Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2009, 02:42 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Yeah, it's really amazing how good modern cameras are at high ISOs. It's ridiculous how nowadays people pixel peep ISO 6400 and whine about camera X looking slightly better when what they all fail to notice is that ISO 1600 on ANY modern camera looks better than 400 colour film, and people had no problems taking decent photographs on film for a century or two...
This is an awsome post!....you are very very right!

02-09-2009, 03:34 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
For those who don't know me.... and for fear that some of you might think I am just a little whiny weasel (be nice!), please allow me to briefly explain the root of my DFS issue with Pentax.

First, had I known that DFS could not be turned off *before* I purchased the K20D, I would have sold all my PK lenses and switched to Canon. That is how seriously limiting the K20D is to my for about 1/3 of its current purpose.

Try to emphasize with my situation where your employer needs you to take 30 second to 2 minute exposures (sometimes longer time) in immediate secession. That is when I discovered that I CANNOT because my K20D needs equal the time to do a DFS for EACH photo.

My employer thought that was odd as well! His first reaction was to think that I might not completely understand how to operate my own camera! Needless to say, this was a VERY embarrassing moment for me! I was 'saved' by the fact that I was able to borrow a Canon 50D for these photo sessions.

So, I now borrowing a Canon to do the work that my Pentax should have been able to do.

Do I have a legitimate complaint with Pentax?
I can understand your complaint. But honestly: how many photogs are there, that have such a need for long time expsoures in quick succession? I don't know, but the number is surely insignificant. Yes, I would like to have that an option which could be switched on and off, but it is one of my least complaints. If you need that, you could simply add a cheap K10 to your equipment and would be done, though the high ISO performance beyond ISO 640 is not as good as the K20's.

At the end of the day: this might be a decisive buying point for you and your special applications, but there will always be niche applications which cannot be fullfilled with a certain specific camera for individual reasons, whether it is a Pentax, a Nikon, OLympus or Canon...

Ben
02-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #78

Photos: Gallery
Hi everyone... this is my first post on the pentaxforums, so hell

I've had my K20d for around 2 weeks now and it's my first DSLR. I did a lot of research and the two main things that swung me in favour of going Pentax was the weather sealing and the crispness of the images straight from the camera. Sure, other brands don't show as much noise, but that's because they have noise reduction switched on as the facotry default. Pentax have this switched off with the option to have it on.

For me, the Pentax is really nice to hold, it's easy to find your way round... it just feels right. In the UK, it can be had for around the same price as the Canon 450d. That feels like a toy camera compared to the K20!!!

Anyway, whatever, it's all about taking pictures and the K20d is very good at that. I'm enjoying mine and haven't even touched the surface yet.

Here's a couple of shots i've taken with my new toy

02-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Happy User of K20D!

Cheers,

02-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Excellent camera!

Last edited by ivoire; 10-04-2010 at 03:58 PM.
02-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #81

This is also my first DSLR. Can't compare with any other camera in terms of IQ, however, nothing is better when comes to control and ease-of-use, IMHO, having checked out 40D, D200 and A700 in store(s). And the DA-limited series lenses are practically in the range of 2nd-tier Canon/Nikon/Sony offerings!

A few, mundane shots here from the first (somewhat) sunny day out shooting. I don't have the eye for interesting subjects, unfortunately, nor do I seem to have a clue how to frame one ..

Last edited by wasim_altaf; 03-16-2009 at 09:12 AM.
02-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Shot at f/2 with 77ltd + K20D - he was actually moving back & forth kinda fast,
but I got pretty good focus for f/2.

I kinda like my K20D.

02-10-2009, 01:34 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great photos everyone.

If anyone not have a k20d today they will surely get one soon after looking this results.

great job everyone!
02-10-2009, 02:15 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterMac Quote

Hey, isn't that the Forth Rail Bridge? Brings memories... lovely picture.
02-10-2009, 02:38 AM   #85

yep, forth bridge. i pass it every day on my way home from work. hopefully i'll be able to get a few shots with some red sky once the spring comes and the sun is more north when it rises...
02-10-2009, 02:44 AM   #86
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PeterMac Quote
yep, forth bridge. i pass it every day on my way home from work. hopefully i'll be able to get a few shots with some red sky once the spring comes and the sun is more north when it rises...
That could be a good idea, but the blue sky balance the red bringe very well, so this is a real winner indeed
02-10-2009, 03:16 AM   #87

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
(remember: the K20D is the *ONLY* digital SLR that forces DFS after every greater than 8 second exposure).
I don't want to drag all this up again, I just wanted to mention that I noticed this morning that my K20D will only enforce the noise reduction cycle on 20 and 30 second exposures, I can go up to 15 seconds without it kicking in. Unless it was bulb mode which was being discussed, I don't use that, so I wouldn't know.

By the way, nice pictures folks!
02-10-2009, 05:18 AM   #88
Forum Member

Just read this thread. I am a K20d owner after upgrading from k10d...and its the best. I also bought the 16-50mm Da* for its fast focusing, slick and sharp.

If you want to see some examples chk my flickr site:Flickr: NorrisTudor's Photostream

02-10-2009, 06:50 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NorrisTudor Quote
Just read this thread. I am a K20d owner after upgrading from k10d...and its the best. I also bought the 16-50mm Da* for its fast focusing, slick and sharp.

If you want to see some examples chk my flickr site:Flickr: NorrisTudor's Photostream

Good one! I like that picture very much
02-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vormulac Quote
I don't want to drag all this up again, I just wanted to mention that I noticed this morning that my K20D will only enforce the noise reduction cycle on 20 and 30 second exposures, I can go up to 15 seconds without it kicking in. Unless it was bulb mode which was being discussed, I don't use that, so I wouldn't know.

By the way, nice pictures folks!
Actually, you are mostly correct. DFS kicks in after any 20 second or greater exposure, outside of bulb mode. BUT in bulb mode, DFS essentially kicks in for every exposure (even 5 seconds).

I must have picked up the 8 seconds from another poster.