Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #1

My K2000 arrived - yea & ???

Unfortunately I was at work and it still gets dark here pretty fast, but I fired off a few auto shots. I'm always interested to see what auto does on camera. It really made the sky very blue, but other colors seemed more on target. I usually shoot in program mode or AP anyway. Camera fits very nicely in my hands, I do love that. It seems pretty intuitive.

I know some of you have this camera. Just tell me before I go crazy - how do you shut the darn flash OFF. Other than that dumb icon dial on top. I don't want the flash to fire unless I push the button & tell it to. Maybe I've just become bleary eyed looking for the answer and it's right in front of me somewhere.

Thanks in advance,

Debbie

02-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Are you talking about the AF200 flash or the Pop Up (on board flash)?
If it's the former, turn it off ansd take it off the camera until you want to use it.
If it's the latter, just close it, it will only fire when it is in the 'up' position.
02-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Gary, yes I was talking about the on-board flash. I've been continuing to read and just about figured this out. It does seem dumb to me, to have to let it pop up and then close it. Backward, if you will. At least I now understand I haven't just overlooked something obvious.

Debbie
02-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i believe you can go into the menu and set the onboard flash to off..

02-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Izzy Quote
Thanks Gary, yes I was talking about the on-board flash. I've been continuing to read and just about figured this out. It does seem dumb to me, to have to let it pop up and then close it. Backward, if you will. At least I now understand I haven't just overlooked something obvious.
Actually, I think you *have* overlooked something, but it's not obvious. On the other Pentax cameras, you hit the Fn button to bring up that menu, then the down arrow to go to the flash menu, and you can set the flash to not pop up. I suspect the procedure is a little different on the K2000, but I'll be it's in there somewhere.
02-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Ok, the setting is "manual" not off..meaning it will only flash when YOU pop it up with the button..
02-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #7

If I recall correctly, I noticed this same occurence the first time that I used my new K-m. I think what happened is that when you are in the Auto Pic mode - if it is dark the camera decides that you need the flash and it pops it up automatically. When I switched to other modes the camera did not try to automatically pop up the flash. I will not be using the Auto Pic mode, so it is not a problem for me.

In fact, I can't say for sure what happens in other modes, but I just checked the the on-line manual. On p 60 it states that when you are in Auto Pic mode, the camera will activitate the flash if needed.

Hope this helps...
02-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #8

Original Poster
Jed, you win! Holy moly. Shame on me for trying out that auto picture thing, then letting it bamboozle me. Switch to program mode and the problem went away. There is no where to set the flash to off in the menu system. I've drilled through every inch of that looking at the goodies and options. Thank you everyone. I wish work didn't interfer with my life so much. I would love to spend tomorrow having fun with photography!

Debbie

02-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

is there a "manual" option in the flash menu?
02-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
is there a "manual" option in the flash menu?
Nope there isn't -
the K2000 seems to be different from the K100D, K10D and K20D
and more in line with the K200D.

I am sure the camera must have come with a manual
so this really is a case of just reading it - page 65 -

The option is called "Flash On" -
but if one reads the description it is the same as "manual" flash as K100D and K10D users know it.

Auto flash is not an option in P, Sv, Tv, Av or M -
that's why the problem was "solved" when taken off of the green AUTO PICT on to "P"
02-10-2009, 05:56 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you Vincent,

I accept being chided for not reading the manual properly. I did look at all the sections that referenced flash, but obviously it didn't sink in with me. That "on" meant "off". Which is 100% my fault for speed reading. It was night one with the camera...my only excuse I will be much more mindful of searching for answers before letting something rattle me like this. I am beholden to all for your tolerance with me as I first made the choice for this camera and my guilty trait of assuming I basically know what I want my options to be and stomping my little foot when my favorite choices don't pop up in a format I think it should be in - like the little word "off". Egad! I will do better, I promise

Debbie
02-10-2009, 01:53 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I missed this too, when I got my K200D even though I read the manual. Only after I discovered how it worked by experimentation (aka playing around with it), did the page in the manual on flash mode make sense to me.

The manual says that in Flash On mode, the flash doesn't discharge when retracted. I'm thinking that's a bit silly. why would the flash discharge while it's retracted in *any* mode. If they had said that Flash On mode *prevents* the flash from popping up and discharging regardless of light level, I would have understood straight off.
02-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Same here with the K200D. Once you get used to the weird logic, it seems logical.
02-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery
No problemo

QuoteOriginally posted by Izzy Quote
Thank you Vincent,

I accept being chided for not reading the manual properly. I did look at all the sections that referenced flash, but obviously it didn't sink in with me. That "on" meant "off". Which is 100% my fault for speed reading. It was night one with the camera...my only excuse I will be much more mindful of searching for answers before letting something rattle me like this. I am beholden to all for your tolerance with me as I first made the choice for this camera and my guilty trait of assuming I basically know what I want my options to be and stomping my little foot when my favorite choices don't pop up in a format I think it should be in - like the little word "off". Egad! I will do better, I promise

Debbie
It's the excitement. If you have to commute by bus or train I find it the ideal time to read a manual and check over the camera settings (at least that's a safe thing to do on our transport system, not sure I can assume the same about yours).

I am still really impressed by my K-m, and still carry it to work most days.