Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
removing viewfinder dust in Km

Anyone know how to removed a spec of dust from the viewfinder of a Km? It isn't on the sensor, as the pictures are clean. It isn't on the outside of the viewfinder, and it appears as though the eyecup isn't removable as it is in the K20d. Where might the bugger be and how can I get it out? I suppose the other culprit would be the focusing screen.

Last edited by nostatic; 02-07-2009 at 11:13 AM.
02-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very likely the focus screen - or on the back side of the viewfinder window itself (removing the eyecup wouldn't help get behind it). I'd try blowing the bottom of the focus screen, but if that didn't take care of it, it's probably on top, or on the backside of the viewfinder window, and either way, that means removing the screen. Usually more trouble to remove this than it's worth - far too many people end up ruining their focus screens over it, and still not getting their viewfinders completely clean - or find dust returning soon afterwards.
02-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I think its probably on the focusing screen too. I've got this eyelash looking thing on my screen as well. I have the Katz Eye screen and it wasn't hard to remove the old and install the new once i had the instructions.

the good news is that the Pentax dslrs have been made to facilitate screen replacement, i assume the Km is like the 10 and 20 in that regard.

I'm just going to leave my spec in place until i get enough specs that its starting to bug me :-)