Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Permit Aperture Ring

OK, maybe ther's been thousands of threads on this in the past, but after a search, I couldn't find any that directly answers my Q....
If I'm using both Auto and Manual lenses regularily, is there any disadvantage to just leaving the "Using Aperture Ring" in Custom Settings set to "Permitted"?
I have the K200d, and have left that setting on and seem to be able to use all my DA, KA, and K/M lenses with no problems, either in A or ring set to an aperture. Am I missing anything - should I switch the "Permitted" off for some reason?

02-03-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Enabling it just allows you to use both types of lenses. For the life of me with Pentax pushing lens backwards compatibility I don't know why this "feature" isn't on by default. Ever since I got my A50 f/2 lens the setting has been set to permitted always. No problems what so ever.
02-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As MrApollinax said, there is no harm on leaving this custom function "on" (aperture ring use permitted). As why it is not "on" as a factory default, my only guess is that Pentax intended this function (as well as all others) to work just fine out of the box when using any new lens available (DA or J) that do not have an aperture ring.
02-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter

As I see it it is a dumb option. Having it off (default) prevents you from pressing the shutter with a manual lens not on "A". If you didn't WANT to take a picture you wouldn't have pressed the shutter! I bought my wife her first DSLR (an istD) when they first came out. She had used manual SLRs for 25 years and had several K1000 lenses. When I came home the next night she was very frustrated, the shutter button on her new camera was, "jammed." Finally I located the poorly named option in the menus. She was a happy camper when her old Pentax 50mm f2.8 Macro started working. That camera still has never had an AF lens installed, in fact the Macro is never removed. At last, a dust free sensor. I eventually bought her a K100D which she uses with 3 AF lenses plus other manuals.

There is a thread almost every month from someone who can't get a manual lens to work. A lot of people are frustrated by that option.

I suppose somewhere in the Pentax world is someone who put on a manual lens, thought it was on "A", and was happy the shutter jammed...???

I just checked my K100D which usually has AF lenses, the option has been "permitted" for a couple of years.

Last edited by LeoTaylor; 02-03-2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Added Sentence
02-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Permit Aperture Ring

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
... For the life of me ... I don't know why this "feature" isn't on by default...

The only reason I can think of for having the default be OFF is this: if you're using a lens with the aperture ring and inadvertantly move it off the "A" setting, the e-dials won't operate the way you think they should, as far as the aperture is concerned. This could cause confusion with a user who isn't aware of the feature or could cause incorrect exposure. You may think you're setting the aperture to f/16 via the e-dial, but the ring is set to f/4.

That's not really a very good reason, IMHO, but its the best I can come up with. I set mine to permit the ring almost immediately and have never changed it back.

For those of us who understand how it works, changing it is no problem. The frequency with which this question comes up may be evidence that the Pentax engineers were right.

Paul Noble
02-03-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks

Great. Thank you helpful Pentaxians. I'm glad that I'm in good company in leaving the setting to "Permitted". Hey, this forum is really handy.