Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2009, 11:44 PM   #76

QuoteOriginally posted by designinme_1976 Quote
From what I have read, the K20D is every bit as good as a Nikon D300 in most areas not counting Focus speed, Frames/second, and High ISO.

The D300 cost twice as much as the K20D.

I didn't mind the Canon 40D,
Hi, this review site contains interesting comparison photos for all three cameras you mentioned above in case you're interested:
Pentax K20D review Cameralabs noise results
Nikon D300 review Cameralabs noise results
Canon EOS 40D review Cameralabs noise results

From the above photos the K20D has the highest amount of noise at high ISOs (looking at 1600 ISO for comparison), but it also has the highest amount of detail at high ISOs and the least amount of blurring - eg. the only two cameras that really show the fine roof detail IMO (from the above three pages) are the K20D and 5D. The latter of course has much less noise. But all the other cameras were too blurry for my liking in comparison.

04-01-2009, 06:42 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by defiant Quote
Hi, this review site contains interesting comparison photos for all three cameras you mentioned above in case you're interested:......
I feel that most of these online test sites prove far less than they seem to prove. Almost invariably, they start out by shooting jpeg rather than raw, and by using the camera's default settings. What I want to know is, if I shoot raw, and if I know how to post-process the capture files using software like Neat Image or Noise Ninja, what kind of results can I get?

Will
04-02-2009, 08:56 AM   #78

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
The new Series ll 18-55 Pentax kit lens got a four star rating in several magazines here in France. It is no slouch really. Very sharp lens at any price point.
The store I purchased from had body only K20D's in stock. And since the only 18-55mm kit lenses they had to sell were first gen I opted to get a Promaster (Tamron) 18-200mm lens as my kit/walk around lens. That is the "kit" I was using to compare to my D90/18-105mm VR "kit" setup.
And congrats on your photos.
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
I feel that most of these online test sites prove far less than they seem to prove. Almost invariably, they start out by shooting jpeg rather than raw, and by using the camera's default settings. What I want to know is, if I shoot raw, and if I know how to post-process the capture files using software like Neat Image or Noise Ninja, what kind of results can I get?

Will
And (As I have stated in other posts) after comparing the jpegs used in the Imaging Resource review for comparing my D90 to the K20D I was pondering, I ran (not walk) to the nearest camera store to buy the K20D.
Considering how well the K20D cleaned up their Jpeg shots at 3200 and 1600 ISO compared to the D90 images I was almost beside myself imagining how much farther I could have pushed those images in RAW.

I am still scratching my head over the length of time it took for that site (Imaging Resource) to post a review. I know hindsight is 20-20 but I am damn sure that if I had read that review before I bought into the Sigma and later Nikon system I could have saved myself a ton of trouble and money cycling systems.