Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2007, 04:44 PM   #1

Pentax K10d - mmmmm that new camera smell

is there such thing as a "new camera smell?"

Anyways, after months of researching, saving up and just plain waiting for the it to come, the k10d has finally made its grand arrival.

I took it around campus late last night (ended classes late in the evening) and the shots I've uploaded to flickr are the results.

All but 1 or w have been shot with a Pentax-M SMC 50mm f/1.7. This is my first dSLR ever, so you can spot all my mistakes very easily Manual focusing - man... and the lighthing I know can be improved dramatically in a lot of the shots. Well, in due time - I'm still learning Any tips appreciated!

Flickr: Photos from USCdeacon

don't be too harsh now

God bless,
Jon "finally a Pentaxian" Baik

(NaCl, hope you don't mind me borrowing your style for my sign-off :P)

03-28-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have a Ball...

QuoteOriginally posted by USCdeacon Quote

Anyways, after months of researching, saving up and just plain waiting for the it to come, the k10d has finally made its grand arrival.

I took it around campus late last night (ended classes late in the evening) and the shots I've uploaded to flickr are the results.

All but 1 or w have been shot with a Pentax-M SMC 50mm f/1.7. This is my first dSLR ever, so you can spot all my mistakes very easily Manual focusing - man... and the lighthing I know can be improved dramatically in a lot of the shots. Well, in due time - I'm still learning Any tips appreciated!

don't be too harsh now

God bless,

Make TONS of mistakes. Make sure you have a pen and paper handy, so you can replicate that one "Killer" mistake you made. That's where the fun begins...
03-28-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

hey, glad to see you're happy with your K10D. i felt the same way two weeks ago. and yeah, there is such a thing as a scent of a new camera. haha.
03-28-2007, 05:43 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Make TONS of mistakes. Make sure you have a pen and paper handy, so you can replicate that one "Killer" mistake you made. That's where the fun begins...
Now that's a great attitude!

-
Flickr: Photos from Dr_Watso

03-28-2007, 05:49 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_Watso Quote
Now that's a great attitude!

-
Flickr: Photos from Dr_Watso
Yea, verily.
03-28-2007, 05:52 PM   #6

Jon -- nice shots! And welcome to the "new-k10d-with-an-M-lens" club! Unsolicited advice: don't get a Vivitar 2x teleconverter, no matter HOW good the price is...
03-28-2007, 06:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

hey you finally got it..cool

03-28-2007, 06:19 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Nicely done. very clean even in the dark areas. I don't see any VPN,noise and banding at all and that has become almost an obsession to some in the other forum. Congratulation. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Rene R
03-28-2007, 07:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

don't be too harsh now

God bless,

You've got some nice shots there Jon, I especially liked the first reflecting pool shot with all the bicycles. That one is extra special good. I also liked the flower with the double light in the background. I have to say that the totally oof shots didn't get my attention much, they show nice bokeh, but only that. Nice bokeh is kinda like wall paper to me, nice but I don't want to focus on it. If there had been something in focus in the foreground I think they would have been much more effective. But that's just me. In any even congrats on your "new body" and I am glad you are enjoying it.

NaCl(about the sig, "imitation is the greatest form of flattery" )H2O
03-29-2007, 08:59 AM   #10
Inactive Account

well said Ben,.... more than often I forget the mistakes and the fun,
that's where the biggest mistake lies,...

another quote to remember
Expert physicist Niels Bohr said, "An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field.

I'll add to that, an expert (pro photographer), is one, who can make mistakes,
deliberately, and can repeat, duplicate, and explain them; and most important, preffere them.

cheers, Robert
now I have to go out to make some more,...

03-29-2007, 09:21 AM   #11

Yes i can smell it too, just got mine a couple of hours ago
03-29-2007, 09:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Glad to hear the great news from ya! Nice shots in your flickr page too! Take that camera to the limit let's see what else you can post!
03-29-2007, 05:03 PM   #13

That new camera smell

Welcome the world of the Pentaxian Jon, nothing wrong with those shots..

In reply to the comment from Ben... one of my stock statements is;

'If you never make a mistake, you are not trying hard enough!'

Some of my best shots ever have been mistakes, that is I broke the rules and learned a valuable lesson on trying new things.
03-29-2007, 07:02 PM   #14

Yes, it is caused by the out-gassing of newly made and sealed up plastic parts. Just like the "new car" smell.
03-31-2007, 03:59 PM   #15

Original Poster
:)

I'll be sure to make plenty!
I have a handy moleskine journal and pen always in my camera bag - I'll be sure that they're put to good use!

As always, I'm constantly amazed at the quality of people there are on this board.
Thanks again on your continued support in helping out this baby Pentaxian

I've updated my flickr (for those of you who are interested).
If you have a flickr account, please add me as a friend/contact!

I'm having trouble with a "orange-yellow" hue that's taking over most of my pictures (like in this one):
looking for something to turn on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

the lighting was actually under bright white fluorescent. I thought it was a White-Balance using, but it replicates all the same colors except under tungsten (which gives off a blue hue). I'm still trying to tackle all the diff. settings on a dSLR, so as usual, ANY tips/guidance is GREATLY appreciated!