Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2007, 07:36 PM   #1

*ist DS flash stuck closed

I'm having a problem with the integrated flash on my *ist DS being stuck closed. Sometimes, I have to push down on the flash to get it to release. Anyone else with this problem? Any easy fix?

03-28-2007, 08:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash stuck.

Hi
Yes, I have very recently experienced the very same problem. I finally sent the camera (istDs) to the agent for repair. Evidently there is a bit a of a fault with the release button. It cost me $77 (Aust) to have it repaired.
I am glad that I am not the only one to have experienced this, I thought it was my mishandling or something. I dont mean I'm glad to see it happen to you of course.
)
03-29-2007, 12:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Interesting as mine has started doing the same thing.
03-29-2007, 01:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mine DS has been this way since the day I bought it an it doesn't bother me at all.

03-29-2007, 02:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I wish i hadn't read this thread!
03-29-2007, 02:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Why is that??
03-29-2007, 02:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Because mine isn't stuck....
03-29-2007, 07:45 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Because mine isn't stuck....

Yet ...................

03-29-2007, 10:16 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
Yet ...................
Yeah, happened to me for the first time on Tuesday...OMG! it's an epidemic!

NaCl(it eventually came unstuck after only a very little time, but now I will have to remember the push down trick)H2O
03-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Mine has done this for over a year. Since I don't use the popup flash much, it's never been a problem. The flash release is a bit "sticky" and if I push the popup down while pressing the release button, it opens fine. What I do notice is that the popup feels a bit gritty/oily as I move it up and down. This doesn't bother me much since I use my equipment outdoors in all kinds of harsh conditions and Western Oklahoma is notable for fine sand that blows when "the wind comes sweeping down the Plains" (which is all the time).

In about the last month, the popup flash on the DS has stopped working altogether. No big deal since I now have the AF540FGZ, but it would be nice to be able to trigger the 540 from the body. When I get my K10D, I'll send the DS off for repair. This is why I pay extra for those worthless repair contracts. We'll see how Mack Warranties stand up.
03-29-2007, 04:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Consider yourself's lucky

At $77 dollars or whatever. When my D flash starting slowing down on it's pop up I sent it in for a repair out of warranty. Cost me over $350.......
I'm still a little miffed at myself for not screaming highway robbery. In their defence they did re-calibrate it... in theory.......