Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K200d, Low Light, & the Barndoor

I decided to try and build a cheap barndoor (scotch mount) to track stars. The inspiration was a picture I saw where the stars in the background should have been trailing, but weren't. So I started looking around and found some plans and slapped one together in about 45 minutes. It works quite well - Here's a picture of it:

It's fairly easy to build and doesn't cost much. The rifle scope I put on it cost around $20 and was more than the wood, screws and glue that made up the entire mount. You don't really need the rifle scope depending on the lens you use. The higher the mm the more acurate your alignment with Polaris (north star) has to be.

This was my first shot with a FA50 1.4 shot at 2.8, ISO 800, 2 minutes. It's of Orion and I had a little light pollution in the bottom right corner:

Here's my second shot with an older 135mm Vivitar lens shot at 5.6, 5 minutes, ISO 100. This is suppose to be the focal limit of the mount (around 200mm equiv.) I cranked it by hand and the results were good for how it was shot - though they could be better. There was a little trailing, but not bad for 5 minutes turning it by hand.:

I just wanted to post a thread about picture taking and not a lot of complaining about ________. There's so many aspects to photography that you could never get bored - I just wanted to share something new that I ran across (it's a lot cheaper than LBA).