Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Canada - K10D Service experience

Alrighty! Soooo. My serviced K10D arrived at my house this afternoon after being sent off for service, with my complaint of poor focusing. Let's summarize the process.

- Contacted Pentax Canada by email to ask if I should send my K10D to a Pentax Authorized repair center or Pentax main center in Mississauga, Ontario. They advise to send to Mississauga.

- Camera is signed for by Pentax staffer January 8th.

- I receive emailed Estimate Jan 20th! (Ok, I was a little shocked at how long this took). Estimate was for "77777 Digital Miscellaneous" & "0076830 1-B52 Mirror Seat Assembly". Cost?: Parts $31.78 CAD, Labour $240 CAD, Shipping $10. Total cost with Canadian taxes was $318.41! Ouch!

- Called main office Jan 21st. Spoke to a nice bubbly lady in the Imaging dept, who l mentioned to that since the Mirror Assembly is a known common problem in the K10D. And politely asked if there was any room for a goodwill adjustment. Since my camera was only a couple months over, after she consulted with someone, a few minutes later they authorized 25% goodwill discount (shows on the invoice as "AC1118") New total after taxes is $241.63 CAD. While I really hoped Pentax Canada would swallow the whole cost, I didn't mind too much as I did wait until the dang camera was out of the warranty period.

- I was told the camera would be finished Feb 4th. Another 2 weeks eh? :-(

- Feb 4th rolls by, and no camera, no emails. Hm. Ok I'm patient. Email Pentax Canada Feb 5th and again Feb 9th, to no avail. Pickup my phone Feb 10th and call them up again. Got a different lady this time (seems the nice lady I spoke with originally was no longer with the company - Pentax head office... ever hear of checking departed frontline staff email for important correspondence??).

- Anyway, this new lady advises me that YAY! my camera had shipped UPS standard to me on Feb 9th. It arrives today, Feb 11th.

- So.. the end result? I sent K10D, FA50 and DA18-55. All 3 units came back to me LOOKING LIKE NEW. I mean POLISHED, spotless! (How the heck do they do that?!)

- Service Invoice shows sub-parts of the Mirror Seat Assembly work:
A31 C0 Adjust Screw (3)
A104 Mount Ring (1)
A403-0000D Certification Seal (1)
L2 Fresnel Lens (1)

- When I power on, K10D is all back to factory defaults. So I poke through the menus to reset stuff to my norms. Firmware is Version 1.30, just like it left me. (Anyone wanna tell me how to check the Hardware revision?)

- OK, off to the testing... my FA50. I've NEVER liked my FA50. It has NEVER been reliable or accurate on this K10D. Familiar story for lots of people. Now? Dead on accurate. Point at a calibration sheet (or reasonable facsimile thereof, and right on the money. Holy smoke, it's NEVER worked so well! Again, this is a familiar story for anyone who's sent their K10D in for this service. I'm VERY happy.

So yeah it cost a chunk of change... and really I had to think a little about the "should I just buy another body?" question. But another body might also have been out of alignment. Overall, I think it was worth the service cost. Lessons learned too: it *never* hurts to ask for a discount. That, and if you think you've a problem, don't wait.. send it in for service BEFORE the warranty ends :-S.

02-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a good story! I bought my K20d body from a dealer in Canada and may have to have any warranty work if need done at that facility. Congrats on your lens working great with that body now!
02-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #3

I was lucky, some adjustments in the firmware service mode fixed the focusing issues on my K10d. Glad you got yours working.