Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2009, 07:38 AM   #16
Veteran Member

wait for march

the K10 will handle your needs till then.

02-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #17

I bought a K20D just because it was less than $700, with a 3 year warranty. I still have my (de-bugged) K10D since they aren't selling for much right now and I still use it.

The K20D isn't that much better than the K10D image wise in my opinion since I find the CMOS sensor to be less than it was advertised other than less noise at high ISO.

My *stDS had far less noise at high ISO also, so I am not sure how much of an improvement the K20D is in that area.

Tom
02-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You've got a couple of cameras. You should think about spending your money on good lenses, like a FA31 Limited (which you don't have).

Digital bodies come and go but good glass is forever.
02-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member

WTF - buy the dam# thing and get the K30 later!

Dave, you're asking the wrong person. I fully planned to sit out the K20 round until I saw the improvements in IQ and low light sensitivity. As you might imagine, the latter is pretty useful in gloomy swimming pools! I was surprised at the former - the K10 is very good but the K20 seems to render colour better and the transitions from colour to colour seem closer to analogue to me. I find this and the minor improvements to dynamic range to be very pleasing from an IQ perspective. I've been happy I upgraded and I'm not sure I would jump on the K30 bandwagon in March (or whenever). I would expect the pricing to come down to something more reasonable in the fall. Dave

02-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

-This sensor is really amazing !
-I have also remarked that the exposure has been improved. I have no more underexposed shots...
-I can shot in aperture priority with my manual lens + I can use the pttl flash with my bellows...
-Really less AF hunting...
-Dead pixel removal...
-Usable 1600iso !
02-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
ummm

I could get between $300 - $400 for my K10D maybe more if I also sell my istD and a few other things I don't really use.
Hi ya Dave,
I know you are expecting me to drop in sometime

but mate.....you do know you cant sell the wife & kids... dont ya... Dave? Dave!

Seriousy for a second, why not wait until PMA, if there is something new and it is the answer to all the prayers then you will have another option to consider. And if it is that good, then I cant see the K20 price rising either.

So hang tight buddy, all will be revealed.

Cheers
Grant
02-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member

not that i would have any influence, but i plan to wait a long time before upgrading from the K10D...what a fantastic camera.

02-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

K10Ds used or refurbished prices range from $350-$400.
A new K20D you can get for $650-$700...but for the $250-$300 difference:

1. You get a new up-to-date camera which will still resell good when new Kx0D arrives.
2. You get a bigger 2.7 LCD
3. Dust alert feature/ dust mapping
4. Fine-tuning of AF on lenses
5. Larger megapix
6. Debugged K10D "base program"
7. CMOS sensor which gives more accurate color repros
8. Higher ISO
9. Live view (even if half-baked)
..and others I failed to mention.
If you can justify these upgrades as $250-$300 worth, then I guess you know what to do.
For this price of an upgrade,it's like buying a better lens but..you get this all in one camera body (which will make a huge diff in all your lenses) instead of just one lens upgrade.
02-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's only money Dave
I was going to wait to see what is next but prodigital had such a deal and I wanted the high iso for birding so I went for it as I had the money in my camera fund. I am keeping the k10d (and my super) because the low iso of the k10d is really great. I'd say if you rarely go above iso 400 keep the k10d but if you need cleaner high iso you will be pleased with the 20. I figure it might be the last body without all that HD movie junk and I don't want it anyway. (I'm not going to get a car that talks either)
02-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Folks new Tally

** Reminder all these great US prices are non applicable to me so the $200 - $300 difference between selling my K10D is non applicable as well my best case would be $550+ difference and more likely a $650 difference ***

Anyway the new tally

11 - Buy it Dammit
6 - Wait
3 - Non committal (I see you on my fence)

The immediate driving reason is I have a trip coming up in a couple weeks. I know the K10D will do well as it did last year - but the K20D would do just that much better perhaps .. ummm 14 day return policy you know I would just miss that haha (gone 14 days) that is not my style anyway.......

Prodigital2000 said 4 days delivery but if they delay I miss my window do for an additional $150 I get one here .... Perhaps I need to hold one in my hands ... I'll bet if I did that it would be a moot point (as mentioned I have been avoiding the shop haha).

Appreciate all the feedback - it shows me most of you are like me - there are pros and cons to each and as for the K30 - I am a geek and no matter what toy I buy there is always a better one around the corner (Shall I tell you how much I paid for my first HD TV about 7 years ago ??? hahah)

Last edited by daacon; 02-03-2009 at 07:33 PM.
02-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I, for one, have decided that the lower noise in high ISOs is worth the additional money... Most of my shooting is done indoors in natural light, so I do see myself spending more time at 1600. Only one more week and I'll be able to buy my K20! I guess that means you can put me in the "Buy it, damnit" column.
02-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, I have to put in my $0.02. I upgraded from the K100 to the K20, and I am very happy with the K20. I don't think you will have any regrets if you upgrade to the K20.
02-03-2009, 11:30 PM   #28

My opinion: save your money! The new generation will be out pretty soon, and then you can either get a K20D for much cheaper or whatever's next-gen.
02-03-2009, 11:37 PM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I have been debating back and forth on a K20D for an upcoming trip. What's a photographer to do ? There is nothing wrong with my K10D at all. In fact it produces some of the best images I have ever taken - while I hope my skill set has improved - the equipment is still smarter than the operator most times haha

That said why should I upgrade? . I really have not heard a bad word from anyone that has upgraded actually. The cost is not prohibitive (while it is still $1k here) - I can offset that by selling my K10D here (hopefully).

I have put in a couple of best offers at Prodigital2000 and the counter offer has been soo close to what I offered not sure why I have not pulled the trigger yet. I have read most of the threads on the differences - I guess I am looking to be pushed off the fence haha one way or the other ..

So should I or shouldn't I ahhhhh this LBA/CBA is a freaking disease !!!
The K20D is a nice step up from the K10D however, if I were you I would wait until about the second week in March to upgrade. If Pentax is coming out with the K30D then the price will likely drop a little more for the K20D. You aren't lacking in glass so I would think with what you already have the K20D is your next step up.
02-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #30
dbh
Inactive Account

Hey Dave,
Having owned a K10D for just over 2 years and the K20D for nearly a year I'll weigh in with my 2 cents.
I use them both. Right now the k10 has the Sigma 180mm Macro on it and the K20 has the DA 35mm macro ltd. Which one I pick up is determined by which lens I want to use.
I didn't need to tweak the focus adjustments on either camera.
I've forgotten about the live view feature.
The screen size difference is insignificant to me in actual use I never notice.
I use them both at ISO of <=400
For dealing with dust I use a shot of the sky at minimum aperture, followed by a blow or 2 from the rocket bulb.
I shoot both in raw and use the fast Sandisk cards. Still the k20d's files process a little more slowly.

I wanted 2 bodies for backup and convenience and am happy I can use the same batteries and the same grip in either one.
Since you already have a backup and are happy with the k10D, perhaps waiting until either Pentax comes out with something truly and dramatically compelling or until one of your bodies craps out is a good way to go. Until then I'm seeing some pretty appealing new glass on the horizon...
--
dbh - just sayin'