Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax KM-good and bad about this camera

I'm thinking about getting a Pentax KM and the 18-55 lens, I would use it as a general carry around camera for every day use. I would also use it as a second body for my K10D.

What is the good....the bad....about this camera. Thanks.

02-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The JPEG quality of the camera is fairly poor, as I recall, but it definitely is a good starter camera.

You can read the review by dpreview (don't take it ALL to heart, but listen to some of the better specs...it's a much better camera than they let you know) here:

Pentax K2000 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
02-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
The JPEG quality of the camera is fairly poor, as I recall,
DPR is the only review that suggests that, of all the reviews online. It is also based on contradictory criteria. Other reviewers have praised the jpeg quality. I would not assume that the quality is poor based on the opinion of a single reviewer.

Don't read DRP conclusions unless you are one of the C&N "sheep." They have given nothing but the highest rating for only those brands DSLR's for the past 5 years. (You can verify this easily) Even though they don't judge other brands by the same standards. (Saying that not having SR is not a negative because they assume many will "buy with IS lenses anyway for example.)

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 02-12-2009 at 03:37 PM.
02-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I guess that's the problem I had...the only review I know of was at Dpreview, but I believe they're now up at these other websites:

Digital Camera Resource Page - Unbiased Digital Camera Reviews and News

Digital Cameras, Digital Camera Reviews - The Imaging Resource!

I just haven't got around to reading them, yet.

02-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the JPEG complaints are nitpicky, but don't care that much as I generally shoot RAW. Anyway, a few annoyances about Pentax's K2000 & related releases - I think removal of focus scale and quickshift on the DA-L seems miserly, even more so than the plastic mount. They also removed optical depth-of-field preview and the ability to select individual focus points, and maybe even more importantly the viewfinder highlighting of which focus point was selected.

I would personally miss the top LCD too, and having to use the rear LCD in low light might be annoying as it is so bright.

The K200D is probably superior in several ways but if the point is small & light then these relatively minor quibbles shouldn't stop you. I still have my old *ist DS2 for small & light (K10D/K20D when I don't care), and even though it lacks SR will probably pass on the K2000 myself though I wouldn't let that dissuade you--I'm waiting for a new compact Pentax body with the larger Pentaprism viewfinder of the D/DS/DS2.
02-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The key with this camera is small/light entry level DSLR. At that it excels. I would think it is a heck of a lot better camera than the "bridge" cameras of the same size which have the tiny sensors of a P&S. This camera is not a k20d, but it is not priced the same either!
02-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If money is an issue though, I honestly would recommend an *ist DS or DS2, they have a pentaxprism viewfinder and only lack the SR but for about $200 less.

02-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only drawbacks I could see was the limited number of AF points, the lack of an AF point indicator, and the lack of DOF preview.

Steve

(Does anyone know if the KM/K2000 supports stop-down metering with older lenses?)
02-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Its a fine camera. It BLOWS P&S out of the water for speed and Image quality, exactly what it is meant for. Stop comparing it to the K10D, K20D, K200D - its not meant for an experienced DSLR shooter.

It just so happens to be a very good camera, with typical Pentax quality and features that place it in a category above its price.

Yes, its missing focus point confirmation... Would **I** like it? Yes I would, but I own a K10D and have become accustomed to having it. Know what? My wife has NEVER said a thing to me about that (yes, the K-m is her camera).

If an experienced DSLR shooter wants to use this as a back-up body, or even a main body, its not a problem. If you're into the finest quality you will already be shooting RAW anyway so any JPG "problems" are a non-issue. Same sensor as the K200D right? It seems to focus faster, especially in low light than the K10D, so its actually ahead there. The menu system is GREAT and MUCH easier to use than the K10D.

All-in-all Pentax has hit a home-run with this camera, its just THAT good.

- Andrew
02-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
(Does anyone know if the KM/K2000 supports stop-down metering with older lenses?)

Yeah it sure does. In M mode press the +/- button beside the "?" button.

- Andrew
02-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I'm thinking about getting a Pentax KM and the 18-55 lens, I would use it as a general carry around camera for every day use. I would also use it as a second body for my K10D.

The bad thing is that it is named "K-m", not "KM", and that there is already a Pentax KM.....and that the stupid confusingly similar name makes it damned near impossible to do a google search for the old film KM.

I'd love to have one.
02-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I am an experienced photographer who is very demanding on his gear and in his expectations for IQ and the KM is a wonderful camera and the only one I will take out now. The AF indicator bugged me for a minute or two but I got over it and now don't miss it at all.
02-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Oh and by the way, the K-m appears to be slightly better than the K10D at manual-lens exposure. That's one I'll have to explore in more detail.

- Andrew
02-12-2009, 05:38 PM   #14

Some good points for you...enjoy

Here are a few.

Pentax K2000: First Look - - PopPhotoOctober 2008

"Overall, the K2000 stacks up strongly against its competitors. We find the menubased control system more intuitive than some others -- just one of the details that makes Pentax a favorite among savvy photographers who watch what they spend. The K2000 should help Pentax hold onto its stellar reputation."

Digital Camera Reviews, Ratings of Digital Cameras & Comparisons of Popular DSLR Cameras - DigitalCameraInfo.com... ...y-Blog-Reviews-Pentax-K2000-19582.htm

“... the K-m continues the recent Pentax tradition of producing well-thought out DSLRs that offer great image quality."

Digital Camera Reviews, Ratings of Digital Cameras & Comparisons of Popular DSLR Cameras - DigitalCameraInfo.com... ...y-Blog-Reviews-Pentax-K2000-19582.htm

"The Pentax K2000 might just be the ideal digital SLR for 2009. If you're looking for a small, affordable, full-featured camera that is capable of producing fantastic images, then the K2000 seems like a good choice."

Pentax K-m Review - PhotographyBLOG

"...however, the Pentax K-m certainly hits the mark in terms of features, performance and most importantly image quality. The only major difference between the K-m and K200D is that the latter offers better low-light performance, with intrusive amounts of noise appearing at ISO 1600 rather than 800 on the K-m. In all other respects the 10 megapixel images from the cameras are very similar, with very little purple-fringing, accurate colours and a useful built-in flash and Bulb exposure mode, all delivered with the minimum of user input and effort."

Head to Head: Nikon D60 vs. Pentax K2000 at Head to Head: Nikon D60 vs. Pentax K2000

The Pentax shot is silky smooth, with great colors but more restrained contrast. Conversely, Nikon bumps the contrast right off the bat, and while transitions at both the highlight and shadow ends of the spectrum aren't as smooth, the D60's shot is definitely punchier out of the gate.

"On detail capture, it's again a pretty close race. To my eye, Pentax has finally figured out their processing when shooting JPEGs: gone are the days of watery, soft straight-from-camera JPEGs that earned Pentax a bad name among pixel peepers. In general, though, Nikon's excellent kit lens and slightly more aggressive sharpening give the D60 the edge when it comes to the amount of detail being resolved. But Pentax's kit lens, while not as nicely built or as universally strong, optically, as the Nikon 18-55mm, is no slouch either. At middle distances and relatively narrow apertures, in fact, it's impressively sharp as well.

Not surprisingly, there's a similar building of noise and grain in both cameras as sensitivity increases. But again, differences in processing yield some slightly different results in spite of the shared sensor, and in this case I think Pentax takes the honors with its more aggressive (and adjustable, if you'd like it less so) noise reduction. While the D60's showing more detail in textured areas at ISO 3200, this comes at the expense of more grain and noise than the super-smooth Pentax."
_______

In the end, it's the quality and inspirational energy of the photo that counts, and what gets in my way of trying to take it. Every so often I might just succeed. Luck seems to play a strange role in this. The Pentax K-m, it should be noted, does not get in my way. But reviews which display unconscious bias, do.
02-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #15

And here are my initial impressions soon after purchase

Here are my first impressions for those interested.

Positives
Elegant and smart menu system. More than one way to get to options if you want. Menus look good. Big text option.
Feels rock solid, well built: am used to a Canon S3IS. I still own my original Pentax KM, I'm starting to think it might end up feeling like another sturdy and simple KM, Why? Few buttons. Casing feels dense and tough, tougher than I expected it to feel.
Works with manual lenses from 1970's and 1980's easily: very pleased with this. Thought it would be more complicated. Check the results here on Picasa (the last three are with an old 50mm prime, but the EXIF does not seem to appear.
Size is perfect. Fits in the laptop bag so I can carry each day to work. More fun than a laptop This was really important to make sure I get the use out of the camera. Use it with the handstrap from an old Optio.
Plenty of scope for camera settings to stop the camera getting boring.
Really like the shutter sound: had missed this for the past few years.
Glad I did not have to throw away a memory card I will not use.
Fairly comprehensive manual. (I used to write these for a living.)
Good clear LCD. At last I can see this in daylight.
Thumbrest next to buttons works very well.
Flexible unit, and I can see this creating some great images.

Negatives
Viewfinder display a little dull, but still, for me, a real pleasure to use after my current camera.
A bit surprised I have to look through the viewfinder all the time. But after the useless Canon LCD (in daylight), I'm already used to this after a few hours. LCD could be better but brightness and colour can be adusted
Rudimentary software, looks dated.

Overall, pleased to be back in DSLR land: it was worth the wait for something portable with enough image quality, a chance to support Pentax, and be able to re-use a couple of reasonable lenses that were sitting in the cupboard for nearly ten years.