Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

First thoughts...

So, I'm officially a Pentaxian now! I got my *ist DS (used but in PERFECT condition) today, and I love it! A few things that I might have to get used to from Canon are that it's much more difficult to navigate menus for things like the metering and other settings, but for the most part it is incredibly easy to use. I got a Sigma DL 35-80 and a Pentax 50 f/2 with it, and I've used both lenses, and even though it's manual focus, I still love how easy they are to use with the camera.

I did have a few questions though...

For some reason I can't push the shutter unless I have complete focus confirmation, and when I recompose I automatically lose the focus...how can I change this?

Also, There's an eye on my top LCD, what is that and what does it mean?

(I didn't get a manual, so I'm SOL on figuring these out on my own).

02-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
So, I'm officially a Pentaxian now! I got my *ist DS (used but in PERFECT condition) today, and I love it! A few things that I might have to get used to from Canon are that it's much more difficult to navigate menus for things like the metering and other settings, but for the most part it is incredibly easy to use. I got a Sigma DL 35-80 and a Pentax 50 f/2 with it, and I've used both lenses, and even though it's manual focus, I still love how easy they are to use with the camera.

For some reason I can't push the shutter unless I have complete focus confirmation, and when I recompose I automatically lose the focus...how can I change this?

286 posts and finally you decide :P ... welcome to pentax!

1. you have the AF/MF switch to AF
2. probably red eye reduction flash
3. you can dl the manual from pentax's website
02-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Welcome to the club - its obviously been a long gestation

Anyway, as for manuals, Pentax have the *ist DS manual for download.

For any Pentax camera etc, they also have manuals for download (including film!) Customer Support - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site for any camera!

Enjoy your new toy!
02-09-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, looks like I've figured out a lot more in just a few hours! I really do love this camera, and with the 50mm f/2 it really is a pancake!

02-10-2009, 04:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

with the 50mm f/2 it really is a pancake!
That lens looks really great on that camera. You can go one smaller and slap on the original "pancake", the M 40mm.
02-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

On my K200D, I focus by pressing shutter release half way, then recompose while keeping button pressed half way, then shoot. I'd be surprised if your model doesn't work the same.
02-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm using an older lens.
02-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey congrats! More post than me and I've already had 3 dslr's :P

Try (1) making sure you're on Manual focus (switch on the front), and B, there might be a menu setting which enables the use of lenses which don't have an A setting on the aperture ring. It would be in the custom functions, but I don't know what it would be called on the DS.

02-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Hey congrats! More post than me and I've already had 3 dslr's :P

Try (1) making sure you're on Manual focus (switch on the front), and B, there might be a menu setting which enables the use of lenses which don't have an A setting on the aperture ring. It would be in the custom functions, but I don't know what it would be called on the DS.
Thanks, I figured out most of it.