Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20D... a long time coming.

I was thinking of just piggybacking another K20d problems thread but decided to just go my own. I will try to make this short, but just wanted to vent.

I ordered a K20D 11/29/08 from Carmeta on ebay. That was when the microsoft thing was hot and I had around $270 knocked off of $779 with cashback and 10% ebay coupon. $520 for a K20D Killer deal!!
Well the first camera seemed to have issuses so I sent it back and got a replacement. No problems, no questions. I get the second body and this time the first time I slap a lens on it and snap a picture I get a black LCD. The camera was underexposing terribly. Carmeta won't do an exchange again but will refund. I don't want to lose the money I saved so I send it in to Pentax for a repair.
Pentax has it for around a week and sends it back. I get the camera late in the day so I only take a couple pictures with it but it seems to be fixed. Next day out I plan on spending a few hours but when I try to use it I find the AF.C, Af.S, manual switch is stuck. I can move it betwen AF.C and AF.S but not into manual.
?*#K *^&%^it.

Well it went back to Pentax of course and I have it on the way back as I write. I should have it in my hands again Monday. Please say a little prayer for me everyone. I don't know if I can do this anymore.

Last edited by OrenMc; 02-12-2009 at 06:43 PM.
02-13-2009, 01:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, I have been following your story since early on--what a shame! If I were you I think I would be climbing the walls. This must be a test--hang in there--eventually you will win and this will be all history.
02-13-2009, 03:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jewelltrail, I'm sure its got to work out this time. I am glad I didn't jump the gun with the sale of my K10D, I would have been without a camera completely and that would have put me over the edge.
I'm headed to the coast today for a little site seeing and picture taking so that will help take my mind off the wait..
Thanks again for the kind words.
02-13-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter

You're a patient person - far more so than I would be. BTW, when you get yours lined up, I think you'll love it. I'm far more impressed with my K20D than I expected to be.

Jer

02-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I'm far more impressed with my K20D than I expected to be.

Jer
Thats my hope and reason for purchase. Thanks Jer

BTW I have been very happy with the K10 and was very impressed when I first got it . I see a lot of folks jumping ship and I understand some of it but for my needs Pentax will do everything I ask and then some.

Last edited by OrenMc; 02-14-2009 at 04:25 PM.
02-17-2009, 06:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So I got my k20D yesterday and so far so good. Haven't had a chance to give it a full spin yet though. They didn't replace the body like I was hoping but it would seem by now that since it has been in there hands twice that it was given a thorough testing.
Anyway, just an update if anyone is interested. Probably not
Now I can use the money from the sale of the K10 to get a decent tripod which is a big dilemma also.
02-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
So I got my k20D yesterday and so far so good. Haven't had a chance to give it a full spin yet though. They didn't replace the body like I was hoping but it would seem by now that since it has been in there hands twice that it was given a thorough testing.
Anyway, just an update if anyone is interested. Probably not
Now I can use the money from the sale of the K10 to get a decent tripod which is a big dilemma also.
Good luck with the K20D. I hope it's finally, fully fixed. It's a lovely camera, as I'm sure you know/will soon figure out.

As for your tripod, I'd recommend Amvona.com. Browse their site, and then buy (from them) via ebay to save about 30-40%. Look at the completed auctions to see what a particular model is going for, and then set your bid accordingly. Don't worry about losing an auction as they run them several times a day, so you can just move on to the next auction. In a few days at most, you'll get a really nice deal.

I've used the AT-6703 with the pistol grip ball head. It holds my K20D/grip and Bigma. It weighs a ton, but is built like a Russian tank.