Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dfn Quote
When using a lens without an A mode on the K20D is there a way of entering the aperture setting manually so that the metering works and the setting is stored within taken photos? When I connect such a lens it immediately asks for the focal length but not the aperture and so I end up having to play with the shutter speed and/or the sensitivity to get the correct exposure. I've looked through the manual but can't find it.
Sounds like you're asking two separate questions: one, is there way to get the metering to work, and two, is there a way to get the aperture into the EXIF. The answer to the second question is no. But the answer to the first question is yes - see my previous reply. You can two options - either hit the Green button (in M mode) to get the camera to stop down momentarily and set a shutter speed for you, or do a DOF preview and look at the meter reading that appears fior as long as you hold the switch. The aperture changes - and hence the meter updates - as you turn the aperture ring.

02-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #32

Original Poster
K10d?

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Get the K20D. You WILL NOT regret it. . . . The two e-dials on the K20D allow me to control aperture and shutter speed quickly and intuitively. I seldom use my old *ist DS because it has just one edial. The K20D's hyperprogram (P) mode is brilliant - you can switch into effective Av or Tv mode by simply moving one or the other of the edials.

If you want to save money, see if you can get a new or used K10D.

Will
Thanks, for sharing your insights Will. Obviosuly I don't have the experience with digital cameras to know, but the dials seem like a good idea--more like a camera than a cell phone. Maybe the K10d is a good idea too; I see "like new" ones on e-bay for about $400.
02-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
based upon the posts of the OP, if he knows how to use a matched needle SLR or a Pentax Program camera, he can use anything pentax makes today.

The K200D has the same sensor as the K10D, the K20 has a higher resolution and better (low light) performing sensor.

All else being equal, try them both in a store, and take the one you like the best, but consider that if low light is a necessity go for the K20D especially if you have an SMC-A 50mm F1.2
02-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
based upon the posts of the OP, if he knows how to use a matched needle SLR or a Pentax Program camera, he can use anything pentax makes today.
Well I used these cameras for years, successfully. It wasn't fast with them; there's a lot of tinkering with settings and framing and re-framing the shot, and I am certainly not a professional, but I enjoyed using the cameras and I got good results, or results I was pleased with--some of the time. I can't stick with the film cameras because I need digitalized material today--and it just doesn't make sense anymore from a practical standpoint. I am not particularly happy with that fact, but that's the way it is.

The K200D has the same sensor as the K10D, the K20 has a higher resolution and better (low light) performing sensor.
In other words, there's no particular advantage to the K10d over the K200d while the K20d has some clear advantages over both?

All else being equal, try them both in a store, and take the one you like the best, but consider that if low light is a necessity go for the K20D especially if you have an SMC-A 50mm F1.2
Low light: sometimes I may NEED to take photographs of a narrow dark city street or a house that sits in deep shadows. Are you saying that the K200d isn't up to this?

Lenses: I see you have a Pentax-M 1:3.5 28 mm (pictured on your site). I guess that would be good for the photography I want to do.

02-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by LUKE Quote
In other words, there's no particular advantage to the K10d over the K200d while the K20d has some clear advantages over both?
I've been trying to fully wrap my head around that difference for a bit, and I get the impression the differences are somewhat subjective between the k10d and k200d. The biggest point seems to be the extra dial and the difference in batteries.

This thread may help, but it may give more questions than answers: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/47738-decision-tim...lp-please.html

The K20d, from my understanding, is better in just about every way but size and cost.
02-10-2009, 08:56 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Extra dial (and other external controls), batteries, and *viewfinder* - those are the big three differentiators between the Kx0 and Kx00 series.
02-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
I've been trying to fully wrap my head around that difference for a bit, and I get the impression the differences are somewhat subjective between the k10d and k200d. The biggest point seems to be the extra dial and the difference in batteries.

This thread may help, but it may give more questions than answers: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/47738-decision-tim...lp-please.html

The K20d, from my understanding, is better in just about every way but size and cost.
in terms of K10D vs K200D, I don't know enough about the K200 to comment fully but at the sensor level, it is correct. they are essentually the same.

I think the differences are, and someone please help on this if I am incorrect.

- view finder, K10D prisim, K200 Mirror
- controls layout dual wheel etc on the K10D
- wb adjust, I don;t know the K200 but on the K10D there is a great manual adjust feature, take a shot,. select Fn, and WB and then you see the last image in the buffer, as you make changes, they are imposed on that image. Not sure the K200 does this, clearly the K100 does not.
- different modes available on the K200.
02-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Well I used these cameras for years, successfully. It wasn't fast with them; there's a lot of tinkering with settings and framing and re-framing the shot, and I am certainly not a professional, but I enjoyed using the cameras and I got good results, or results I was pleased with--some of the time. I can't stick with the film cameras because I need digitalized material today--and it just doesn't make sense anymore from a practical standpoint. I am not particularly happy with that fact, but that's the way it is.
for this purpose any DSLR is OK
QuoteQuote:
in terms of absolute image performance and resolution that is correct, same sensor same image
QuoteQuote:

Low light: sometimes I may NEED to take photographs of a narrow dark city street or a house that sits in deep shadows. Are you saying that the K200d isn't up to this?
i still use my *istD at 3200 and prefer these images to my k10D at 1600
QuoteQuote:

Lenses: I see you have a Pentax-M 1:3.5 28 mm (pictured on your site). I guess that would be good for the photography I want to do.
If you are looking to do some low light, start thinking like 35mm F2 or 50mm F1.4, even with the K20 the faster lenses are a big benefit, not just in terms of higher shutter speed (if you want to use it) but in terms of a brighter view finder. This is especially true in low light / night photography

02-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #39
Pentaxian

In terms of IQ, sure. In terms of usability, the K10D and K20D are more alike and have advantages over the K200D (the second dial, extra buttons, etc).

QuoteQuote:
Oh, sure it is. But the noise levels might be somewhat higher. The general consensus is that noise on the K20D is about one stop better than on the K200D - ISO 1600 on the K20D is like ISO 800 on the K200D. In theory, the K10D noise should be like the K200D, since they share the same sensor, but most people seems to find the K10D worse. Maybe it's other internal differences (different analog-to-digital converter, for instance).

On the other hand, one thing people find annoying about the K20D is that it is the only Pentax camera that does not you turn off what they call "long shutter speed noise reduction" (aka "dark frame subtraction"), which involves taking a second exposure with the shutter closed right after the original, and using the resulting noise it to help the camera remove noise from the original shot. It works well on the cameras that provide it as an option, but it means a 10-second exposure actually takes 20 seconds: 10 for the real exposure, 10 for second "dark frame". Supposedly the results would be unusually be noisy on the K20D and that;s why the disabled the option to turn it off, but some people are bothered by this.

No matter whihc of these cameras you choose, noise is *way* more controlled than film at the same ISO. Even the K10D (the worst of the bunch) at ISO 1600 is as good as most ISO *400* film.
02-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #40
Pentaxian

- wb adjust, I don;t know the K200 but on the K10D there is a great manual adjust feature, take a shot,. select Fn, and WB and then you see the last image in the buffer, as you make changes, they are imposed on that image. Not sure the K200 does this, clearly the K100 does not.
The K200D does. It actually includes quite a bit of that kind of stuff form the K10D.