Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #31
Veteran Member
Ben_Edict's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthWest "Regio"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,303
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
The JPEG quality of the camera is fairly poor, as I recall, but it definitely is a good starter camera.

You can read the review by dpreview (don't take it ALL to heart, but listen to some of the better specs...it's a much better camera than they let you know) here:

Pentax K2000 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
I don't care about reviews. We actually have a K-m and I have used it and can only say, its a superb little performer:
- AF is fast and very reliable, even with a slow 18-200 zoom
- JPGs are nice to look at, sharp, pleasing colours and contrast
- handling is easy and fast
- the build-quality is typicall for Pentax: a very high level for its low price tag

It is exactly the type of camera, which can be carried around all the time. I gave it to my partner, who hasen't used a SLR for the last 10 years, always only Nikon Coolpixes. But now she got hooked and makes very good pictures from the very first day. I personally prefer the K10/K20, because auf the easier manual controls (two wheels, top lcd etc.) and overall more robust build, but am really surprised how good this little camera is.

Ben

02-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #32
Veteran Member
Ben_Edict's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthWest "Regio"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,303
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I've never really understood the reviewers' complaints with jpegs from any camera. First of all, most people will shoot raw. And secondly, if you do shoot jpeg, you can tweak all the in-camera settings to make the jpegs look pretty much however you'd like.
I think, most people will shoot JPG. I have no statistics to prove that, but I am pretty sure, because many amateurs have made the transit from p&s cameras but are not prepared to invest time on the computer to really post-process their images. At least ALL amateurs/beginners I know personally always use JPG.

Even most pros I personally know, use JPGs exclusively for certain applications, aka whenever time is at the premium (fashion, catalogue shots etc.). Even many customers which have their internal colour workflow explicitely damand the photogs to shoot JPGs with pre-defined settings to accelerate workflow and reduce cost.

And if I see the results from my K20 or the K-m, I am tempted to use JPGs myself.

Ben
02-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #33
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada eh!
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 674
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
That said, is there a "conventional wisdom" tweak for JPEGs that I should start with? I usually shoot raw on my K10 but other family members will be shooting JPEGs as they take turns with this body.
I'd be interested to hear some answers on this as well.

As for the K-M, I got a chance to handle one today and I'm impressed with the size. After extensive use with my K10D/K20D the K-M feels really small, but well constructed. I might have to find a way to convince my wife she needs one.
02-25-2009, 02:18 PM   #34
Veteran Member
Ben_Edict's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthWest "Regio"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,303
QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
As for the K-M, I got a chance to handle one today and I'm impressed with the size. After extensive use with my K10D/K20D the K-M feels really small, but well constructed. I might have to find a way to convince my wife she needs one.
The easist way to convience: give it her as a present! My partner got one for Christmas and is hooked to it since then...

Ben

02-25-2009, 08:06 PM   #35
Site Supporter
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,425
QuoteOriginally posted by arbutusq Quote
I am an experienced photographer who is very demanding on his gear and in his expectations for IQ and the KM is a wonderful camera and the only one I will take out now. The AF indicator bugged me for a minute or two but I got over it and now don't miss it at all.
I like to get input from arbutusq as I have planned to get a white pentax K-2000 special edition as a backup. But missing of AF indicator has placed a reason for me to hold off the purchase. And my indecision is not helped by the downturn of economy.

QuoteOriginally posted by dpreview on AF inidicator:
  • Unsophisticated, uninformative AF system with no indication of chosen point in viewfinder
Can someone clarify what is missing in the k-m for the AF indicator. Does that mean, I won't get a beep and a red dot in half-press and prior to shutter release? Since there are 5 focal points in k-m/k2000, is it true that I can't select the AF point to focus on other than the center focus. I am obviously confused by dpreview, please help me to understand the issues on AF indicators

Last edited by hinman; 02-25-2009 at 08:12 PM.
02-25-2009, 08:14 PM   #36
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,255
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
The JPEG quality of the camera is fairly poor, as I recall, but it definitely is a good starter camera.

You can read the review by dpreview (don't take it ALL to heart, but listen to some of the better specs...it's a much better camera than they let you know) here:

Pentax K2000 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
dpreview? They're doing it wrong.
02-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #37
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 46
I just got this camera on monday in the kit with the 18-55 and 50-200mm DA L lenses. I am VERY happy with this camera. I am amature, and I have not shot one photo in JPEG thank you very much to those saying that all amatures shoot in JPEG. I shoot everything in RAW and I love it. As some else mentioned, and is blatantly obvious, it kills any point and shoot camera in every way and if thats where you are coming from then this camera will not disappoint. The DA L lenses are much lighter then I expected, I saw the weight in the specs but really didn't realize it until I held them. The only thing I would like is DOF preview as others were mentioning, but I would NOT prevent me from buying this, even after taking a few shots with the K200d and K20d. Also this camera works great with the DA 35mm F 2.8 Macro Limited lens, having lots of fun with that. So over all I have a pretty light setup, which is a big reason I went with it as I'll be taking it hiking a lot, and if lightweight attracts you this should do it.
02-25-2009, 11:48 PM   #38
Pentaxian
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote


Can someone clarify what is missing in the k-m for the AF indicator. Does that mean, I won't get a beep and a red dot in half-press and prior to shutter release? Since there are 5 focal points in k-m/k2000, is it true that I can't select the AF point to focus on other than the center focus. I am obviously confused by dpreview, please help me to understand the issues on AF indicators

Hin,

The K-M has no red rectangle to indicate focus point with the shutter half-pressed, that's correct. It does display the green hexagon when focus is reached, though.

And there are 5 AF points, but you can only have auto-select or center-point only, meaning either let the camera select one of the 5 points, or just have it be the center point.

02-26-2009, 01:34 AM   #39
Site Supporter
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,425
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Hin,

The K-M has no red rectangle to indicate focus point with the shutter half-pressed, that's correct. It does display the green hexagon when focus is reached, though.

And there are 5 AF points, but you can only have auto-select or center-point only, meaning either let the camera select one of the 5 points, or just have it be the center point.
Thank you Jay, that helps a lot. Do the missing AF indicator bother you in the time that you had your k-m? I know you like the k-m, any pointers to share on AF improvement as compared to K20D/K10D will be much appreciated. If k-m does pick up a notch on AF, I have higher expectation and hope on the K20D follow up model.

I am pretty happy with K20D. The backup camera excuse for 2nd body came first with Nikon D90 and my dark side venture fell short when the storm trooper debuted months ago in 2008 as a special edition in white. And now I am finding excuses in not getting ANY cameras, not even the one-of-a-kind white pentax as a 2nd body for traveling. The economy does crazy things on the LBA/CBA mindset. But I can't get over the white camera yet, it is tempting.
02-26-2009, 02:31 AM   #40
Veteran Member
Ben_Edict's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthWest "Regio"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,303
QuoteOriginally posted by millertime Quote
I just got this camera on monday in the kit with the 18-55 and 50-200mm DA L lenses. I am VERY happy with this camera. I am amature, and I have not shot one photo in JPEG thank you very much to those saying that all amatures shoot in JPEG.
If you read my post again, you will find, that I emphasized, that my statement included all amateurs I do know personally! If you use RAW, you are a member of the remaining 10% - 20% club of photogs who shoot RAW (my guess).

Ben
02-26-2009, 02:51 AM   #41
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Budapest
Posts: 821
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Do the missing AF indicator bother you in the time that you had your k-m?
I also have the K-m. The lack of the used AF point indicator doesn't bother me at all. In fact, the first thing I did after turning on the camera the first time was selecting "center AF point only".
On every camera I ever used, I always selected center point only and turned off AF point indicator (if the camera allowed that). Fo me, locking focus with center point and recomposing (if necessary) was always way faster than screwing around to manually select the proper focus point (either because the previous manually selected point was inappropriate for the new theme/composition or because the camera automatically selected the "wrong" point).
Focus confirming green hexagon and double beep is all I need and it's there
02-26-2009, 03:08 AM   #42
Veteran Member
Ben_Edict's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthWest "Regio"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,303
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
I also have the K-m. The lack of the used AF point indicator doesn't bother me at all. In fact, the first thing I did after turning on the camera the first time was selecting "center AF point only".
On every camera I ever used, I always selected center point only and turned off AF point indicator (if the camera allowed that). Fo me, locking focus with center point and recomposing (if necessary) was always way faster than screwing around to manually select the proper focus point (either because the previous manually selected point was inappropriate for the new theme/composition or because the camera automatically selected the "wrong" point).
Focus confirming green hexagon and double beep is all I need and it's there
This is the way, I use my cameras too. But I was surprised how goood the K-m's automatic AF-point selection works - really useful.

Ben
02-26-2009, 07:06 AM   #43
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Do the missing AF indicator bother you in the time that you had your k-m?
Actually, it bothers me a lot, because the central AF focus is very large on the viewfinder. If I focus with a f:2.0 aperture, let's say on somebody's eye, I don't really know if it's focussing exactly where I want, as the central part covers a wider area.
02-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #44
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
QuoteOriginally posted by sato Quote
Actually, it bothers me a lot, because the central AF focus is very large on the viewfinder. If I focus with a f:2.0 aperture, let's say on somebody's eye, I don't really know if it's focussing exactly where I want, as the central part covers a wider area.
The focus indicators wouldn't help - they are much smaller than the actual focus sensor, and don't give you much idea at all of where the focus actually is when using center point focus. At least, that's how it is on the Pentax DSLR's that include them.
02-27-2009, 02:11 AM   #45
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Budapest
Posts: 821
QuoteOriginally posted by sato Quote
the central AF focus is very large on the viewfinder.
If your're talking about this-> ( ) than it has nothing to do with the central AF point as it is the spot metering frame.

And as Marc already wrote: AF pont indicators in the viewfinder doesn't reflect the real, exact physical locations of the sensors on any camera. The indicators just tell which sensor(s) is (are) being used for focusing, not the exact location of the sensors.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, pentax, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sunset Ride - the good and bad of the Pentax K-7 cwood Post Your Photos! 7 09-12-2009 08:54 PM
Are K-7 leaks good or bad for Pentax? cateto Pentax News and Rumors 2 05-20-2009 02:35 AM
Adapter Nikkor AI to Pentax K at eBay (good or bad?) Illuwatar Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 03-30-2009 01:18 PM
Camera Armor -- good/bad? yenemy Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 9 01-24-2009 05:56 AM
Beach Camera experiences? Good or Bad? rdrum76 Photographic Technique 12 01-10-2008 11:06 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:15 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top