Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax USA salesman: "eBay is an authorized dealer" and warranty applies

I called Pentax USA to check if a bought a new Pentax DSLR off of ebay,
would they honor the warranty?

He said yes.

He said "eBay is an authorized dealer", and if the camera is new, and the seller
is claiming there is a warranty, that Pentax will honor it.

(I assume this would only be the case if the warranty card is included, and at very
least that someone else hasn't sent in the card before you.)

They said that you will need a proof of purchase, but this could be a receipt, or
an invoice, of a credit card statement.

Any idea why others have gotten conflicting information?

[kurt]

02-10-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok, that's just a bizarre statement that doesn't make ANY sense. "eBay" doesn't sell ANYTHING. Hence, they are NOT an authorized reseller of anything. Period.

Now, a Seller on eBay; An individual seller could most certainly be an Authorized Pentax Reseller. I can think of 2 in Canada right off the bat: Henrys and Robinson's Camera. Both of those companies have brick and mortar shops even (but I bet thats not a pre-requisite to being a reseller).
02-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's more likely an matter of confusion rather than conflicting info, Kurt. Pentax photo products typically do not include a warranty card. Instead, it appears Pentax world-wide uses new product proof of purchase to establish a date of purchase for warranty purposes. Accepted proof includes a store receipt, store invoice, or a credit card statement listing a store name. Thus, Pentax would generally honor the warranty for a product sold by a ligitimate store selling on eBay providing that proof of purchase, but would not for a product sold by a private individual selling through a private eBay auction. It is likely that difference (ligitimate store versus private individual) causing the confusion.

By the way, eBay itself is not an authorized dealer unless the item is sold directly by eBay, not an auction by some other entity. When it comes to auctions, it depends entirely on the seller as described in the previous paragraph.

stewart

Edit: Just came back to check replies. Is that a BMW in your avatar, getmoresoon? Certainly looks like it, but difficult to be absolutely certain given the small image.

-

Last edited by stewart_photo; 02-10-2009 at 07:10 PM.
02-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Ebay an authorized dealer?????

QuoteOriginally posted by shuttervox Quote

He said yes.

He said "eBay is an authorized dealer", and if the camera is new, and the seller

(I assume this would only be the case if the warranty card is included, and at very

They said that you will need a proof of purchase, but this could be a receipt, or

Any idea why others have gotten conflicting information? [kurt]
AFAIK, ebay isn't ANY kind of dealer. When you buy something there, you are not buying from ebay, you are buying from the seller, who is another ebay customer. At best, ebay is a broker. That is, they bring a buyer and seller together and take a commission.

I don't doubt that you were told that, but it makes no sense. That's like saying the classified ads in my local paper are an authorized dealer.

Now, the seller may be an authorized dealer. In fact, several brick and mortar camera stores frequently sell on ebay. If you buy from one of those stores, whether by walking in their front door or via an ebay-brokered transaction, the warranty would be valid.

But then, what do I know?

02-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

As a CS manager, this does not sound right.

For one, a receipt must itemize the product, not just show some charge on a credit card statement.

Second, no handwritten sales "receipt" from some guy on the web...

Three, "claims" by a seller about a warranty...is not a warranty.

Four, Ebay not a dealer.
02-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ya, I agree, someone is missing something here.

I think he must have misunderstood what I was asking, and also was not clear in defining what he was talking about.

And I guess he was a customer service rep, not a salesman.

Anyway, I think as long as I buy from an actual ebay store (like "prodigital2000"),
I should be ok.

[kurt]
02-11-2009, 02:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"New in box K200D with warranty". I have asked several sellers the same thing - who is honouring the Warranty - answer has always been "Pentax"!!! yet the sellers are not Dealers, so they have been obtained other than by normal channels.

In Aus the importers will not honour as there is no proof of purchase.

So it is buyer beware.

regards

02-11-2009, 05:30 AM   #8
Forum Member

Not a BMW Stewart, but an 1986 Kawasaki Concours. Lots of fun :-)
02-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

He said yes.

Any idea why others have gotten conflicting information?

[kurt]

Another bizarre statement from Pentax USA. EBAY can not be a dealer. But there are quite a few Pentax authorized dealers who operate off EBAY. Just old good brick and mortar camera stores that find it easier to sell equipment this way.
02-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #10

Is it bizarre that I would have received a warranty card in my K200D? I had one in my body box and the 18-55mm lens box as well.

Perhaps I am not clear on what you are referring to? Thanks for clarifying...

Jason

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
It's more likely an matter of confusion rather than conflicting info, Kurt. Pentax photo products typically do not include a warranty card. Instead, it appears Pentax world-wide uses new product proof of purchase to establish a date of purchase for warranty purposes. Accepted proof includes a store receipt, store invoice, or a credit card statement listing a store name. Thus, Pentax would generally honor the warranty for a product sold by a ligitimate store selling on eBay providing that proof of purchase, but would not for a product sold by a private individual selling through a private eBay auction. It is likely that difference (ligitimate store versus private individual) causing the confusion.

By the way, eBay itself is not an authorized dealer unless the item is sold directly by eBay, not an auction by some other entity. When it comes to auctions, it depends entirely on the seller as described in the previous paragraph.

stewart

Edit: Just came back to check replies. Is that a BMW in your avatar, getmoresoon? Certainly looks like it, but difficult to be absolutely certain given the small image.

-
02-11-2009, 04:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

He said yes.

<snip>

[kurt]
Warranties can be very specific. A warranty promised by an authorized dealer in (Canada?) may not be honored by the Pentax USA corp. An owner with an "international" warranty may be obligated to ship, at the owner's expense, to and from an overseas location. The overseas repair organization may or may not be conversant in the language of the owner.

Me? I live in the US and will buy from a dealer that I'm certain is authorized by Pentax USA. If there's doubt, I'll contact Pentax USA.

I'll let others take warranty chances to save USD $50.

Now ..... anyone want to comment on Square Trade warranties ????
02-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Warranties can be very specific. A warranty promised by an authorized dealer in (Canada?) may not be honored by the Pentax USA corp. An owner with an "international" warranty may be obligated to ship, at the owner's expense, to and from an overseas location. The overseas repair organization may or may not be conversant in the language of the owner.

Me? I live in the US and will buy from a dealer that I'm certain is authorized by Pentax USA. If there's doubt, I'll contact Pentax USA.

I'll let others take warranty chances to save USD $50.

Now ..... anyone want to comment on Square Trade warranties ????
Will, I got my K20D body a few months back for $648 shipped with a 2 year Canadian warranty. I'll have to ship to Colorado if it were a USA warranty anyway. Big Woop. At some point Ned is going to get hit in the head with NAFTA anyway.
02-13-2009, 12:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by getmoresoon Quote
Not a BMW Stewart, but an 1986 Kawasaki Concours. Lots of fun :-)

Looks amazingly similar to my early 80's BMW R100RT, getmoresoon. Right down to the deep red color (though the even darker red, almost black, shadowing along the edges of the fairing and so on is missing), overall fairing shape, headlight placement, black suitcase-like saddlebags, and so on. The picture even suggests large cylinders (painted black), such as those on the BMW, right in front of your legs. Of course, a closer look would probably reveal more details and more differences. Very nice looking machine nonetheless, getmoresoon. Take care.

stewart
02-13-2009, 12:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alderfall Quote
Is it bizarre that I would have received a warranty card in my K200D? I had one in my body box and the 18-55mm lens box as well. Perhaps I am not clear on what you are referring to? Thanks for clarifying...

A mail-in product registration card to register a product for warranty purposes (commonly called a "warranty card") is usually not included, Jason. None of the Pentax products I've purchased, from the USA, UK, or Germany, have included this type of card. Therefore, as far as I know, Pentax photo products do not include a warranty card, with Pentax world-wide apparently solely using new product proof of purchase to establish a date of purchase for warranty purposes.

stewart
02-13-2009, 03:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

here is a reply from the pentax service center centre in my country.

"Dear Sir,

There's no Pentax 3 year warranty promotion for the K20D In Singapore. We will honor the International Warranty if you bought your K20D in the United States with the International Warranty Card provided. And we will not honor the International Warranty if you bought your K20D from the United States wedsite, although you've got the International Warranty Card .. Thank you."

so far my translation is if bought the camera while there then the international warranty card can used for local servicing. If bought the camera from internet website and shipped to country then the international warranty card is useless.

Also when i enquired if my K20D warranty bought in Jan this year is now 3 years according to PENTAX News and Press Releases - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site, they said..

"The K20D still just have a one year manufacturer warranty on it. If you wish to place an order for the Sagemax Extended Warranty, please order this item number: . For all information on it, please click here: SageMax.

Thank you for shopping with us,

Sincerely,

B&H Photo-Video Customer Service Department. "