Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2009, 01:16 AM   #1

Strange noise coming from the K2000

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the world of DSLRs, and I just got my pentax K2000 (or K-M). I'm noticing a strange noise, however, and I was hoping someone would be able to either tell me I'm crazy, or let me know if I should send it in for service . After taking a picture and hearing the mirror drop back down there is a soft static-y noise that lasts until the picture is displayed for review. It sounds almost like the "cranking" of a harddrive but what worries me is that it is writing to an sd card. Is this a normal noise that other K2000 users have noticed, or do I need to send mine in for service?

Thanks for the help.

02-10-2009, 02:32 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Try a few things first

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxNasson Quote
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the world of DSLRs, and I just got my pentax K2000 (or K-M). I'm noticing a strange noise, however, and I was hoping someone would be able to either tell me I'm crazy, or let me know if I should send it in for service . After taking a picture and hearing the mirror drop back down there is a soft static-y noise that lasts until the picture is displayed for review. It sounds almost like the "cranking" of a harddrive but what worries me is that it is writing to an sd card. Is this a normal noise that other K2000 users have noticed, or do I need to send mine in for service?

Thanks for the help.
Does not sound right, and I have the K2000 too.

1. I notice mine takes a while to write to the card when I use some of the digital filters. Try defaulting the settings (last menu I think) and seeing what that does.

2. Perhaps try another card before you send it in.

3. It isn't possible you don't have the lens attached properly? (sounds crazy I know)

cheers
02-10-2009, 03:02 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Stefan,

I checked all of the basics already...Lens is attached and autofocus is working, camera takes pictures. I don't have another card to try right now, but I was thinking the same thing. I thought I remembered by k2000 being whisper quiet after taking a picture, but I just started noticing it. I know what you mean about the digital filters, but it doesn't take a long time to process when I take pictures, it just makes that "harddrive-y" noise...Shoot, I just tried taking another picture with the defaulted settings...now it is making the noise with the mirror up (long exposure). *Sniff* So yours is quiet after the shutter release? No fizzing or hard drive sound cranking during mirror up/after shutter release? Guess I'll have to send mine in after I try with a different card.

Actually, if you could try something for me I'd appreciate it. If you go into sensor cleaning and select mirror lock up do you hear a fizzing noise while the camera is still on (red light blinking)?

If not then I probably need to send it in, because I am hearing the fizzing a lot when the mirror is up.

Let me know. And thanks for the help.

Last edited by pentaxNasson; 02-10-2009 at 03:12 AM.
02-10-2009, 06:35 AM   #4

this might be a dumb suggestion, but does it still make the sound when SR (Shake Reduction) is turned off?

SR has a high pitched whine/clicky noise that is very noticeable on my k100d when in mirror lock up and for long exposures.
-southy

02-10-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The noise comes from the small servomotors holding the sensor in place during the exposure. These motors are in use even with SR off. So some noise is normal, excessive noise might indicate a problem.
02-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks Southy and Gimbal,

I tried turning the shake reduction off, and the noise is still there. I hope that it is just regular servomotor noise. I am going to perhaps contact pentax support today to see what they say. The noise is noticable even with your head about a foot away from the camera, so I think it might be excessive.

Thanks for all your help everyone.
NB.
02-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

There are no servomotors inside. You are wrong.
It's a sound of electromagnetic coils working.
It is normal

02-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #8

"After taking a picture and hearing the mirror drop back down there is a soft static-y noise that lasts until the picture is displayed for review."

pentaxNasson,
I am going to guess you are hearing the "dark frame subtraction". Check it out. My K100ds emits a noticable fizzing noise during and after longer exposures. You should hear nothing at higher shutter speeds. Hope this helps!

Paul
02-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It is probably the Shake Reduction system that you are hearing.

To be absolutely sure - try using Dust Removal -
which shakes the sensor in the same way
and hear if it make the same/similar sound......
it's on page 243 of your manual.
02-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #10

Original Poster
Hi All,

I've contacted pentax, and they said it sounded strange and that I should send it in...so...I'm on the bench for 15-20 days.

As for "dark frame subtraction" the fizzing noise is definitely there for long exposures, but I switched to 1/4000 and still heard it after the mirror clicked back down. It is even there when I put the camera into "sensor cleaning" mode so I don't know if "dark frame subtraction" would be taking place then.

It isn't the same noise as the rattle of dust removal. It is fainter and sounds like static/fizzing I wish I could record it and put it on the forums. .

I'll just pay for the shipping and have a tech look at it and advise. Thanks everyone for your help!
02-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #11
Rob

My K200d is silent except when the mirror moves. Even the flash re-charge doesn't make any noise.

At least that is what I thought until now!

I just set up a 3 second exposure and I get a faint fizzle but ONLY when image stabilization is on. It is so faint that I never noticed before. Thanks a bunch ;-}

I'm (arguable) a senior citizen and the high frequency is falling off* but it seems pretty quiet. It certainly must be the stabilization servo - btw, my guess is that the servo actuator is a piezo or voice coil, not a servo motor like in the RC airplane.

Rob
* My friend says "The proof that there is a God is that as the wifes' voice gets more shrill over the course of years, the husbands' ability to hear high frequencies is lost."
02-11-2009, 01:41 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
Sorry for slow reply

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxNasson Quote
Thanks Stefan,

I checked all of the basics already...Lens is attached and autofocus is working, camera takes pictures. I don't have another card to try right now, but I was thinking the same thing. I thought I remembered by k2000 being whisper quiet after taking a picture, but I just started noticing it. I know what you mean about the digital filters, but it doesn't take a long time to process when I take pictures, it just makes that "harddrive-y" noise...Shoot, I just tried taking another picture with the defaulted settings...now it is making the noise with the mirror up (long exposure). *Sniff* So yours is quiet after the shutter release? No fizzing or hard drive sound cranking during mirror up/after shutter release? Guess I'll have to send mine in after I try with a different card.

Actually, if you could try something for me I'd appreciate it. If you go into sensor cleaning and select mirror lock up do you hear a fizzing noise while the camera is still on (red light blinking)?

If not then I probably need to send it in, because I am hearing the fizzing a lot when the mirror is up.

Let me know. And thanks for the help.
Sorry about the slow reply: we're across continents and I often check here late in the evening before bed, and not every day.

Good luck with the Pentax service and the mysterious sound. Let me know if I can be more help.

cheers

Stefan
Melbourne, Australia
02-11-2009, 01:42 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
There are no servomotors inside. You are wrong.
It's a sound of electromagnetic coils working.
It is normal
If you call it a servomotor or not is a question of definition, and in my opinion this is a solid case of two servos working. The magnets and coils together with the position sensors and drive system forms two servo systems, thus servomotors.
02-11-2009, 03:23 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Carey Quote
Sorry about the slow reply: we're across continents and I often check here late in the evening before bed, and not every day.

Good luck with the Pentax service and the mysterious sound. Let me know if I can be more help.

cheers

Stefan
Melbourne, Australia
Stefan,

I was wondering if you tried out the "sensor cleaning" mode (in the same menu as "dust alert" and "dust removal") on your k2000. Could you let me know if once you have selected mirror lock (up) if there are any noises coming from your camera? (Before you turn it off that is). And if there is a noise could you tell me how loud it is?

Thanks!
02-11-2009, 06:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Yesterday evening I took a few test shots with my K-m and I didn't hear any noticable noise (except the mirror and shutter of course).