Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K20D with BG running in parallel with DA*50-135 set on AF.C = 4.2 to 4.4 fps....

02-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Maybe, maybe not. You are certainly not a typical user and have one very specific need. If is Pentax's fault that you didn't do research into this issue before you purchased? And presumably since it is a mission-critical aspect for you, you could have returned the camera after discovering this, no?

If Pentax misled you with stated specifications then you have a legitimate complaint with them. If it doesn't do something that you need then you need to find another camera (which you have). It is very simple.
When I purchased the K20D, there was no information about the forced DFS. I would dare say that it was absurd to even consider forced DFS in a purchase decision; it is just that uncommon!

I think most people in this forum would agree that this is truly an odd requirement. I had no reason to believe (at time of purchase) that the DFS was NOT optional (remember: the K20D is the *ONLY* digital SLR that forces DFS after every greater than 8 second exposure).

It may not be a problem for you but please respect that this is a major issue for many other owners.

Non-typical use? There are many examples of photography where a typical photographer may wish to open the shutter for more than 8 seconds.... such as lightning photography, stars, other night-time exposures, city streets (capturing vehicle lights as streaks), etc.... start doing that type of photographer and I wonder how long it will be before you begin cursing the DFS requirement!

Bottom line, forced DFS is either a mistake in the firmware OR Pentax is covering up some serious CMOS noise issue. Which one is it and if it is the later, I would like an ETA when a firmware upgrade will become available. I have written Pentax three times (in about six months) and never once received a reply.
02-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cover-up. Cue the tinfoil. Whatever. Still non-typical. I would guess that far less than 1% of owners will do any number of exposures over 1 second let alone 8. But enjoy your Canon...
02-08-2009, 08:11 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Why, in a thread entitled Happy K20d Users Post Here, do we have in depth discussion catering to one dissident's intransigent rambling.

Can someone explain this to me?

02-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Whats DFS ??
Oh by the way I LOVE MY K20D>>>>>>

I even took it to the Beach to play in the Sand It had a wonderful day.

Click to Enlarge

Last edited by Fl_Gulfer; 02-08-2009 at 08:39 PM.
02-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
one dissident's intransigent rambling.

Because we're obdurate?
02-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Well, I don't think I've ever posted a complaint with my K20D. Still, I'll add to the count of happy K20D users. I haven't found anything to complain about here. I enjoyed my K100D and especially the high ISO of the 6mp sensor, but when the K10D dropped in price, I jumped on it. I really liked the better controls and the dual wheels. However, I missed the higher ISO capability of the K100D, so when the K20D came out, I got one and haven't looked back.

It handles just like the K10D (which is a good thing) and the high ISO capability is even better than the K100D, so I'm loving it!

02-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #68
Veteran Member

The author of this thread did invite comments (or questions) about issues. I simply pointed out that some issues are not as minor as the author believed, and I then explained my experience.

This thread did not need to digress into mud slinging and personal attacks against me. My gosh, some of you need to learn something about respect. I am very disappointed with what was written by a few members of this public forum.

It is not just this thread, rather, it seems that any negative views about the K20D are often met with negatively. I've seen a similar assault against individuals who have complained about the vertical lines issue.

If some of you folks are so concerned about the reputation about the Pentax K20D, perhaps you should also consider the importance of treating all members of this forum respectfully. What message are you sending to potential K20D owners about this small community (that we are ALL part of) when hurl personal attacks?

Please, don't tell me to go buy a Canon or any other type of camera, or diminish the importance of my complaint. My gosh, it's not like I am complaining about a minor issue like the 'painted on' camera labels.

Never once have I insulted a member of this forum.... Is it too much to expect the same from everyone else?

Last edited by pentaxmz; 02-08-2009 at 10:57 PM.
02-08-2009, 10:58 PM   #69
Veteran Member

I agree disrespect should not be tolerated anywhere at this forum. And surely we are all entitled to our beliefs. I am just surprised so much negative attention is being highlighted in a thread so positively entitled.

I also believe criticism of the camera has its place in the forum. I just think that selecting this thread, where nearly everyone is celebrating their joy for the K20d, to bewail one feature of the camera is misplaced. There has never been a thing made which was exempt from criticism, including us. But there are appropriate times and places to vent too.

Not in any way meant to be disrespectful, but I agree with another forum member's suggestion that starting a separate thread seems applicable here.
02-08-2009, 11:24 PM   #70
Veteran Member

"Assault"? Surely you jest...

I merely pointed out that your issue affects a very small percentage of users (imho). You then move on to language such as "covering up". I find the drama to be rather thick. And I didn't tell you to buy a Canon - I said to enjoy the Canon that you had (borrowed?).

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I couldn't care less about what anyone thinks about my camera or anything else I own/use. But I do believe in calling a spade a shovel. Pixel peepers annoy me as do those who bring unrealistic expectations to fuel various rants. While I understand your problem with the camera I still don't think it affects a significant number of users, and certainly doesn't belong in this thread. But ymmv.
02-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
The author of this thread did invite comments (or questions) about issues. I simply pointed out that some issues are not as minor as the author believed, and I then explained my experience.

This thread did not need to digress into mud slinging and personal attacks against me. My gosh, some of you need to learn something about respect. I am very disappointed with what was written by a few members of this public forum.

It is not just this thread, rather, it seems that any negative views about the K20D are often met with negatively. I've seen a similar assault against individuals who have complained about the vertical lines issue.

If some of you folks are so concerned about the reputation about the Pentax K20D, perhaps you should also consider the importance of treating all members of this forum respectfully. What message are you sending to potential K20D owners about this small community (that we are ALL part of) when hurl personal attacks?

Please, don't tell me to go buy a Canon or any other type of camera, or diminish the importance of my complaint. My gosh, it's not like I am complaining about a minor issue like the 'painted on' camera labels.

Never once have I insulted a member of this forum.... Is it too much to expect the same from everyone else?
Oh, good grief, break out the violin ...Lets take a look at context of the op that is titled ''Happy K20D users post here!!

QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote

Please feel free to share your (this time) good news

Best Regards

Emil

PS:
(I don't mean that you can't post a question about your k20d if you have a problem. This forum is created for solve problems!! I only want us to post good things as well, so we and visitors not only look the bad side of it all)

Last edited by jgredline; 02-09-2009 at 12:01 AM.
02-09-2009, 12:34 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Why, in a thread entitled Happy K20d Users Post Here, do we have in depth discussion catering to one dissident's intransigent rambling.

I guess there will always be people who want to spoil the party and make a mountain out of a molehill.
02-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #73
Igilligan

Wow, I had no clue...

I guess I did not read the entire OP... I did not know it was only 'happy' thoughts allowed.

I apologize for my less than completely glowing words and hope I offended no one.
02-09-2009, 02:26 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello Everyone! Good Work!

Goodmorning folks! How are you doing?

After being out the whole weekend I was return to the work today and I was glad read so many happy k20d users.

The pictures was awsome!! Thank you everyone.
This is the kind of things that brings new people and young blood to pentax

Saw as well the negative speak here in the thread (witch was a little sadly, telling people to let this be a happy thread and positive k20d posts).
Anyway I find the best solotion to let it go, ok?

Please people send in more of your great photos. I enjoy very much looking them and I see that many members have respond the same positive way! Great!

Today I add me to the list. I got my k20d in friday and I have play around every single minute this weekend.
The camera does'nt make the photographer, but k20d is a awsome camera, and I bring it with me everywhere (today at my work at the office for example )

One question: Since the first time i put the batterygrip on, I have never removed it. I really like the fit. I will never take it away!! (almost thinking about put them together forever with super-glue ) Is this a good idea??
Anyone here that always wear the grip?

Pictures will come!

First thought about the k20d. I was suprised how well the ISO are at very high levels if you exposure well. One ISO 1600 picture of my cat looks like a ISO 50 velvia almost....im stunned

Keep on sharing!

Best regards and good luck

Emil Gustafsson
02-09-2009, 02:32 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote
First thought about the k20d. I was suprised how well the ISO are at very high levels if you exposure well. One ISO 1600 picture of my cat looks like a ISO 50 velvia almost....im stunned

Yeah, it's really amazing how good modern cameras are at high ISOs. It's ridiculous how nowadays people pixel peep ISO 6400 and whine about camera X looking slightly better when what they all fail to notice is that ISO 1600 on ANY modern camera looks better than 400 colour film, and people had no problems taking decent photographs on film for a century or two...