Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D not so clean

Today I am without my K20D
Since i have had it I have had a small spot on the sensor which i have found very easily removed PP, it was only noticeable when I took pictures of a bright sky and it was like a little blurry banana. I had been meaning to take it back for ages but just couldnt think of being without it for too long.
THEN DAY BEFORE YESTERDAY I FOUND I HAD A SPECK OF DUST AS I WAS LOOKING THROUGH MY VIEWFINDER (oops caps) soooo... thinking i was a clever bugger decided to clean my focusing screen, looked on the net how to remove it and yey, pulled it out "that was easy" cleaned it and put it back in "what was all the fuss about"
looked through the view finder eeeeeeeekkkkkkk what the....... it was even worse LOL
not only one speck but many specs and uuummm fluff and uuummm hair, I know i shoudnt laugh but im sitting here writing this cracking up at what a silly sod I was because i not only pulled it back out once to try again but twice
Took it to camera electronics in perth where eventually the tech comes down from upstairs with my camera with a "i know what you been up too look on his face" I could do nothing but be honest, which he took lightheartedly, made a few jokes and between us decided not only would he clean the sensor, but would also order a new focusing screen to replace the scratched one.
Moral of the story "if you ever need a clean, get it done professionally"

02-04-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Seven hail mary's and ten "i love my techy" for you on the way out Taff.
02-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whats the damage for the screen and clean bill.BTW you getting the same screen or a LL-80??

cheers
02-05-2009, 12:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks malley boy
and whats the ll80 screen cupic, now i have to google

02-05-2009, 12:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter

what the heck did you use to clean the focusing screen? steel wool? :P
02-05-2009, 01:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
lens tissue
02-05-2009, 01:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Did much the same thing, took my screen out to put in a chinese split job, hated it as it blacked out much too easily so put the original back to see loads of dust and small hairs.
Took it out, gave a rub over with cloth and put it back to see it was 10 times worse and had a large thumbprint on it.
No matter how hard I rubbed after that the print wouldnt come off and I proceeded to get scratches on it as well.

In the end I got a new screen .. it was like night and day after putting up with the old one for months.
02-05-2009, 01:19 AM   #8
Forum Member

Ah yeah - anything touching a focussing screen at all will cause massive damage. Most should be cleanable with a blower, and large particles a camel's hair brush. If you get a fingerprint on it, it's all over!

You should take this opportunity to look into a nice split prism screen, though, since you need a new screen anyways.

02-05-2009, 01:55 AM   #9
Site Supporter

touch the focussing screen for massive damage!

also, isnt the focussing screen just a piece of plastic? i assume it holds a static charge a bit too easily.... ill have to remember that - if i ever want to swap focussing screen, wear surgical gloves!
02-05-2009, 03:51 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
touch the focussing screen for massive damage!

also, isnt the focussing screen just a piece of plastic? i assume it holds a static charge a bit too easily.... ill have to remember that - if i ever want to swap focussing screen, wear surgical gloves!
I've been cleaning my focusing screens for years with no trouble.

Use a Q tip and spray a bit of alcohol on it than wait for the alcohol to dry on the tip a bit. Then gently wipe down both the mirror and the exposed side of screen with the slightly damp Q tip.

I never had an special problems.
02-15-2009, 08:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i still dont have my K20D back and am missing it terribly