Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #1

First DSLR.

Hello,

I am looking for my first DSLR. I currently shoot film with my Pentax ES and Pentax K1000.
I am now in the market for a DSLR. I am obtaining a degree in Architecture and need to take a digital photography class and also just want to get into the all around digital world.

I was first alerted to the K20D when it was released and told myself when I needed to buy a DSLR, thats what is was going to be. Now I am down to the decision and am caught between the K10D, K200D and the K20D.

I am afraid the K20D will be TOO much camera for me, but also fear the lesser models may be outgrown. Should I just spring full throttle and grab a K20D?

Thanks!

02-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

get the k20d

at the prices there selling for right now, its like robbing a bank and getting away with it.

the sensor ("film") is simply better, and the camera has all the features necessary for you to carry out your work for many years to come.

you may also wait a little, till end of feb and or march, pentax MAY announce something new.
02-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Between those three? K20D easy. If you're just looking for something to get your feet wet, you might look at a used K100DSuper to start and upgrade to the K20D body after you're comfortable with the digital workflow. (Yes, it's only 6mp, but that's plenty big enough for 8x10 without stretching, and if you're doing interior architecture shots it's low light performance with the right lens is pretty darn good)
02-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, a simple choice here.
K20D won't disappoint.
If you have the funds but don't know whether the K20D's overkill or not for you, still go out and get it. What you can do with it will impress you for many years to come...

Then you've got to think about those ultra-wide lenses to go with it...

02-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Go for it, you will not be disappointed in the K20D. There are some good buys at The Photographer's Marketplace. (~ :
02-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #6

Original Poster
I just went to my local Ritz just to scope things out. No K20's but did have the K10D. Of course the guy behind the counter was Nikon baised. He basically pushed me away from the K20D.

As I said, I have zero experience in Digital SLRs. The reason I was drawn to the pentax was A. I have only owned pentax film SLR and B. I can use my 10 lenses Ive got.

I am looking to stay around $8-1000 for a DSLR. He recommends the Nikon D90, which body alone costs that. I don't have the cash to invest $2000 into a kit.

He raved about Nikons AF indoors and said pentax was subpar at best when it came to the AF. I am not looking to go around shooting kids playing on the carpet (as he said it was great for).

I take landscape photos, I am addicted to my macro for nature shots, I take architectural photos. I do own a small online business and would need the camera to take nice indoor photos of my products (vintage items such as suitcases).

Is the K20D still a good choice for me?
02-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

As long as you don't need lightning fast Auto focus, or $4000 telephoto lenses, or want to shoot super fast action sports, the K20D ( or K10D and K200D, and K100D ) will be PLENTY good for what you want to do. Check the "post your photos" section of the forum, and you'll see....
02-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 76white02 Quote
I just went to my local Ritz just to scope things out. No K20's but did have the K10D. Of course the guy behind the counter was Nikon baised. He basically pushed me away from the K20D.

As I said, I have zero experience in Digital SLRs. The reason I was drawn to the pentax was A. I have only owned pentax film SLR and B. I can use my 10 lenses Ive got.

I am looking to stay around $8-1000 for a DSLR. He recommends the Nikon D90, which body alone costs that. I don't have the cash to invest $2000 into a kit.

He raved about Nikons AF indoors and said pentax was subpar at best when it came to the AF. I am not looking to go around shooting kids playing on the carpet (as he said it was great for).

I take landscape photos, I am addicted to my macro for nature shots, I take architectural photos. I do own a small online business and would need the camera to take nice indoor photos of my products (vintage items such as suitcases).

Guy sounds like he really knows what he's talking about

As far as I've seen, the biggest reason the Nikons are faster is because the AF drive motor is in the lens, while it's found in the body on the Pentax, but... Pentax lenses with a built in drive focus faster and are about the same price as similar Nikon lenses(did he also mention that Nikon has just increased the prices on all thier lenses?)

Not sayin anything, for or against Nikon here, just that your salesman seems a little biased and uneducated.

I would go with the K20 if it suits your budget, just recently got the 200 and find that it would be nice to have a little easier access to certain settings. Seems to be a no brainer to me... you already have a collection of glass.

02-05-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Absolutely yes. Everything you've listed the K20D will perform excellently. Even in low light, I've found the Pentax AF just fine for my needs. Nikon, Canon, etc. all make nice dSLRs, but Pentax just gives more bang for the buck. And that's not even considering all the old glass you already have.

Get the K20D and have a ball!
02-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #10

This question is no question at all. K20D. You already have Pentax glass. You are doing scenes.

That camera sales guy should be choked with a Nikon camera strap.
02-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
Ole
Administrator

Another plus for Pentax: The built in shake reduction in all of the Pentax'es will work with your old lenses! Whereas the other brand doesn't have shake reduction in the camera body but only in select and expensive lenses.
02-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

*face-palm*

Never ask SALESpeople for advice. There is a reason why things like the Consumer Report magazine exist. Of course, K20D is still a good choice.

EDIT: Here in Canada, "Future Shop" is notorious for the obnoxious leeches that work there--avoid stores where the salespeople make a commission. They will definitely hound you and try to sell you any junk, as long as it's the more expensive choice.

EDIT2: To improve AF in low light, you can buy the relatively inexpensive AF360FGZ flash unit. It comes with an AF assist beam and you can put it in SB mode so that it doesn't fire its flash.

Last edited by asdf; 02-05-2009 at 08:34 PM.
02-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

surprised no one has asked what your 10 lenses consist of?
02-05-2009, 11:27 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
surprised no one has asked what your 10 lenses consist of?
Heh! I was just thinking the same. If they're any good, go with Nikon, I'll sponsor by taking the lenses off your hands!

No, seriously, If you feel comfy with the K10D (not too much camera) then go for the K20! Landscape, architecture, macro? You'll have enough camera for a _very_ nice growth path, AND you get to P!@# off a sales guy

Last edited by fishy; 02-05-2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Oops, typo.
02-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #15

Original Poster
this is what I can remember for the glass that I've got.

Auto Promaster Zoom f=80-200mm (M42)
Quantaray 1:63 f-400mm (M42)
Albinar 80-200mm macro zoom (K-mount)
Super-Macro-Takumar 1:4/50 (M42)
SMC Pentax 1:2 50mm (K-Mount)
SMC Takumar 1:1.8/55 (M42)
A 3x-teleconveter (M42)

I think there are a few other odds-n-ends in there somewhere.

I was in Grand Rapids MI this weekend and stopped into a shop called Normans. They were real nice there and basically said if I had nice glass stick with the Pentax but they would suggest the Nikon D90 for reasons such as the shake reduction is in the lens rather the body and they said glass is better for nikons than Pentax. The guy also said the Nikon is better espcially if my lenses were manual because he hates shooting in manual with a DSLR. In the end they said the K20D is by no means a bad camera, just the Nikon D90 is highly recommended.

I just dont have $3000 to invest into starting off with a Nikon D90. The kit with lens is something like $1100 then I would need atleast an addition $1000-1500 to pick up a few lenses.

I think I have made up my mind and am going the K20D direction. Amazon has a pretty good deal for the kit at $865. I see on ebay they have some kits that come with like 2 lenses and a bunch of other stuff for the same price. (Pentax K20D 14MP SLR Digital Cam K20 2 LENS 8GB KIT NEW - eBay (item 230323871455 end time Mar-07-09 10:31:58 PST)) Are these trustworthy?

Last edited by 76white02; 02-09-2009 at 05:23 PM.