:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

got them both and... they are great

my .02?

Spend on lenses! and other stuff until you really slam against the limits of the body. The upper bodies will always come down in price.

I love my sick k20d and can't wait for it to get back. yet if I could do it all again, simply have all the money I have spent to spend tonight, I'd get the k100d and only the very best lenses and flash gear.
02-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The best time to upgrade is when there is a new camera that has a feature that you can absolutely not do without. I upgraded when my wife demanded that I get her a camera, so I gave her my old one and bought a new one. I probably would have kept the K100d otherwise.