Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Any known issues with the firmware "reverting" on the K10D?

I decided to play with wireless flash tonight and was getting frustrated that I couldn't figure out how to set the camera for wireless flash. I eventually realized that my firmware was v1.0

I know that the first thing I did when I got the camera was update the firmware to 1.3. I've updated it and I'm all set now, but was curious if there were any known issues that could cause firmware updates to be lost (if that's even possible).

If not, I guess I'll just assume that I didn't complete the process properly the first time.

Thanks,

Jamie

02-10-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never heard of that before, the first thing I did when I got my K10D was to update the firmware, and have had no problems at all...
02-11-2009, 03:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Like Stratman, I updated my K10D out of the box to v. 1.30. That was over a year ago without any "reversion" problem since.
02-11-2009, 12:51 PM   #4

If the original flash firmware update process completed successfully, in order to revert to an older firmware would require a very specific set of steps to be taken by either the camera or the user. Regardless, the older firmware version is being rewritten to the NVRAM EEPROM somehow. This would happen only one easily concievable way and that would be a person rewriting the old flash file themselves. Now, I don't know that any person outside of Pentax would have the original EEPROM software in the first place (I couldn't imagine Pentax offering the original firmware software revision (1.0.0?) for download to the public but I suppose I could be wrong). Otherwise, the original software version would have to be stored elsewhere in the camera and autmatically be written in case the camera detects a strange configuration or startup errors.

In other words, I would imagine the easiest answer to this is that the flash update process was not completed correctly in the first place. If it was completed correctly and the properly updated flash reflects for a time in your camera, then it reverts to the original camera operating system, then I would say that Pentax has built a functionality most people are not aware of and they would be the only camera manufacturer (not to mention other electronic gadgets) with this functionality.

If you flash it, the camera proves it and then you power cycle or remove batteries and it reverts to an older version at next power up then I would suggest a warranty claim/repair order.

Anybody else ever see this kind of activity?

02-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

As far as I know, there is no possible way for the firmware to revert to an earlier version, Jamie. When new firmware is installed, it entirely replaces the older firmware (no copy kept or stored in the camera that I'm aware of). That (no working firmware) is exactly why the camera will fail to function when a new firmware update is interrupted during installation, with that overall being the reason Pentax so urgently warns owners to use a fresh battery or AC adapter during firmware installations.

Given that, I strongly suspect you didn't actually complete your earlier firmware update. Try it again, checking afterwards to make certain the installation was successful. To check firmware version, remove any memory card containing the firmware update file and turn the camera on while holding the "MENU" button.

stewart
02-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter

The question of backdating firmware comes up occasionally. Stop me if I'm repeating myself...

The ability to revert back to earlier firmware would be odd for a camera, but it is common in high end computers. I maintained HP systems for many years and some models have dual memory banks for the firmware. That way, if the customer had a problem with the new firmware, it was a simple command to switch banks to the old version to see if the problem disappeared. HP even had dual firmware on a I/O card I have updated many times.

This is also useful for corrupted firmware, you just switch banks and the unit functions again, albeit on the old version.

I for one would love to have a version 1.0 file for my K110D. Pentax upgraded the K110D on repair (I broke it) and afterward Remote Assistant went from poor to useless. I don't dare upgrade my K100D because if I'm right, I'll lose Remote Assistant with that camera. Note: Pentax has never supported Remote Assistant for the K1x0D cameras.