Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K20D or Damit Dave wtf haha

I have been debating back and forth on a K20D for an upcoming trip. What's a photographer to do ? There is nothing wrong with my K10D at all. In fact it produces some of the best images I have ever taken - while I hope my skill set has improved - the equipment is still smarter than the operator most times haha

That said why should I upgrade? . I really have not heard a bad word from anyone that has upgraded actually. The cost is not prohibitive (while it is still $1k here) - I can offset that by selling my K10D here (hopefully).

I have put in a couple of best offers at Prodigital2000 and the counter offer has been soo close to what I offered not sure why I have not pulled the trigger yet. I have read most of the threads on the differences - I guess I am looking to be pushed off the fence haha one way or the other ..

So should I or shouldn't I ahhhhh this LBA/CBA is a freaking disease !!!

02-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #2

I think we need to find a darkened room to lie down in and have medical people throw us pretty coloured pills with which to dull the mania...
02-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20 best price yet?

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I have been debating back and forth on a K20D for an upcoming trip. What's a photographer to do ? There is nothing wrong with my K10D at all. In fact it produces some of the best images I have ever taken - while I hope my skill set has improved - the equipment is still smarter than the operator most times haha

That said why should I upgrade? . I really have not heard a bad word from anyone that has upgraded actually. The cost is not prohibitive (while it is still $1k here) - I can offset that by selling my K10D here (hopefully).

I have put in a couple of best offers at Prodigital2000 and the counter offer has been soo close to what I offered not sure why I have not pulled the trigger yet. I have read most of the threads on the differences - I guess I am looking to be pushed off the fence haha one way or the other ..

Abe's of Maine is offering the K20 for $707 with the 2.5% live.com discount,
Brian
02-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
GSk
Inactive Account

I would save my money and wait for the next Pentax improvement following the K20D. I don't think K20D is enough of an upgrade from my K10D to spend the money on it. Hopefully the next camera in the Kn0D-line from Pentax improves its ISO and AF speed/accuracy.

02-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Dave...I'm with ya. I'm curious too, but I have to agree with GSK - my K10's are excellent camera's...and until I see a significant change in bodies (AF, ISO, dynamic range) there's no need to fork out the cash.

c[_]

"Dammit Dave. WTF!"
02-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
(while it is still $1k here) - I can offset that by selling my K10D here (hopefully).
Put a price on what you're willing to pay to upgrade for the K20D's new features.
My price delta ended up being $200 but it could have been $150 if I timed it better (didn't sell K10D in time).

The one negative thing you might find is you'll see which of your lenses are really good and which ones aren't, so you'll end up on another LBA roller coaster afterwards

When the K20D Super or K30D or whatever it is comes out, it'll probably be more expensive than the K20D delta now...
02-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
GSk
Inactive Account

I would save my money and wait for the next Pentax improvement following the K20D. I don't think K20D is enough of an upgrade from my K10D to spend the money on it. Hopefully the next camera in the Kn0D-line from Pentax improves its ISO and AF speed/accuracy.
02-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

$707 vs ? for K30...

QuoteOriginally posted by GSk Quote
That may be the case for the K10-K20 jump, but for K100 - K20, it's quite a step up. After handling a K20 in the store today, with the vastly improved pentaprism vs pentamirror setup of my K100D, plus the second wheel that makes aperture/speed so much user-friendly than the wheel-button setup on the K100 (and I assume the K200 as well?), it's well worth the cost of upgrade now and worry about the virtues, and significant cost increase (?), of the K30 if/when it shows up,
Brian

02-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I didn't think I was going to upgrade but I ended up doing it recently. As you know though the differences are not big. For me the clincher was the 3yr extended warranty offer (I believe this expired end of 2008 though). Things that appealed to me:

- ~2/3EV better high ISO, with +2EV sensitivity (ISO 6400) avail. in a pinch
- AF adjustment feature (yes, I know K10D has some lesser form of this via firmware back doors)
- rumors (ok, perhaps unsubstantiated) that it worked better with old glass. If nothing else, EV comp is now available in M which can be handy for stop-down metering.

On the other hand...

- Live view on K20D is 1/4-baked at best. Kind of embarrassing how rough it is. Good thing I didn't care much about this. Presumably they'll get it at least 1/2-baked for the next body.

Also for me the idea was that selling my K10D could still pay for roughly half of the upgrade. I told myself that even if a new K30D is out within the next handful of months I probably won't want to pay full price for that either.
02-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I moved from the K10D to the K20D and everything about the K20D feels like a substantial upgrade to me. High ISO is hands down better, AF-C performance is fine, extra resolution is very nice, live view comes is more useful than I thought, my DA*16-50 purple fringing is gone.

Basically, everything on the K20D is at least a little better than the K10D, and some things are much better.

Not changed is the frame rate (though the 21 fps at 1.6 mp is useful), and the inability to turn off dark frame subtraction is annoying to some. For me, even when I paid the new adopter premium, it was worth it to me. At these prices, I think it's definitely worth it.
02-02-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I actually would say the opposite. The price for the K20Ds dipped to a low in December (going back up from what I've seen online) so the cost of upgrading from my used K10D to a new K20D with warranty and the much debated upgrades (more megapix, lens adjust, etc.) made it a worthwhile jump.

If I had waited to sell my K10D when the K30D came out, I would be paying a pretty good premium. At least now, I can safely say I have more camera than I need for quite a while.

I just have to work out my lens lineup to better match the quality of the K20D and I'll be happy as pie.

QuoteOriginally posted by GSk Quote
02-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #12
Damn Brit

Dave, it was your birthday recently, there should still be a little residual goodwill, ask your wife if you can have it.
02-02-2009, 08:35 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I never thought I'd upgrade from the K10D to the K20D. I am so pleased that I did! It's taken all the minor quirks of the K10D, smoothed them out, improved the image quality and noise and bumped up the AF speed. My K10D wouldn't take a level picture for anything and some of my lenses needed calibration. I love being able to fine tune the focus of each of my lenses on the K20D. The amount of in-focus keepers has dramatically gone up. This is a camera that's features will keep me pleased for a long time to come. The K10D felt good... it felt right.... the K20D feels even more so!
02-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Buying a cheap little gadget--like a split prism focusing screen, extension tubes, a lens cap, a metal hood for your old lenses--on ebay helps a little bit. It satisfies that perverse craving, yet it's easier on the wallet.
02-03-2009, 06:19 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
ummm so as I see it (I should have created a poll) We have:

7 - Buy it Dammit
2 - Wait
2 - Non commital (I see you on my fence)

I should mention I am Canadian for those that don't know - the Live discount and US pirces do not apply to me (currently about 20% premium USD vs Loonie) - so the best price I have seen from a Canadian retailer is about $850 (counter offer from Prodigital2000) - Cheapest local purchage is $999.

I could get between $300 - $400 for my K10D maybe more if I also sell my istD and a few other things I don't really use.

I have a couple of weeks to decide - not sure how quick Prodigital2000 delivers ... liklye too late for them - I have been avoiding the local shop (McBains) for fear of wtf buying - which I would not regret.

You are correct the new kxx will come out soon, maybe have better features but my guess is initial cost will be $1.2 - $1.5k the K20D may drop a bit may not - I would suspect there were certainly be more for sale here (K20D) and Eaby in general.

Ahhhhhhh still on the fence I am afraid - although more of you are pushing towards the puchase side