Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2007, 11:24 AM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
The new Pentax 35mm should be a beauty, is it a 1.4 ?

wll
My fairly reliable "insider" information is no, it will probably be f2.0 and derived from the existing FA 35/f2.0, which was one of the last FA lenses designed by Pentax and is a fairly modern design (1999).

03-29-2007, 12:21 PM   #17

Thanks for the addresse , i still have to figure out how to order ?
03-29-2007, 12:21 PM   #18
Inactive Account

That is in line with the previous round of guessing. Now that we still guess it is the FA35/2 I wish we could have it with ultrasonic focusing and weather shielding. I wonder it the lens roadmap, where the lens is marked as "DA" with no star, is correct here?
03-29-2007, 12:24 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Is there anyone knowing what's new with the new version? I didn't see Sigma saying anything about this and the picture shows nothing but an updated look of the focusing scale. Am I missing something?

03-29-2007, 06:45 PM   #20

I use the 31mm f/1.8 for a "normal" lens. It's well built, focuses quickly, and manual focus is also well damped.

I like the out-of-focus areas (is that "bokeh?") because the 9 aperture blades make a creamy smooth effect.
03-30-2007, 02:49 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
That is in line with the previous round of guessing. Now that we still guess it is the FA35/2 I wish we could have it with ultrasonic focusing and weather shielding. I wonder it the lens roadmap, where the lens is marked as "DA" with no star, is correct here?
I shall try to find out more, but I suspect that my contact will only know a couple of days before it becomes generally known. The general rule is not to let your sales and marketing people know anything until the very last moment. That way people are prevented from selling vapourware and SWAN is preserved. (Sell What's Avaiable Now)

I think it may have SDM and QS, but not weather sealing.

On the other hand it may even be an f1.4, as they are trying to replicate the previous "classic" range, i.e. the DA 55/f1.4 is the APS-C version of the FA*85 f1.4, so the DA 35 could be the APS-C version of the FA 50/1.4. All bets are off until the fat lady (Pentax) sings!

But so far, the general concensus is that it will be an f2.0 lens.

Last edited by Richard Day; 03-30-2007 at 02:56 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
03-30-2007, 02:51 AM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by guillermovilas Quote
Thanks for the addresse , i still have to figure out how to order ?
Call them by telephone, or e-mail them. I think they'll have someone there who can speak either English or French.

Last edited by Richard Day; 03-30-2007 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Adding e-mail
03-30-2007, 03:00 AM   #23
Veteran Member

How about Da 24?

Hi Richard.

I read it somewhere that you had suggested the forth coming Da 24 in 2008.

Is it true? If it is true, do you know any thing about the max aperture?

That would dampen down my desire to hunt down Fa* 24...

Thanks
03-30-2007, 03:28 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
The new Pentax 35mm should be a beauty, is it a 1.4
Damn well hope so!
03-30-2007, 04:14 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Any information is welcome Richard and I appreciate whatever there is to get without stretching your relations or possible rules.

I highly doubt that the lens will be faster than f/2. It seems as the success with the new limiteds make Pentax go for small and slow. Which is a pity; it would be fine to have an option to the Sigma. Thinking of all the fast 50mm lenses produced over the years I can't really understand why we don't see more of them for the APS-C sensor. No SR, tripod or high ISO can make up for a "dark" viewfinder.

I hope for SDM, can't see a DA lens without QuickShift and pray (sort of) for weather sealing. Some speed would be a miracle.
03-31-2007, 02:27 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Hi Richard.

I read it somewhere that you had suggested the forth coming Da 24 in 2008.

Is it true? If it is true, do you know any thing about the max aperture?

That would dampen down my desire to hunt down Fa* 24...

Thanks
I have no further information about this. It was mentioned in general discussion that it was a strong possibility as it is a highly regarded lens by the engineers, but nothing more concrete than that. I think they will try to preserve the apertures, just as they have with the DA 55 v. the FA* 85.

I suspect that once the bruhaha of the merger is over, lens development will progress steadily, just as it did over the 90's, probably even faster. Let's face it, 10 new lenses this year is more than we've ever had in a year! When the DA 35, 55, 200 and 300 are released, we shall be see how much the difference in pricing will be over the previous similar lenses.
03-31-2007, 02:42 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Any information is welcome Richard and I appreciate whatever there is to get without stretching your relations or possible rules.

I highly doubt that the lens will be faster than f/2. It seems as the success with the new limiteds make Pentax go for small and slow. Which is a pity; it would be fine to have an option to the Sigma. Thinking of all the fast 50mm lenses produced over the years I can't really understand why we don't see more of them for the APS-C sensor. No SR, tripod or high ISO can make up for a "dark" viewfinder.

I hope for SDM, can't see a DA lens without QuickShift and pray (sort of) for weather sealing. Some speed would be a miracle.
The small and slow (but v. sharp wide open) design philosophy is only for the Limited pancakes, not necessarily for other designs.

As they have an existing (and excellent) 35mm f2.0 design, I can see the cost and performance benefits of staying at f2.0. However, they have obviously designed a new optic for the DA 55/1.4 in order to match the FA*85/1.4, so maybe they will trump and surprise us all and produce a new 35/1.4 to match the FA 50/1.4.

From my discussions with the folk at Pentax UK, they are very aware that lenses and accessories are the most important ingredient for sustainability and growth of the brand once they have a base of modern bodies. They are resource limited in engineering and design, that's why they have partnered with Tokina, naturally they are increasing these resources as the market expands and suitable engineers become available.
03-31-2007, 03:22 AM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
-snip-
As they have an existing (and excellent) 35mm f2.0 design, I can see the cost and performance benefits of staying at f2.0. However, they have obviously designed a new optic for the DA 55/1.4 in order to match the FA*85/1.4, so maybe they will trump and surprise us all and produce a new 35/1.4 to match the FA 50/1.4.
Exciting. I really hope it will be f/1.4. Why leave that market for Sigma, Canon and Sony? A fast normal!

Let's see what happens... Do you have any idea about when these lenses will be available?

thank you,
03-31-2007, 04:50 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by guillermovilas Quote
Well i was having difficulty choosing between the Pentax 40mm f/2.8 & the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 but know you gave me another alternative with the Pentax 35mm f/2.

The only thing is i don`t seem to find it anywhere ? i`d like to buy it new , this is a 1999 lens ,don`t you think it`s going to be less suited for DSLR then a lens like the Sigma which was especially optimized for digital photography?
I know B&H Photo has them in stock for $299.95 and they ship international. I don't know how that stacks up to other prices but I have always had good service from these folks.
04-01-2007, 05:31 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Exciting. I really hope it will be f/1.4. Why leave that market for Sigma, Canon and Sony? A fast normal!

Let's see what happens... Do you have any idea about when these lenses will be available?

thank you,
Later this year!