Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #1

metering in manual

Hi everyone

My question is about metering with the K200d in manual mode. I've been practicing with some manual Tak's and have noticed when I meter (green button) and take a pic, my DOF is small. Really really small and changing the apperature doesn't seem to open up the DOF any, it does effect the shutter.

Is this normal? Or should, I take the suggested shutter speed from the camera and lower it to open the DOF?

I've been reading up on this in the library and purchasing a couple books. I've been following these rules:

low light --------------- hi light
lrge app --------------- smll app
slo shutter ------------ fast shutter

Does this still apply for the manual lenses on a digital camera?

Sorry, I guess my question became questions.

I'll
Steve

02-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter

What do you mean changing the aperture doesn't open up the DOF?
Are you physical moving the aperture ring on the lens?
02-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you remember to slide the "Manual/Auto" switch on the side of the Takumar to the manual side? Takumars must be metered in stop-down mode (manual aperture).

Here are the rules for M-42 lenses:
  • Set the slider to "M" or "Manual" (if slider is present)
  • Use Av mode and let the camera choose the shutter speed as you choose the aperture (much easier than M mode with green button)
The lens should stop down as you turn the aperture ring. The shutter speed in the viewfinder should change to as the aperture changes.

Steve
02-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #4

Original Poster
zplus...yes, when I change the apperature ring on the lens it doesn't seem to effect the DOF

brot...I will definitely try that, hadn't thought of trying Av mode. I'm pretty sure it put the lens in manual but, come to think about it, I might also be turning or moving that switch when focusing.

I'm determined to figure out how to take good pics with old lenses now...LBA baby got ahold of me before the wife did...now I can only do my shopping when she's in bed

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming, any help or suggestions on using the old lenses I will definitely listen too.

Steve

02-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #5

Av mode doesn't work on the K200D using M42 lenses without one of various hacks. See this thread.
02-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zoeybird Quote
zplus...yes, when I change the apperature ring on the lens it doesn't seem to effect the DOF
Do you mean in the viewfinder or in the final picture? It won't affect the viewfinder unless the aperture actually closes down. With K-mount lenses that would require you to use the DOF preview. With M42 lenses the stop-down behavior is apparently controlled by the switch on the lens.

Anyhow, if you're saying it doesn't affect the *pictures*, I'd say that means the lens failed to actually stop down at all (either because it is defective or because you weren't following the procedure correctly). Could you post pictures taken wide open and fully stopped down, with EXIF intact so we can what shutter speed was used to verify that it really *was* stopping down?
02-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
Forum Member

Might be silly to bring up, but have you "permitted" "using aperture ring"(#23) in the custom menu?

If you haven't or are using AV mode the shutter will always shoot wide open.

I can't see any other reason the camera wouldn't depress the lenses stop lever which leaves the only other option as an actual malfunction in the lens.
02-04-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You CAN use AV mode with M42 lenses, I do it all the time. You can also use it with M lenses, BUT, those will shoot wide open only... M42 lenses do not have the aperture coupler lever like the M lenses do, so AV mode works fine ( with a little EV comp dialed in )

02-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #9

Really really small and changing the apperature doesn't seem to open up the DOF any, it does effect the shutter.
This lends me to believe that the lens is actually stopping down. You should just double check that the lens is in fact in Manual mode and not Auto, which might be counterintuitive. The other factor in DOF is also related to focal length (sorta ) of the lens and distance to subject (focal distance).

See:
Understanding Depth of Field in Photography
02-04-2009, 11:25 PM   #10

Original Poster
Hi again,

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Marc and all...I will try and put some up tomorrow when I get to a hotel...traveling and brought the camera just in case. I found that if I didn't enable the apperature ring permitted thing, I couldn't do much to get a picture.

One question, can I resize the pic and not lose the EXIF stuff?

I was thinking, I posted a question in the beginners thread about manual focusing being so difficult. I wonder if all this has something to do with it?!

I take some shots tomorrow and post them.
Steve
02-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One question, can I resize the pic and not lose the EXIF stuff?
Depends entirely on the software you are using, But most provide at leats an option to preserve EXIF info. Be sure to post somewhere that doesn't strip the EXIF out on upload also. If you use Flickr, post a link to the page containing the image, because EXIF can be accessed from there even though they strip it out of the image itself.

QuoteQuote:
I was thinking, I posted a question in the beginners thread about manual focusing being so difficult. I wonder if all this has something to do with it?!
Focus has nothing to do with what you are describing here.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 02-05-2009 at 08:36 PM.
02-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks Marc...definitely keep that in mind...never knew about the EXIF thing

I don't have the luxury of using alot of bandwidth right now cause I'm traveling but I will keep at it...and I bet I'll figure out what I've been doing wrong by then too...

Thanks for all the replies fellow pentax clones
Steve

If I run into trouble again...I will ask you all
Steve
02-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
You CAN use AV mode with M42 lenses, I do it all the time. You can also use it with M lenses, BUT, those will shoot wide open only...
One isn't restricted to "wide open" on M42 lenses. The camera just will do nothing to help you stop down. You have to put the lens in "manual" and select the desired aperture using the aperture ring (perhaps focusing at a larger aperture first), then meter, and shoot.

This should be in a FAQ...
02-05-2009, 10:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Sorry if my wording was a bit confusing, I meant that with M and K lenses,( in other words.. fully manual K-Mount lenses ) the lens will always be wide open in AV mode, but not with M42 lenses. They stop down to whatever aperture you select.
02-07-2009, 12:24 AM   #15
Rob

QuoteOriginally posted by rpriedhorsky Quote
>snip< select the desired aperture using the aperture ring (perhaps focusing at a larger aperture first), then meter, and shoot.
I have the Vivitar M42 on my camera right now. I use the lens A/M slide on A during focusing when stopped down. Otherwise it is too dark to focus. Then I switch to M, meter and shoot.

Unrelated to this discussion: I get a good exposure when the meter says +2.0
OR if I use AV mode and set the exposure compensation to +2.0.

2/8/2009 10:33 PST - the metering problem seems to be a combination of messed up setting of white balance and contrast. I'm working on it!

Last edited by Rob; 02-08-2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: add comment