Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2009, 05:10 AM   #1
Forum Member

K20D Katz Eye & Autofocus

Hi,

I fear I may be going over trodden ground, but I would like to get some honest opinions. I have a K20D with lots of manual glass with a Katz eye screen (not optibrite). However, I wouldn't mind maybe going over to the dark side by getting a really decent fast autofocus lens in the future.

So the question is - with keeping the Katz eye and using it with say a DA*16-50 or similar, will i get any problems with exposure etc that have been documented? Is it only when you have a high aperture that this happens?

Any comments would be great! If you feel inclined to point me to another thread, feel free...

Markos

02-05-2009, 05:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello Markos

I don't have a K20d but have two K10D's both with a Katz's eye focsuing screen, both with optibrite as well. As you can see from my sig I have all AF glass and I have not expereinced any diffiulties. I would suspect the K20D would be the same.
02-05-2009, 05:42 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Brilliant. I was fairly sure but just wanted to check before spent the big bucks!

Cheers
02-05-2009, 05:59 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by markos Quote
Brilliant. I was fairly sure but just wanted to check before spent the big bucks!

Cheers
Anyone tested those ones?

Focusing Screen

Prices are under Katz...

02-05-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The Katz-Eye screens can have an effect on spot metering since the exposure spot is on the split image.
Other than that, no, it shouldn't cause any problems.
02-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Here are my thoughts on the Katzeye with AF and MF: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/46978-my-k20d-katz...-pictures.html
02-05-2009, 11:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K20D Katz Eye & Autofocus
QuoteQuote:
Hi,

I fear I may be going over trodden ground, but I would like to get some honest opinions. I have a K20D with lots of manual glass with a Katz eye screen (not optibrite). However, I wouldn't mind maybe going over to the dark side by getting a really decent fast autofocus lens in the future.

So the question is - with keeping the Katz eye and using it with say a DA*16-50 or similar, will i get any problems with exposure etc that have been documented? Is it only when you have a high aperture that this happens?

Any comments would be great! If you feel inclined to point me to another thread, feel free...

Markos
I used a Katzeye, with optibrite, on my K20d. I have no negative issues to report concerning metering. As Wheatfield has said, only Spot Metering is a concern with this screen, a point Katzeye makes clear at its site. I did not notice anything obviously amuck when using Spot Metering with my Katzeye. Best of Luck!
02-05-2009, 11:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:

Focusing Screen
Yes, this is a question to which I also await an answer.

02-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I have had one for 10 months and love it. No problems
02-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
taxdude
I have had one for 10 months and love it. No problems
Thank you, very much--I appreciate the feedback!
05-09-2009, 02:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by markos Quote
I have bought Katz Eye with Opti Bright treatment a few weeks ago. Did some testing with K20D and all my lenses: DA 16-45mm f/4, FA 80-320 f/4.5-4.6, FA 43mm f/1.9, FA 77mm f/1.8. I was swapping standard and Katz Eye screens (it's very eazy operation) and took pictures of the same scene.

Matrix and center weighted metering is the same as with standard focussing screen for all lenses.

Spot metering was OK with my fast limited primes and way off (2.5 stops towards overexposure) with my zoom lenses. Unfortunately I don't know what is going to be behaviour of spot metering with F/2.8 lens but Center weighted and matrix metering will definitely be OK.
05-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by myllis Quote

Focusing Screen

Prices are under Katz...
I just got the FSL 45 degree angled split screen for my K20D from www.focusingscreen.com a week back and what a difference it makes to the screen. No issues whatsoever.

approximately USD$60.00
05-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The Katz-Eye screens can have an effect on spot metering since the exposure spot is on the split image.
Other than that, no, it shouldn't cause any problems.
Just wondering, would'nt the split image also affect auto focusing using the centre point method?
05-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Just wondering, would'nt the split image also affect auto focusing using the centre point method?
No, the AF module is in the bottom of the mirror box. AF does not pass through the screen.