Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2007, 09:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not so sure

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
IMHO, I don't think we have even come close to the plateau of sensor development. I am sure that the introduction of new technologies is quite controlled and the introduction of these sensors are released as per the decisions via the marketing sectors of those producing these technologies. I am certain that there are technologies being prepared that are third and fourth generations that may be released in the next two to three years. I suspect that in three to four years, we will see aps-c sensors approaching the 24 mega pixel mark with very good noise specs as well as a rapidity that we think is inconceivable at this juncture in time. These sensors and the associated software will give those not needing extreme resolution the option to choose a lower resolution output. This will result in a lower noise floor and higher capture rate.

Ben
I agree we are not there yet, but the rate of improvement is slowing down. Canon are providing incremental updates, Nikon have no less than 3 cameras using the same sensor, and I dont think Bayer pattern APS chips can stretch a lot more DR or resolution out of existing silicon designs. Its will need a design rethink.

I am not THAT impressed by the high ISO performance of the Canon IDmk3, yes its good but the detail loss is visible. Its more about processing than sensors. And this was the only significant Canon announcement in a year.

My K10D is a great camera, but compared to the *istD I bought over 3 years ago, its RAW IQ (after PP) is not significantly behind that of the K10D. What improved was the camera performance.

I doubt the K10D successor will be a major leap forward, so its quite sensible to sit tight with a couple of K10s for 2-3 years and see what comes along. I think we will only be seeing significant improvements over that sort of timescale - eg once every 3-4 years.

The 645D - now thats another story - I wish I had that kind of money.

03-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
I don't want to go off on tangents here, but "More Megapixels is better" sounds a lot like Intel going into their "More Megahertz = More Computing Power" argument. Improve the IQ coming off the current sensors without increasing the megapixel count and lets see what happens.
Intel touting more Megahertz? Not recently! The first 3 GHz Pentium 4 came out in November 2002 (per Intel's web site):

Intel Microprocessor Quick Reference Guide - Product Family

Shortly after that they introduced 3.6 GHz and have not budged since. They attempted 3.8 GHz and had to withdraw the product. I'd rather have the 16 GHz Pentium Moore's law says we should have by now than a quad core 3.X Ghz.

I agree with not being on the bleeding edge, I always buy proven hardware and versions of Windows. Every 5-6 years my wife and I update our HP Pavilions, currently P4 2.8 HT and 2.93 Ghz with XP Pro. I read so many messages about Vista hardware problems I will stay away till our next refresh cycle. Even going to XP a few years after it was introduced forced us to buy 3 new printers.

Going back to cameras I did buy my wife's istD and my K100D when they were rather new and have no regrets. Unlike PCs the only "peripheral" we need compatibility for is our manual K lenses which all work on the new cameras. We did not expect the DSLR to support the same storage media as our K1000s.
03-30-2007, 12:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
Intel touting more Megahertz? Not recently! The first 3 GHz Pentium 4 came out in November 2002 (per Intel's web site):

Intel Microprocessor Quick Reference Guide - Product Family

Shortly after that they introduced 3.6 GHz and have not budged since. They attempted 3.8 GHz and had to withdraw the product. I'd rather have the 16 GHz Pentium Moore's law says we should have by now than a quad core 3.X Ghz.

I agree with not being on the bleeding edge, I always buy proven hardware and versions of Windows. Every 5-6 years my wife and I update our HP Pavilions, currently P4 2.8 HT and 2.93 Ghz with XP Pro. I read so many messages about Vista hardware problems I will stay away till our next refresh cycle. Even going to XP a few years after it was introduced forced us to buy 3 new printers.

Going back to cameras I did buy my wife's istD and my K100D when they were rather new and have no regrets. Unlike PCs the only "peripheral" we need compatibility for is our manual K lenses which all work on the new cameras. We did not expect the DSLR to support the same storage media as our K1000s.

Leo - Nice catch - I wasn't paying attention to myself. I meant to say what Intel was touting a few years back. We know what happened to them and witnessed Intel quietly converting their strategies to try to beat AMD at their own game (going with Dual Core and implementing "energy saving" features)

LOL - nice comment about media! Good laugh for today.