Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K20D digital preview?

What exactly is the point of this? As I see it, it essentially takes a picture - and just doesn't save it.....

Why not just take a picture? It's not like space is an issue these days....

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Ken

02-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Javaslinger Quote
What exactly is the point of this? As I see it, it essentially takes a picture - and just doesn't save it.....

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Ken
It's utterly useless. On my k200d, I changed it to 'DOF preview'.
02-02-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ken,

Like asdf, I don't find the live preview function on the K20D useful - and so I don't use it.

But when I'm shooting on a tripod and using a remote, I'm looking at the subject rather than the camera. Although I haven't yet started to do this, it has occurred to me that it might be useful to be able to glance quickly at the back of the camera to make sure that the subject is still, I dunno, still within the frame. I keep meaning to practice with it.

In any case, I suspect that live preview isn't going away. Many consumers want their dslr to work the way their old compact camera worked.

Will
02-02-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Javaslinger K20D digital preview?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Ken
It is a great feature which allows you to obtain correct exposure more easily. This is very important with some of the older lenses which do not meter so easily on Pentax DSLRs. The histogram shows you just how close, or far away, you are from getting the exposure you desire.

It does not save the shot, because the odds are it is not a keeper--it is just a shot to get you in the ballpark. But, if you happen to hit the perfect exposure by chance, you have the option to save the shot.

It is a lot like the "Preview Post" feature you use to "post" a reply--right? You can look at your writing, to verify its accuracy, without yet saving it to the forum--make sense?

Others here may be able to provide even more information on this useful feature. Best of luck.

02-02-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It's also available on the Sony a900, except for them, if they happen to get a good shot whilst taking the preview.. tough luck, it can't be saved (Unlike with the K20D).

It's good for studio work.
02-03-2009, 06:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It's useful if you have automatic review of turned off, which I do because I find that annoying, distracting, and battery-wasting. It's not a big deal, but it saves a few button presses.

I rarely use the optical preview since it's hard to judge sharpness in the tiny viewfinder anyway, so I might as well assign it to the one other possible function. (Too bad it can't be set to act like the green button, then freeing the green button for some other functionality....)
02-03-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Ken

I actually used it for the first time this past weekend. I had a shot where I had to hold the camera above my head, and out in front of me - so I obviosly couldn't look through the viewfinder. I THOUGHT I had the shot lined up correctly, but when I looked up at the preview I was able to see that I had the camera pointed a little too far to the right, so I was picking up some unwanted "stuff" in the picture.
Sure - I could have just taken the shot and cropped it out PP, but instead I was able to just point the camera a little more to the left and get the shot I wanted w/o having to ever lower my arms.
I was wondering about it's value too - before this past weekend. ;-)

Tim

02-03-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I use it in tricky lighting conditions to check the exposure before taking any "real" photos. I have the instant review feature turned off, so it's easier than waiting for the image to finish processing and then reviewing exposure. I probably use it in about 1 out of every 100 shots. Maybe 1 in 500.