Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuicat Quote
Pro pro pro pro...
What are you talking about?

03-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sandpiper6 Quote
I'm on the fence between switching to the D90 vs just upgrading to the K20D. Hospital rooms, especially overnight births are lowlight WITHOUT flash.
In most lighting situations in a hospital room where you could not use a flash I would think that the best thing to use would be a wide aperture prime lens or zoom. I took a picture of a January 1st baby for a newspaper in a dimly lit hospital room with the curtains drawn (it was the day after the birth. We kind of reacted slow to that one ) with the FA 31 f/1.8 and that worked very well. In fact, the main challenge was that the father was slinking in the shadows, trying to hide from the camera

I would bet that any advantage that the K20 or D90 has over the other camera is very slight, especially if you shoot RAW and can digitally remove the noise with computer software. The K20D probably has a slight edge in the amount of detail gathered, while the D90 has a slight advantage in focus speed in low light, but both cameras could do an admirable job. Nikon also is supposed to have a better flash system on the whole, for the times when you can use flash, while Pentax has that great selection of fast primes to choose from.

So...pros and cons to both I'd say.

Hope that helps.
03-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #63

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I would bet that any advantage that the K20 or D90 has over the other camera is very slight, especially if you shoot RAW and can digitally remove the noise with computer software. The K20D probably has a slight edge in the amount of detail gathered, while the D90 has a slight advantage in focus speed in low light, but both cameras could do an admirable job. Nikon also is supposed to have a better flash system on the whole, for the times when you can use flash, while Pentax has that great selection of fast primes to choose from.

So...pros and cons to both I'd say.

Hope that helps.
Coming from the D90 I can vouch for the flash system. I shot with a SB-600 on mine and the results were nothing short of phenomenal. Having used a Canon 40D with a 17-55mm f2.8 IS lens coupled to a 580EX II flash I was amazed how well the "lowly" SB-600 did.

I am finding more detail in my photos with the K20D. And it isn't so much of a "more", rather it is "less smear" to the Pentax shots. That being said you really have to get down to pixel peeping on average light shots to see the difference.

In terms of focus speed the K20D does trail behind the D90 and the 40D in low light situations. But coupled to a constant f/2.8 24-70mm Sigma it locks on reasonably well. In the darkest of scenes, aiming at a dark colored suit you will find yourself hunting a bit but otherwise it is ok.

And finally I can report that the K20D did a good job at the wedding. There was a bit of a "getting to know you" factor at first but by the end the camera was doing great.

I only have one shot from the reception to post since I had to give all my memory cards to the principal photographer. She did not care about this shot since it was of my ugly mug. And yes the wedding was my daughters. The photographer who did the wedding is who I assist and while I wanted to snap more, my wife (as well as my daughter) started to give me more grief than I wanted to deal with.

This is straight from the camera, no sharpen, no color balance, no nothing. Just a downsize and conversion to jpeg straight from ACR. I set the camera up for my brother who took the pic. The 540 flash was fired straight up just for fill. Lens was a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX.

03-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #64

Personally, my concern is that if I buy a K20D now, I will be upset with myself for not waiting until this summer for pentax's new higher-end camera. What if the new camera is HD video ready? I know most people think it is a gimick, but I really do think it would be something I'd have a lot of fun with.

03-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Black Magic Quote
What if the new camera is HD video ready? I know most people think it is a gimick, but I really do think it would be something I'd have a lot of fun with.

Then you need to wait. No point buying now and then just wishing you'd waited. Of course, you'll pay the early adopter price (and not just in terms of money, but also in new gadget glitches).

If you bought a K20D now for a good price, you'd probably get a fair percentage back if you sold it to buy the new camera.
03-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
I think there's a company that does rent-by-mail of pentax lenses and bodies... I forget the company though. Maybe someone can help me and to OP out???
Camera Lens Rentals
03-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #67

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Black Magic Quote
Personally, my concern is that if I buy a K20D now, I will be upset with myself for not waiting until this summer for pentax's new higher-end camera. What if the new camera is HD video ready? I know most people think it is a gimick, but I really do think it would be something I'd have a lot of fun with.
Having tried the D90's video capability I will say that IMHO it is a gimmick. No autofocus, wavy jello objects when panning, and sound that rivals the best 9 transistor radio you can buy.

In all fairness I am speaking in broad general terms. There are some unique applications that could be used with the parts that work ok.

But in general, compared to the average camcorder? No thanks. I used it once and that was it.

The HDMI output is really sweet. And I am sure that it will become a standard on all DSLRs in the near future.
03-25-2009, 03:26 PM   #68
Inactive Account

Hi Riktar

Re your earlier comment:

QuoteQuote:
In body image stabilization is something that I really want. Canon and Nikon have got a real racket going on with placing their system in the lens.
Ain't THAT the truth.....! In fact, I think you're finally starting to "see the wood for the trees", as the expression goes.

QuoteQuote:
Having tried the D90's video capability I will say that IMHO it is a gimmick.
whilst "Jack of all trades, master of none" is a phrase that possibly springs to mind in this particular instance ?

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 03-25-2009 at 03:41 PM.
03-26-2009, 08:01 AM   #69

Original Poster
The in body stabilization was one of the factors I was using in my purchase decision. Frankly I am still kicking myself on going through the number of systems I did before getting the K20D. Just to note: What finally pushed me over the edge was the review on Imaging Resource. It's a shame I did not look into the K20D earlier. I would have most likely jumped from the Canon system I used straight to the K20D and skipped the whole Sigma/Nikon transition.

And in regards to the video: The D90 is not even "jack" when it comes to general uses. With the exception of the cheapest camcorders you can get, the D90 video system just don't cut it. I compared the HD video from the D90 to the ntsc "standard definition" video from a Panasonic DVC30. The D90 was a steaming pile of poop in comparison.
03-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #70

I keep hearing that Video will be the future must have feature on all new dSLR cameras, but frankly, I have no desire for it, and I don't get all of the lusting for it. I have a JVC Everio camcorder that we almost never use, and it has nothing to do with video quality, etc. I like still images, and my family would rather have me send them photos

To me, the video on an SLR is a sales tool, something to pull users in with, but in reality, most will not use it.
03-27-2009, 06:10 AM   #71
Inactive Account

Hi again Riktar

Re your previous point:

QuoteQuote:
The in body stabilization was one of the factors I was using in my purchase decision. Frankly I am still kicking myself on going through the number of systems I did before getting the K20D.

Let's face it, there will be those in diametrically opposed "camps" who remain firmly entrenched concerning the perceived benefits of in-lens SR over in-body SR. Whichever way you cut it however, the undeniable fact of the matter remains that potential/existing customers of in-lens SR systems will undoubtedly end up shelling-out considerably more dough in the long run !! That's all "fine & dandy" for people with exceedingly deep pockets, but may perhaps come as a bit of a shock to those who have bought an entry-level DSLR some years beforehand and then subsequently decide to upgrade.
In that respect, I reckon Pentax wins out over their direct competitors and thus could be seen as the "intelligent" choice. It's just that sometimes it finally takes a while for the "penny to eventually drop".....

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 03-27-2009 at 10:08 AM.
03-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Whichever way you cut it however, the undeniable fact of the matter remains that potential/existing customers of in-lens SR systems will undoubtedly end up shelling-out considerably more dough in the long run !!
Or, they'll simply choose to live without SR on many of their lenses. Of course, for people who never buy more than 1 or 2 lenses, its probably a wash, which is what I assume Canon & Nikon are thinking in offering stabilized kit lenses as their response to in-body stabilization.
03-29-2009, 04:49 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Riktar Quote
Just a quick note to the previous replies:

I can't make an informed opinion from trying out the K20D after just a few hours. Not to mention shooting with a "kit" lens is not a fair test of the sensor in the K20D. Once the Sigma lens arrives, and if I can lay my hands on a prime (50mm f/1.4 or so) I will post back with some images and my opinion.

But I will say that the K20D has some rather unique features that make it a compelling camera.

And so far, I have NO regrets after taking a few shots with the kit lens. At least in the sense of comparing it to the other bodies in "kit" form.
The new Series ll 18-55 Pentax kit lens got a four star rating in several magazines here in France. It is no slouch really. Very sharp lens at any price point.
03-29-2009, 05:02 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Many of these reviews simply restate Pentax's published figures. In real-life, I suspect, it will be difficult to achieve four stops.

It doesn't really matter what PopPhoto has stated, you simply cannot argue the physics of moving a lens element vs moving the imaging platform. The amount of movement required to compensate for shake, in the optics, is minuscule compared to the amount required on the imaging platform.

Anyhow, like another poster has already stated, it is a virtual certainty that both Canon and Nikon will introduce in-body SR soon because it is effective enough and it offers a lot of practical advantages.

Please don't misunderstand me, Pentax got this one right!
I have consistently gotten 2-3 stops and on occasion up to 4 with my SR on the K20D's. That is a major achievement to say the least.
03-29-2009, 05:10 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuicat Quote
I shoot with a k10D, and k20D and I spend a lot of time at work with a Nikon D200 and D300 (however I havn't used it much)

I bought a Nikon D60 for my sister, nice camera for the price.

I have shot with the D70, and played with the D80, and held the D90 in the store.

I personally prefer my k10D over the D200... the D200 is faster, but I really like the feel of my K10.... to be honest I have a brand new 20D... that has barely been used because I always grab the K10. (I really hate the live view feature, I can't stand it.. it seems cheep)

I almost gave up on Pentax a couple of years ago, I really didn't think the ist was up to the Pentax name, and it didn't stand up to the Nikons, or even the low end Can Rebel. I was about to go with Nikon, when the k10 came out.. went with the k10, lucky I waited.

I still think I made the right choice. I had a bag full lens, and the K10 feels a lot like the D200 (which was much more $). The D200 is still a better camera than D90, and my k20 is nicer then both.

To be honest, Pentax lets me down because they have not introduced a pro camera. My k20 cannot sit on the same self as the d300.. let alone the D700. And the D700 isn't even there PRO camera.. it is still considered by many Nikon fans to be semi pro.

CAN and Nik have pro level cameras, Pentax does not. If you are going to stay semi-pro stick with the Pentax.. if some day you want to go pro.. your going to have to change companies. Unless Pentax really surprises me. I sometimes wish I went Nikon, because I keep buying lens, and I am ready for a Pro camera. Even if I am not ready, I want a Pro camera.

But I cannot afford to buy all my glass again (there is a lot.. )

So K20 is better then the D90.. but the D90 may give you more options down the road.
Ummmm...Give me a reason that the K20D is NOT a pro camera. X-Sync input, weather proof, IQ, and resolution almost 15 MP as well as having had over 150 pages published using it for magazines from Hong Kong to the UK...Oh, and not to forget mentioning my expo at the 7th International Festival of Fashion Photography in Cannes, France this June till August 2009, where two of my K20D images will be blown up and exposed on the boardwalk to about 3X5 meters. Here is the poster. There are about 50 photographers from around the world who were chosen to expose.
Attached Images

Last edited by benjikan; 03-29-2009 at 05:37 AM.