Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2009, 01:41 AM   #1

Catch in focus + K20D + M42

Hi all!

My first post here so be gentle

I'm trying to get the cath in focus feature to work on my K20D but it just won't. I have enabled the C.function 34 (I think) cath in focus, as well as C.function which allow me to use lenses without an "A" setting.

I put the camera in AF.S and I get the auto focus confirmation but if I manually make the image OOF and press the shutter release button it just takes the photo, it's not waiting until it's in focus.

Am I doing something wrong?

02-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #2

Since it's manual lens, AF won't work. You should put it on MF, the AF confirmation from the camera is not correct when using manual lens. just use your eyes to focus it or change the focus screen to a split focus screen for much accurate focus.
02-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Overhard Quote
I put the camera in AF.S and I get the auto focus confirmation but if I manually make the image OOF and press the shutter release button it just takes the photo, it's not waiting until it's in focus.
Are you making sure the focus confirmation (Green hexagon) does not exist to indicate that the image is OOF before clicking ? Since you get a confirmation and then manually make the image OOF, and go on to click, I guess, it still assumes image is in focus from your previous focus check.

Just my guess and also not sure if it's any different from K10 as thats what I have.

QuoteOriginally posted by winglik Quote
Since it's manual lens, AF won't work. You should put it on MF, the AF confirmation from the camera is not correct when using manual lens. just use your eyes to focus it or change the focus screen to a split focus screen for much accurate focus.
OP wants to know "catch in focus" and not focus assist in Manual. Also focus confirmation works for me in K10D, and I often use it.

Cheers
Nish
02-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Aluminum foil trick

QuoteOriginally posted by winglik Quote
...the AF confirmation from the camera is not correct when using manual lens. just use your eyes to focus it or change the focus screen to a split focus screen for much accurate focus.
The AF confirmation does work on my K10D. I don't think the K20D is different.

Back to the OP's question of "catch in focus," I assume that this is the same as "focus trap": the shutter fires ONLY when the image is in focus.

The "focus trap" works only when the electrical contacts on the lens mount are shorted. Maybe only some, not all, of them needs to be shorted. But who cares.

Some M42 lenses have a large flange to cover the electrical contacts on the camera body's lens mount, and the flange is bare metal. This will shorts the contacts and "focus trap" will work.

Some M42 lenses have narrow flange, or the flange is painted. The contacts thus are not shorted.

If the flange covers the contacts and is painted, you can scrape the paint off.

If the flange is too small to cover the contacts, use a piece of aluminum foil between the lens and the body to cover the contacts.