Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #46

if you have used the multi-controller on canon X0D to choose AF point, you will love to switch AF point more often. just one click, that's it.

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
I also have the K-m. The lack of the used AF point indicator doesn't bother me at all. In fact, the first thing I did after turning on the camera the first time was selecting "center AF point only".
On every camera I ever used, I always selected center point only and turned off AF point indicator (if the camera allowed that). Fo me, locking focus with center point and recomposing (if necessary) was always way faster than screwing around to manually select the proper focus point (either because the previous manually selected point was inappropriate for the new theme/composition or because the camera automatically selected the "wrong" point).
Focus confirming green hexagon and double beep is all I need and it's there

02-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #47

Same here. My km had severe front focus on large aperture f/1.8 - f/2.8 when I first received it. Sent it to Pentax for AF adjustment. It comes back with some big improvement, but it still tends to front focus. BTW, I only used the center AF point.

Later I found that if I shoot my wife and focus on her eyes, I have to position her left eye on the top-left corner of () at horizontal composition, or her right eye on the bottom-right corner of () at vertical composition (counter-clockwise rotate 90 degree). In such cases, the majority of the () area is filled by her face. Then the AF is much more accurate than I directly position her eye in the center of ().

I also saw some Chinese users having similar front-focus issues on some online forums.

As the aperture becomes smaller (say, f/4), the increased depth-of-field covers up the front-focus problem.

QuoteOriginally posted by sato Quote
Actually, it bothers me a lot, because the central AF focus is very large on the viewfinder. If I focus with a f:2.0 aperture, let's say on somebody's eye, I don't really know if it's focussing exactly where I want, as the central part covers a wider area.
03-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #48

I would say the worst in K-m is the absence of remote shutter plug. So, it will be quite hard to shoot at night - you have either to keep shutter button pressed or keep ir remote control button pressed during the exposure. In first case you shake the camera, in second - you may run out of remote control battery (and its just inconvenient ).
03-06-2009, 10:50 PM   #49
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
. . .

I am pretty happy with K20D. The backup camera excuse for 2nd body came first with Nikon D90 and my dark side venture fell short when the storm trooper debuted months ago in 2008 as a special edition in white. And now I am finding excuses in not getting ANY cameras, not even the one-of-a-kind white pentax as a 2nd body for traveling. The economy does crazy things on the LBA/CBA mindset. But I can't get over the white camera yet, it is tempting.
At least Ned has a sense of humor!

Last edited by Blue; 03-06-2009 at 10:55 PM.