Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2009, 02:41 AM   #46

I have only two complaints about mine:

1) when on auto it tends to go diving for ISO 3200 in scenes that my K10D would have used 400 or lower.
2) far more seriously, I only got it a few days ago and haven't had a chance to play with it much yet.

Love it.

02-08-2009, 03:26 AM   #47
Inactive Account

I love my K20D, it suites my needs perfectly. I got the battery grip soon after I got the camera and it absolutly transforms it to a whole new level.

Here are some of my results, if you havent already seen them.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/50322-australian-beach-shoot.html
proud father I am

John
02-08-2009, 06:22 AM   #48
Inactive Account

I gave up my nikon d300 for the pentax k20d and i love this camera. When is it going to get recognized as a real professional dslr. Here are some shots with it i took now im not a pro but i try lol.
Attached Images

02-08-2009, 07:52 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's not to like?

02-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote
Hello!

Lately I have been looking a lot of people complain about their k20d.
Main problems seams to be sharpness, focus, black frame (blackout) and any more smaller problems.
Well, you must respect that those affected by some of these problems are not small problems at all.

I am not affected by the vertical line problem but I would never-ever label it as a 'small' problem. In fact, it is very serious! And what if... this problem is inherent in all our K20D cameras but just hasn't shown itself yet. I believe we should all consider this a serious problem. This is especially concerning because of the uncaring way Pentax is handling this.

What is immediately affecting me is the forced DFS (Dark Frame Subtraction) issue. Yes! This is a serious problem! No other digital SLR is like this, so why the K20D. I do take a lot of night-time photos of over 10 seconds. The K20D is utterly useless until this problem is corrected.

I definitely could never recommend the K20D to anyone who takes long exposures.

I understand that you want to feel good about your purchase (we all do) and you want others to know how 'great' the K20D is but let's not gloss over the problems and let's not allow Pentax to ignore the problems or get away with treating its *valuable* customers as though we are not important.

All the photos posted here are nice (many are spectacular) but just about any camera (with a good lens) could have been used to capture those photos.

Last edited by pentaxmz; 02-08-2009 at 01:05 PM.
02-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote

All the photos posted here are nice (many are spectacular) but just about any camera (with a good lens) could have been used to capture those photos.
Absolutely true, but isn't that the point? Anything that removes ammunition from the CanoNikoSonylmpus fanboys is valuable. It's difficult to look down your nose your nose at something which is demonstrably as capable as whatever it is you are using.
02-08-2009, 04:42 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vormulac Quote
Absolutely true, but isn't that the point? Anything that removes ammunition from the CanoNikoSonylmpus fanboys is valuable. It's difficult to look down your nose your nose at something which is demonstrably as capable as whatever it is you are using.
How do CanoNikoSonylmpus fanboys differ from Pentax fanboys? You cannot truly 'remove ammunition' (whether real or not) from any fanboy. There is a certain amount of dogmatic belief that fanboys will hold fast to regardless of the evidence. Cameras are highly subjective.... As a side note: Fortunately lenses are not so subjective when it come to quality measurement. :-)

Anyhow, it's really all the same silly school boy (or girl) nonsense to me; and not a whole lot of difference between the Atari vs C64 vs Coco vs Apple vs next flavor of the month computer back when I was a teenager (does this date me? ). I didn't participate then and I'm not going try not to get into any moot squabble now.

Seriously, each class, make, and model of camera has its merits and faults. I will even state that the newest Canon 50D has a few disadvantages when compared to the older Pentax K20D! Perhaps I have more insight than the average photographer because I have access to and/or use many different cameras?

The only reason why I bothered to comment in this thread was to remind everyone not to become blinded by the problems with the K20D. And it's not about perfection because no camera is perfect. Rather it is about fundamental problems (or potential future problems).
02-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #53
Veteran Member

And about my own DFS situation.....

For those who don't know me.... and for fear that some of you might think I am just a little whiny weasel (be nice!), please allow me to briefly explain the root of my DFS issue with Pentax.

First, had I known that DFS could not be turned off *before* I purchased the K20D, I would have sold all my PK lenses and switched to Canon. That is how seriously limiting the K20D is to my for about 1/3 of its current purpose.

Try to emphasize with my situation where your employer needs you to take 30 second to 2 minute exposures (sometimes longer time) in immediate secession. That is when I discovered that I CANNOT because my K20D needs equal the time to do a DFS for EACH photo.

My employer thought that was odd as well! His first reaction was to think that I might not completely understand how to operate my own camera! Needless to say, this was a VERY embarrassing moment for me! I was 'saved' by the fact that I was able to borrow a Canon 50D for these photo sessions.

So, I now borrowing a Canon to do the work that my Pentax should have been able to do.

Do I have a legitimate complaint with Pentax?

02-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A couple of my favourites-

02-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #55
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Very happy K20D owner

I bought my K20D in March 2008 to replace my five years old *istD. I am totally happy with K20D after 4000 shots taken over 10 months I have it. Never had any problem with it or anything to complain about. It is a great camera.

Efraim
Vancouver, Canada
K20D, *istD, Z1-p, SF-1n, K1000

DA*16-50/2.8, FA50/1.4 (sold), DA16-45 (for sale), Tamron 28-70/2.8 (sold), Tamron 70-300 Macro 1:2 (sold), Kiron 105/2.8 Macro 1:1, Pentax K 55/1.8
Web: pentaxist's photos- powered by SmugMug

Last edited by TTQ225; 02-08-2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: adding photo
02-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Okay sorry....

I really went off-topic for this thread and I do apologize to the original poster.

Other then my one major issue, I do try to keep in mind the nice features of this camera.

Such as:
- Build and handling are first rate. I love how it feels in my hands.
- Pentax did a superior job in ensuring every lens since the first PK lens was manufactured will work on every Pentax camera. With an adaptor, even the old screw mount lenses will work. This means that old lenses (worth thousands) can be had for 1/10 their original price. And a well maintained superior lens will remain superior forever (almost).

Overall it is a good camera (at a relatively good price) worthy of respect.
02-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #57
Veteran Member

First, had I known that DFS could not be turned off *before* I purchased the K20D, I would have sold all my PK lenses and switched to Canon. That is how seriously limiting the K20D is to my for about 1/3 of its current purpose.

snip

Maybe, maybe not. You are certainly not a typical user and have one very specific need. If is Pentax's fault that you didn't do research into this issue before you purchased? And presumably since it is a mission-critical aspect for you, you could have returned the camera after discovering this, no?

If Pentax misled you with stated specifications then you have a legitimate complaint with them. If it doesn't do something that you need then you need to find another camera (which you have). It is very simple.
02-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #58

How do CanoNikoSonylmpus fanboys differ from Pentax fanboys? .
They don't, clearly it's the difference between specifying 'fanboy' over saying 'user' or 'owner'. My comment was not aimed at those users of other systems who are objective enough to accept that the capabilities of alternative systems are similar to the one to which they subscribe; it was aimed at those who, as I said, look down their noses at the alternative because of some misguided sense of superiority - that becomes harder to do when parity with the alternative is made readily apparent.

I'm not suggesting the K20D is perfect, nothing is, and the noise reduction cycle is a bizarre one to be sure, but it doesn't effect most of the shots I take, so I don't count it as a disappointment... yet.
02-08-2009, 05:21 PM   #59
Veteran Member

towards the point of the OP, I can count myself as a happy user. The best part of the K20d is that I get to use 31/43/77 ltd lenses. Worth the price of admission. As for the body itself, it has the best UI of any body imho - the buttons are the right size and in the right places. It isn't perfect, but is the best compromise. Size is about right - much smaller and it would be harder to hold (for my hands).

I can't complain about the IQ, though I have lusted after a900 files. But then I'd have to use a bigger body and a bigger/heavier lens. As it stands the K20d is a great mix of features and value. And it is different. It isn't Canikon.
02-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For those who don't know me.... and for fear that some of you might think I am just a little whiny weasel (be nice!), please allow me to briefly explain the root of my DFS issue with Pentax.

Try to emphasize with my situation where your employer needs you to take 30 second to 2 minute exposures (sometimes longer time) in immediate secession. That is when I discovered that I CANNOT because my K20D needs equal the time to do a DFS for EACH photo.

My employer thought that was odd as well! His first reaction was to think that I might not completely understand how to operate my own camera! Needless to say, this was a VERY embarrassing moment for me! I was 'saved' by the fact that I was able to borrow a Canon 50D for these photo sessions.

So, I now borrowing a Canon to do the work that my Pentax should have been able to do.

2 things.
Firstly. this thread is about ''HAPPY'' K20D owners. You are obviously not happy, so please start your own thread and complain all you want.
secondly, Sell your K20D and all your pentax stuff and buy a 50D or what ever you want. Why should u subject yourself to all the embarrassing moments.